The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-03-2015, 11:06 AM

Default light strings on Carbon gits

So I read a post by Ted at LA guitars where he said there is often a diminishing return by using 13s. Is this consistent across most builders? I'm still working on the "truss rod vs. no truss rod" question, and it would change things considerably if light strings gave full performance out of most if not all carbon guitars.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM

Hello Blue...I put John Pearce lights on my X-20 a few days ago, and noticed a slight diminishment in volume...easier to play than my D'adarrio EXP mediums, with no "slap" noticed...The "projection" in the Bass was a little more diminished, but is tolerable... There is no trussrod in my Emerald but the relief is unchanged...So far,(to my ear), the tone of the D'adarrios is superior, but I will wait another week or two to see if the lights "grow on me"...

Hope this helps Amigo...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber