The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-19-2023, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Has it occurred to anyone, that we spend hundreds (some much more) to absorb and eliminate reflected sound waves in our space….then spend hundreds (some much more) on sophisticated reverb units to add simulated reflected sound waves to our space??
Yep it has but I guess it depends which way the wind is blowing (or the reflection is going) . At least is not as ironical as driving to Gym to get a workout

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-19-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Totally understand, but there is a degree of irony.
That degree of irony is directly related to oversimplification.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-19-2023, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

I’d love to record with no gobos, no room treatment…in a concert hall or maybe a cathedral. Just not in my spare bedroom. I don’t see any irony in treatment or going to great lengths to absorb sound. I see it as a requirement until I can record in Davies Symphony Hall.

Yes, adding a reverb plug-in is artificial, but so is EQ. So is compression. For that matter, so is adjusting relative volume among instruments. Unless the microphone hears nothing but the pure guitar sound, we need to strip the signal chain down to bare bones, so we aren’t mixing the noise in with the music. That means absorbing the noise enough so that the S/N ratio gives us a clear track to mix.

Ansel Adams wrote that all choices made by the photographer serve to create the final image imagined by the photographer — NOT an accurate rendering of the scene as seen by the eye. I look at music production that way, even if we’re trying to record a single acoustic guitar so it sounds the way we want it to.

Now, I still need to get on it and make those gobos! Eager to see how much they help.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 03-19-2023 at 10:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD