The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-01-2023, 10:14 PM

Default Peeling finish on neck

So I just purchased a 1934 L-50 in pretty rough shape. I haven't received it yet. I'm fairly certain I can get it back in working condition without redoing any of the cosmetics (finish, etc). I'm not worried about resale value or diminishing the collectability but, I do like the Mojo that comes with these old instruments. I have no desire to make it shiny new. Old and loved is fine by me. Just get the cracks fixed/stabilized, everything cleaned and fix the stuff that just isn't right. My question is the neck. The finish is not only cracking but peeling and rough. As my main goal is to make this playable, how would you treat the finish on the neck. It has to be much smoother than it is for playing. The rest of the guitar is not peeling like this. Your thoughts are appreciated. If your answer is, just play it, it will fix itself, I'm OK with that.
n.jpg
2018 Taylor 814ce LTD NAMM
2019 Taylor Baritone 8
1937 Gibson L-37
2005 Gibson J-45 Historic
2014 Gibson Les Paul Acoustic Prototype

Last edited by wblock77; 06-01-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:09 PM

I have a couple 1930's instruments - a Stahl banjolin and Regal resonator mandolin. I also have a '46 Kay upright bass. I play these instruments, and I know some playability mods may hurt the vintage or resale value.

I'm a fan of smooth unfinished (aka "speed") necks. If I had a rough, scratchy, peely finish on any instrument neck I'd scrape it clean. I've used plastic scrapers, 0000 steel wool and Scotch-Brite pads to do this.

Most often the problem is gloss building up on a neck, in which case I'll just degloss with steel wool or the scotchbrite. But if brought down to bare wood (like the Regal) I'll treat the neck to a light tung, tru, or linseed oil rub. I let the oil stay on for maybe 30 minutes then wipe off and buff. It leaves a very nice smooth, satin, non-sticky feeling neck, like most orchestral stringed instruments have.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:35 AM

Thank you so much for the advice. This sounds like a good plan.
2019 Taylor Baritone 8
1937 Gibson L-37
Old 06-02-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblock77 View Post
So I just purchased a 1934 L-50 in pretty rough shape. I haven't received it yet. I'm fairly certain I can get it back in working condition without redoing any of the cosmetics (finish, etc). I'm not worried about resale value or diminishing the collectability but, I do like the Mojo that comes with these old instruments. I have no desire to make it shiny new. Old and loved is fine by me. Just get the cracks fixed/stabilized, everything cleaned and fix the stuff that just isn't right. My question is the neck. The finish is not only cracking but peeling and rough. As my main goal is to make this playable, how would you treat the finish on the neck. It has to be much smoother than it is for playing. The rest of the guitar is not peeling like this. Your thoughts are appreciated. If your answer is, just play it, it will fix itself, I'm OK with that.
Attachment 93111
If it were mine I'd sand the remaining flakes off and apply Osmo PolyX hard oil. I've posted about using it before. It works well as an actual sealant and feels like a polished bare wood neck. I've done several instrument necks with it and I doubt I'll ever use anything else.

You can see what the finish looks like in THIS build topic.

You can read about the product and how to use it HERE in this AGF topic.

Love the Osmo PolyX for lots of finish applications. Here's one of the small cans that are readily available on Amazon. That small can is enough to do 3 or 4 complete instruments, though.

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-03-2023 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:02 PM

Default a thought

Graze around and look up what Willie Nelson's 'Trigger' gets for stabilization.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:37 PM

Default Thanks.

These are the replies I was hoping to receive. Thank you. I'll know more when it gets here but it appears the whole neck back is this way clear down and including the heel.
p.jpg
2019 Taylor Baritone 8
1937 Gibson L-37
Old 06-03-2023, 01:09 PM

Rudy = I checked out the guitar you made. Just beautiful but more than that, it sounds awesome. So does your playing. I love the tone. Question for you about the Osmo - I really don't think I am wanting to affect the headstock but rather, just the area that is touched when playing. If I take that approach, am I going to have issues where the Osmo an old nitro overlap: If I were to decide to do the whole neck, that would not be a problem. I just want to know what my options are.

Phavrluk - thx, I will do that.
2019 Taylor Baritone 8
1937 Gibson L-37
Old 06-03-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblock77 View Post
Rudy = I checked out the guitar you made. Just beautiful but more than that, it sounds awesome. So does your playing. I love the tone. Question for you about the Osmo - I really don't think I am wanting to affect the headstock but rather, just the area that is touched when playing. If I take that approach, am I going to have issues where the Osmo an old nitro overlap: If I were to decide to do the whole neck, that would not be a problem. I just want to know what my options are.

Phavrluk - thx, I will do that.
Thanks for the kind comments, they are appreciated.

There would be no problem with only doing the areas of contact. It's important to remove all of the old finish and sand to 220 where the new finish will be applied, then follow the normal application procedure.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:06 PM

It might be a bit annoying on the thumb playing with all those bumps and edges. A collector would rather have the original finish though. I've used shellac to 'glue' the chips in place and build it up a bit to make it smoother. Technically that is refinishing which collectors don't like either but where it's the play-ability involved you have to make a judgement call.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
1934, finish, gibson, l-50