The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-17-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Need some recorder suggestions

I'm looking to switch my recording set up for live gigs.

Currently, I'm using a Sony Mini-disc player, but there's a major drawback to this setup. When pulling the songs to computer, I have to do it in real time. Ugh, what a pain...

So what I'm looking for is an iPod type device that will allow me to pull the whole thing off as a WAV file (preferrably) or a HIGH bit-rate mp3.

Anyone know of a device like this? I've come across one or two that have a line in, but haven't gotten into research enough to find out if these will do what I want to do.

Thanks for any help folks!

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 AM

I'm utilizing an iRiver H320 for recording (both line-in & internal mic). Quality is good and can be done at a high bit-rate. I believe the H series recorders/players can save in either mp3 or wav format.
Here's a link that might be of interest: http://www.misticriver.net/showthrea...ight=recording
Tokai Love Rock
Old 03-20-2006, 04:08 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the link!

BTW, I just learned that the new video iPod is capable of line in recording, so now it's a question of whether I want an iPod or something else

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-20-2006, 06:49 PM

Go to a Hi-MD Sony MD player from the unit you currently use.

It's backwards compatible to your existing recordings HOWEVER Hi-MD allows for some improvements that you're looking for.

1) Ability to record in uncompressed WAV format, versus having to record with ATRAC compression like on your current unit. However, you can still select varying degrees of ATRAC compression on a Hi-MD unit if you want to use compression.

2) Two-Way ( PC > Hi-MD or Hi-MD > PC ) Hi-speed transfer communication via USB versus only having one-way ( PC > Net-MD ) hi-speed transfer via the USB on your current unit.

3) 1 Gig storage on the disc, versus something in the neighbourhood of 350Mb on non Hi-MD units.

You can still use ( record and play ) your old recordings and non Hi-MD discs in a Hi-MD unit, so that way you don't have to re-record your current MD discs, or re-compress them to convert them to different formats that might be needed if you switch to an iPod for example.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:33 AM

I was under the impression that Hi-MD was still only one way. You could transfer as files TO your MD from PC, but not as files FROM MD to PC. Transfer to PC is still real-time. But I haven't researched the latest technologies in MD because I'm pretty well decided that I'll be moving away from MD.

The truth is, while I like the MD for recording, it's sort of a one-trick pony for me. I don't like it as a music player, but I do for recording. I'd definitely prefer some sort of mini hard drive type of player.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell