The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2023, 06:55 AM

Default Looking for Multi-Channel, All-In-One Amp

Been a while since I've posted...

I am looking for a good multi-channel amp that can handle acoustic, tracks, a Beat Buddy, maybe some bass, and vocals. I need it to be loud enough to carry a cocktail hour in a small-to-medium sized lounge on its own as an all-in-one PA, but I don't need it to carry a hall. Hopefully that helps.

For comparison, the Roland BA-330, while it has the right features, is absolutely NOT close to loud enough once you introduce electronic drums.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there, but I do regret not buying, for example, a Carvin AG300, which, by all accounts, would have done the trick.

So, does anyone have any experience with either the Hughes & Kettner Era 2 or the (completely opposite end of the spectrum) Laney Audio Hub AH300? I'd also love to hear from anyone who has any other suggestions for a loud and clean-ish amp the will take an acoustic guitar, bass, vocals, and a drum machine.

Any thoughts?

Joe
Old 05-30-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInOttawa View Post
Been a while since I've posted...

I am looking for a good multi-channel amp that can handle acoustic, tracks, a Beat Buddy, maybe some bass, and vocals. I need it to be loud enough to carry a cocktail hour in a small-to-medium sized lounge on its own as an all-in-one PA, but I don't need it to carry a hall. Hopefully that helps.

For comparison, the Roland BA-330, while it has the right features, is absolutely NOT close to loud enough once you introduce electronic drums.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there, but I do regret not buying, for example, a Carvin AG300, which, by all accounts, would have done the trick.

So, does anyone have any experience with either the Hughes & Kettner Era 2 or the (completely opposite end of the spectrum) Laney Audio Hub AH300? I'd also love to hear from anyone who has any other suggestions for a loud and clean-ish amp the will take an acoustic guitar, bass, vocals, and a drum machine.

Any thoughts?

Joe
Given your needs I'd look for a small PA. When it comes to adding electronic percussion and bass "size matters". I would audition a personal PA with drivers at least 10".

A small PA will give you all the inputs you need, built-in reverb, and you can use it mono with one speaker for small gigs. Bring both speakers for larger venues.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I would audition a personal PA with drivers at least 10".
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the response!
Old 05-30-2023, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I’d check out the EV Evolve 50M—I don’t think an amp would cover all of your needs.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:55 PM

Thanks! I appreciate it!
Old 05-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Looked at the EAE D6-58, or the Schertlers?
Old 06-01-2023, 05:13 AM

Yes a Carvin AG300 will do all that. It's basically a 3 channel, 3-way powered speaker with built-in effects. It can be set on the floor or on a stand or a speaker pole.

48 volt phantom power, line out to another FOH system if needed, 3.5 mm aux input, USB port. Two selectable HI-Z input channels with 1/4" and XLR. Third channel is XLR only. All three have independent EQ and effects settings. I use my passive SBT fiddles, ukulele, mandolins, guitars, banjo and double bass on this amp with no preamp or DI and they all sound great!

Weighs around 35 lbs. Can plug in a second passive speaker to make it a PA. It claims 300 W output like that. I know I've played plenty of indoor and outdoor gigs with it and it's never come up short. For $600 new (about 5 years ago) I didn't find anything else that covered all those bases.

As you know, the only problem is they don't make them anymore. I'm not shopping for an amp now but if I were I'd be trying to find one of these on the used market (not selling mine either). I'd be interested if anyone stepped up to fill the void left by Carvin here - mine won't last forever....

Last edited by Mandobart; 06-01-2023 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:00 AM

Default Being in Canada...

I really do wish I had grabbed a Carvin AG300, but they are few and far between these days. To make matters worse, I live in Canada -- a place where Carvin for years refused to ship. I am close enough to the US border that, if I could find one, I could go pick it up, but finding one, well, that's a bit of a trick.

Going to the other end of the spectrum, does anyone here have any experience with the H&K Eras? Because i will be using a Beat Buddy drum machine, I am specifically interested in the Era 2, but any info is appreciated.

I might just post a fresh thread to better expose this specific question...
Old 06-02-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInOttawa View Post
I really do wish I had grabbed a Carvin AG300, but they are few and far between these days. To make matters worse, I live in Canada -- a place where Carvin for years refused to ship. I am close enough to the US border that, if I could find one, I could go pick it up, but finding one, well, that's a bit of a trick.

Going to the other end of the spectrum, does anyone here have any experience with the H&K Eras? Because i will be using a Beat Buddy drum machine, I am specifically interested in the Era 2, but any info is appreciated.

I might just post a fresh thread to better expose this specific question...
I have listed one for sale on kijiji.ca. It’s in mint condition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
ah300, all-in-one-pa, era-3, hughes&kettner, laney