The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-07-2023, 04:35 PM

Default zoom h6

opinions anyone
Old 03-07-2023, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

It works well. I've used it for most of the videos on my You Tube channel (with external mics) - see link in my signature. Lots of people here use it. There are other Zoom options depending on what you want to do. The H5, for example, is basically the same, but with only 2 extra inputs and a few dollars cheaper. There's also the F series, which has no built-in mics, but offers 32 bits for effectively infinite headroom.

What do you want to use it for and are you wondering about?
Old 03-07-2023, 05:05 PM
J. Barry

I used a Zoom H5 for a few years but moved up to the F3. I think the preamps might be better than the H5 and I do like the F3's 32 bit. No input gain is needed to be set. You just raise the gain in your DAW.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-07-2023, 11:56 PM

The F series preamps definitely offer lower self-noise than the H5/H6 preamps. That lower self-noise is an important part of how the F6/F3 work because that sets the lower limit for the very wide dynamic range.

I would suggest that the frequency response, especially at the low end, might be flatter on the F series compared to the H series.

Like Doug I've shot many videos with the H6. Here's a playlist of the videos that used the H6 with its attached mics:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B_F3v1nnFucsWk

The F3/F6 are not as handy as the H5/H6 since they require external mics but the ability to ignore gain setting is a big benefit to me. And I'm probably benefiting from using external mics as well, since the mics I use are higher quality than the H5/H6 attached mics and they offer more flexibility in pattern and placement. I just happen to have a playlist of videos I've shot with the F6:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RrZS6r3zXlMD02

It turns out that Zoom has taken the next step by integrating the dual ADC 32 bit functionality of the F series into a group of handheld recorders with attached mics. The M4 is the first to be released, I don't know if they're actually available yet. Apparently there was a bug in some of the first units and they are being recalled and replaced.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-08-2023, 08:34 AM

Zoom has introduced the 32 bit dual converter technology into an inexpensive handheld recorder, the M2. As might be deduced from their naming, the M2 is half the price of the M4 but is 2 track and uses built-in mics with no provisions for using external mics.

Zoom M2 at Sweetwater

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD