The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-17-2023, 06:13 AM

I've been using a WA-47jr for about a year now and I've been a big fan.

Last night I ordered the WA-47 on Sweetwater after a $100 price drop.

My goal is to use both in Figure-8 like in the video below. I record into an SSL2+ interface with a MacBook Air/Logic.

This will be my first tube mic!

Old 04-18-2023, 05:13 PM

I’m strictly lo-fi when it comes to recording, more by circumstance than by choice. I cannot use baffles or wall treatments in my music room because of limited space; and I have an entire wall of floor-to-ceiling windows that face a busy street. The noise is always going to be there to some extent, and I’ve learned to live with it and make do. It’s actually ok, because my playing is relatively lo-fi, too. I’m not a clean, precise player like Glenn; there’s always a touch of sloppiness here and there, but that’s ok: I’m mostly recording things I write, so nobody else knows what they’re supposed to sound like. I think my ideas are good, and I know I’m a decent singer because I’ve done that for decades in bands. I have nothing to whine about: I do what I do with what I have. My guitars are decent, not fabulous. Mics I’m using now are an AKG P170 and Se model 7(both SDC) and an AT2035 and Warm Audio 47jr. (Both LDC) Once again, decent but not fabulous. One thing I can say for sure, though: the finest musicians using the finest gear in the finest studios don’t have more fun than I do. And to non-professionals, isn’t that the point? Whatever makes you happy is what you should do.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:05 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
One thing I can say for sure, though: the finest musicians using the finest gear in the finest studios don’t have more fun than I do. And to non-professionals, isn’t that the point? Whatever makes you happy is what you should do.
Great quote here! Yes, my room may sound terrible, but I am having a blast!
Old 04-19-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I’m strictly lo-fi when it comes to recording, more by circumstance than by choice. I cannot use baffles or wall treatments in my music room because of limited space; and I have an entire wall of floor-to-ceiling windows that face a busy street. The noise is always going to be there to some extent, and I’ve learned to live with it and make do. It’s actually ok, because my playing is relatively lo-fi, too. I’m not a clean, precise player like Glenn; there’s always a touch of sloppiness here and there, but that’s ok: I’m mostly recording things I write, so nobody else knows what they’re supposed to sound like. I think my ideas are good, and I know I’m a decent singer because I’ve done that for decades in bands. I have nothing to whine about: I do what I do with what I have. My guitars are decent, not fabulous. Mics I’m using now are an AKG P170 and Se model 7(both SDC) and an AT2035 and Warm Audio 47jr. (Both LDC) Once again, decent but not fabulous. One thing I can say for sure, though: the finest musicians using the finest gear in the finest studios don’t have more fun than I do. And to non-professionals, isn’t that the point? Whatever makes you happy is what you should do.
I sure do resonate a lot with what you said there. I try to listen and learn from those that can do things better than me, or who have bigger budgets or better rooms, but that's not keeping me from enjoying myself in the mean time.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-20-2023, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... One thing I can say for sure, though: the finest musicians using the finest gear in the finest studios don’t have more fun than I do. And to non-professionals, isn’t that the point? Whatever makes you happy is what you should do.
Yep! I love making and recording music in my studio! I feel extremely fortunate and I'm generally pretty happy with my results. I'm not trying to make any money at music anymore; I just want to enjoy the experience and I'm doing that.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD