The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-20-2023, 06:40 AM

Default Furch nylon vs Godin

Still looking for my nylon crossover main player. Neck/frets mean everything in my search. I've had the Multiac SA before and loved it, could play it all day.

No chance to get to play a Furch nylon. Can anyone compare them both? I'm worried the Furch nylon neck will be too thin (nut= 1 3/4" I am fine with that). And the frets will be smaller than the Godin. This is just based on looking at pictures. The you tubes I've heard of the Furchs sound just great.

Thanks for any perspective. I may order another Multiac SA and call it done, but I'd like the added acoustic properties of the Furch.

P.S. I've played a Taylor 312cen, and thought it was nice, but the neck was too thin (for me).
Old 03-20-2023, 03:32 PM

Haven't played the Furch nylon, but the demo videos sure sound good, I think.

If you haven't looked over the relatively new Cordoba Stage guitar, you might want to. The acoustic sound from it is wanting, but the electric tone is outstanding. It won me over when I was in your boat.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:15 AM

Coincidentally, Alamo Music just posted a video featuring the Furch comparing it to a Taylor nylon string:

Old 03-21-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ715 View Post
Haven't played the Furch nylon, but the demo videos sure sound good, I think.

If you haven't looked over the relatively new Cordoba Stage guitar, you might want to. The acoustic sound from it is wanting, but the electric tone is outstanding. It won me over when I was in your boat.
Agreed, the plugged in tone is excellent. I am going to see if I can try one somewhere. I already own a Cordoba Fusion spruce 12 fret, and the neck is not thick enough for me. Though the guitar is very nice, so much that I put an LB6 in it and it sounds good plugged in.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Coincidentally, Alamo Music just posted a video featuring the Furch comparing it to a Taylor nylon string:

That was excellent. Thank you for pointing that link out. I would be more interested in the spruce top Furch for more Jerry Reed snap, but this was informative. I've actually played a Taylor 814cen, and though I own and enjoy a 712ce 12 fret Taylor, I didn't care for the Taylor nylon, again the neck wasn't chunky enough....
Old 03-24-2023, 10:15 AM

Default Also interested in crossover nylon

I play a 1 and 3/4 nut steel. Some months ago i purchased my first nylon a Lucero 200 that i absolutely love playing BUT with small to medium hands i find my movements are slower due to the 2 inch nut. I would appreciate any recommended nylon guitar options around the 1 and 3/4 size nut size with excellent sound unplugged. I will pay for quality but like most i have found there is amazing quality and sound without paying for certain names. I have seen the video below and Furch is on my list along with Yari both have appx right size necks. Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2023, 06:16 PM

I hope we can keep this thread going. Yamaha I know makes a crossover nylon with some acoustic properties. Of course the gold standards are the Kirk Sand guitars. The Richard Smith model can be played unplugged enjoyably. High price tag and out of my range....
Old 03-24-2023, 06:50 PM

The January / February 2023 issue of Acoustic Guitar has a review of the new Kenny Hill Champion parlor classical guitar.

The Youtube videos demonstrate a very nice tone from this downsized acoustic.

It might be a great instrument for the "crossover" crowd with it's 620mm 24-3/8") scale length and 48mm (1.89") nut width, although it looks like it was designed primarily as a travel-sized guitar for the classical player.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-24-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:28 PM

Unfortunately the Furches only go up to 18 frets. I have a few music pieces that use that high B, so the Furches are not an option for me. Otherwise, I would like them a lot. Love their radius fretboards.

But Godin crossovers are thinline and lack bass. Plus, I'm trying to stay from the 2" nut widths, which they all have. So those are out, too.

The P650FIN from New World Guitars looks perfect for me. Sure wish there was one near me to try out.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-man View Post
Unfortunately the Furches only go up to 18 frets. I have a few music pieces that use that high B, so the Furches are not an option for me. Otherwise, I would like them a lot. Love their radius fretboards.

But Godin crossovers are thinline and lack bass. Plus, I'm trying to stay from the 2" nut widths, which they all have. So those are out, too.

The P650FIN from New World Guitars looks perfect for me. Sure wish there was one near me to try out.
Many of the Godin Multiacs have 1 7/8" nut widths. The Kenny Hill guitar could be perfect, I agree. 400 for a Barbera upgrade... I can't imagine it sounding less than great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical