The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-25-2023, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Yes, Wonderful Tonight is awful.

But the 8+ minute live version is even worse If I' m told I have 8 minutes to live, that one's getting played!
SOOOOO AGREE ! My wife calls it the "headache" song.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I love Air Supply, Wonderful Tonight, More Than Words AND Muskrat Love. Struggling to think of a syrupy love song that I don't like.
As well as 'silly love songs' too. Are we weird? LOL

Billy
Old 05-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
What is up with the Wonderful Tonight haters?
I like the song and my lady requests it often.
I have always DESPISED this song and it is not because it is too sappy, it is because it seems so agonizingly slow! It packs the dance floor because men, all they have to do is gently sway back and forth. I hate that song!

Last edited by LiveMusic; 05-25-2023 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
from wikipedia, for what that's worth:

Though marketed as a band, it would be more accurate to say that the name "Ohio Express" served as a brand name used by Jerry Kasenetz's and Jeffry Katz's Super K Productions to release the music of a number of different musicians and acts. The best known songs of Ohio Express (including their best scoring single, "Yummy Yummy Yummy") were actually the work of an assemblage of studio musicians working in New York
Wikipedia has conflicting info on this (go figure).
First it says the band was formed in Mansfield,Ohio (which it was). Then it says what you quoted here.
The truth is the band was formed in Mansfield and Dale Powers and Dean Kastran who formed the band are in fact, still performing as a duet in the area as I stated earlier. I lived and continue to live in the area and I saw the “Ohio Express” perform in my town and they played that song at their gigs long before they ever released it on vinyl.
It’s no big deal, but for the fact that “local band makes it big” was a feel good story for our area back then.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-26-2023, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
What is up with the Wonderful Tonight haters?
Yeah, seems to be a pile-on of WonTon hate. Here's my position on this: To paraphrase Robin's eloquence in Batman Forever, the chicks dig it. Plus, I must admit, I do a killer job on it. My liking or not liking it is not a factor. So it stays on my song list.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Yeah, seems to be a pile-on of WonTon hate. Here's my position on this: To paraphrase Robin's eloquence in Batman Forever, the chicks dig it. Plus, I must admit, I do a killer job on it. My liking or not liking it is not a factor. So it stays on my song list.
Sorta’ like Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline”. I don’t like playing it, but the masses like it so it gets played.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-26-2023, 06:42 AM

I totally get the subject and the point. There are some songs I just can’t stomach. It’s usually the lyrics not the music. Let’s face it, some of the best songs ever have simple music.

As much as I love his other music, can’t stand Longer by Fogelberg.

Same for If by Gates. He wrote great songs but I’m not a fan of this one.

Interesting that Silly Love Songs was mentioned. That’s a favorite of mine. Come on, it’s sugary on purpose! That’s the whole point - it’s a silly love song. When we play that one in our live show people go crazy. Another guilty pleasure song like that is Love Will Keep Us Together. The crowd responds really well to it! And that’s why I enjoy playing - crowd response. We do plenty of “higher integrity” songs that redeem us - ha ha. But I’ll always be a sucker for a great catchy pop song that gets a great reaction. If that means I lose the respect of some snobby musicians, I’m ok with that. I’m not trying to impress them! 😉

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 05-26-2023, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I’d listen to all the songs that have been listed on loop if I never had to hear this song again:
Muskrat Love
^^^ That One!!!
Old 05-26-2023, 07:33 AM

Any song by Bread, and An Old Fashioned Love Song, Three Dog Night.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I’d listen to all the songs that have been listed on loop if I never had to hear this song again:
Muskrat Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs
Ha ya beat me to it ..

As for overly syrupy songs in general = While I don't forward the energy to rise to the level of hate or despise. I do range from boredom to complete indifference

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-26-2023, 08:28 AM

I am surprised that no one has brought up a song that went from giant hit to a punchline in record time: You're Beautiful by James Blunt.

Lady in Red hits a raw nerve when he sings about "dancing with me" saying it as "daahhhncing" with that execrable upper class British accent.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post

Interesting that Silly Love Songs was mentioned. That’s a favorite of mine. Come on, it’s sugary on purpose! That’s the whole point - it’s a silly love song.

McCartney's supernatural tsunami of creative energy was/is as broad as any dozen or more artists, resulting in countless masterpieces (and some real clunkers as well) all subjective to millions of listeners.

The folklore I've gathered over decades is that 'Silly Love Songs' was McCartney's rebuttal to some of Lennon's post-Beatles interviews in which he bitterly dismissed Paul's "lightweight love songs [that made no meaningful contribution to the world]."

While the song doesn't make me regurgitate (like Tommy Rowe's 'Dizzy'), I find the backstory fascinating in that a barb exchanged between former bandmates at odds with each other would manifest itself in yet another platinum seller.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I have always DESPISED this song and it is not because it is too sappy, it is because it seems so agonizingly slow! It packs the dance floor because men, all they have to do is gently sway back and forth. I hate that song!
I like to play slow songs.
Or play a fast song real slow
Fall asleep on my version of Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Old 05-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
I totally get the subject and the point. There are some songs I just can’t stomach. It’s usually the lyrics not the music. Let’s face it, some of the best songs ever have simple music.

As much as I love his other music, can’t stand Longer by Fogelberg.

Same for If by Gates. He wrote great songs but I’m not a fan of this one.

Interesting that Silly Love Songs was mentioned. That’s a favorite of mine. Come on, it’s sugary on purpose! That’s the whole point - it’s a silly love song. When we play that one in our live show people go crazy. Another guilty pleasure song like that is Love Will Keep Us Together. The crowd responds really well to it! And that’s why I enjoy playing - crowd response. We do plenty of “higher integrity” songs that redeem us - ha ha. But I’ll always be a sucker for a great catchy pop song that gets a great reaction. If that means I lose the respect of some snobby musicians, I’m ok with that. I’m not trying to impress them! 😉
I am quite surprised that "If" by David Gates has such disfavor. I mean the song, not the recording. I love the arrangement, the chords. Somebody knows what they're doing composing that. Gates! Has a background in music theory. As for the recording, I don't care for the tremelo sound in it, whatever that is. As just a guitar or piano with vocal, an outstanding song seems to me. We all sure see/hear things differently!

I am also surprised that Silly Love Songs and Love Will Keep Us Together go over so well! Interesting, thanks for posting!
Old 05-26-2023, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
McCartney's supernatural tsunami of creative energy was/is as broad as any dozen or more artists, resulting in countless masterpieces (and some real clunkers as well) all subjective to millions of listeners.

The folklore I've gathered over decades is that 'Silly Love Songs' was McCartney's rebuttal to some of Lennon's post-Beatles interviews in which he bitterly dismissed Paul's "lightweight love songs [that made no meaningful contribution to the world]."

While the song doesn't make me regurgitate (like Tommy Rowe's 'Dizzy'), I find the backstory fascinating in that a barb exchanged between former bandmates at odds with each other would manifest itself in yet another platinum seller.
Funny you say regurgitate... I do the same when I hear "Funny Face," a country song by Donna Fargo. I hope I never hear that song again.

I met Tommy Roe one time, super friendly guy. He did have some pop hits. I guess that is 'bubblegum.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic