The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-11-2023, 02:54 PM

Default Linda Ronstadt on Playboy After Dark

Presented herein for the group's consideration is an archival, enthusiastic, feisty performance of Bob Dylan's "Walkin' Down The Line" by Linda Ronstadt, originally telecast on Hue Hefner's "Playboy After Dark" (aired in US syndication 1969-1970) April 7, 1970.

Additional information regarding the clip: Among Ronstadt's backing band members, check out pre-Eagles guitarist Bernie Leadon (red shirt)--plus, bass player John London of Michael Nesmith's First National Band; Chris Darrow is on fiddle; and John Ware (also from First National Band) plays drums.

Others in attendance--Pre-"Hee Haw" Barbi Benton sits to the left of Hugh Hefner; pre-Bionic Lindsay Wagner visible, as well (turns toward Ronstadt just before LR begins to sing).

Last edited by Inyo; 03-11-2023 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:15 PM

Such a shame Linda can no longer sing.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 03-11-2023 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Here in the UK BBC channel 4 often dedicates and evening to one singer and/or musician. Recently they dis a great evening on Linda.

Who could not love Linda?
Old 03-11-2023, 08:56 PM

Huge voice and one of my favorite singers but this illustrates that the wrong song just kills a performers effort. I absolutely love Blue Bayou, youre no good, Its so easy and so many more. Im not being negative, Im just offering my evaluation of that song. Still the band members are interesting to note.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

You wouldn't normally associate Hugh Hefner with country music, but that video was an interesting piece of 1970's pop culture. Linda was such a great singer - she could sing anything and it would sound fantastic.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 03-12-2023, 04:05 PM

That was great! I think everybody was in love with Linda Ronstadt
Old 03-13-2023, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Always loved Linda, and got to see and hear her up close in a concert when she was opening for Neil Young. She was just amazing. What a voice.
Here's a nice pic of her with the Swampers at Muscle Shoals right around that same time period.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-19-2023, 05:57 PM

That's great !!! Don't remember the Playboy show.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Huge voice and one of my favorite singers but this illustrates that the wrong song just kills a performers effort. I absolutely love Blue Bayou, youre no good, Its so easy and so many more. Im not being negative, Im just offering my evaluation of that song. Still the band members are interesting to note.
Apparently, I’m not listening to the same song you are.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-24-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinray View Post
You wouldn't normally associate Hugh Hefner with country music, but that video was an interesting piece of 1970's pop culture. Linda was such a great singer - she could sing anything and it would sound fantastic.
I guess she also did Opera? What's really interesting is one of her parents is from Mexico and the other is from Germany.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Presented herein for the group's consideration is an archival, enthusiastic, feisty performance of Bob Dylan's "Walkin' Down The Line" by Linda Ronstadt, originally telecast on Hue Hefner's "Playboy After Dark" (aired in US syndication 1969-1970) April 7, 1970.

Additional information regarding the clip: Among Ronstadt's backing band members, check out pre-Eagles guitarist Bernie Leadon (red shirt)--plus, bass player John London of Michael Nesmith's First National Band; Chris Darrow is on fiddle; and John Ware (also from First National Band) plays drums.

Others in attendance--Pre-"Hee Haw" Barbi Benton sits to the left of Hugh Hefner; pre-Bionic Lindsay Wagner visible, as well (turns toward Ronstadt just before LR begins to sing).

I'm undeading this thread to supply an additional Linda Ronstadt performance from that same Playboy After Dark appearance--an effectively evocative-emotive rendition of "Living Like A Fool."

Old 03-26-2024, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

The most famous person (and no doubt also the best singer) to come out of my high school. About ten years ahead of me. Never met her, but a good friend of mine was a second or third cousin (she was also a really good singer and makes her living playing music) and another good friend lived right across the street from her family’s rather large estate. They had acres of untouched desert between their houses and the road, so we’d go over there to get high as teenagers. Didn’t care that her brother (who still lived on that property) was Tucson’s police chief - there was no way anyone was gonna see us out there.

-Ray
Old 03-26-2024, 11:46 PM

There's something really creepy about those Playboy After Dark shows.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
There's something really creepy about those Playboy After Dark shows.
You beat me to it.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN