The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-20-2023, 07:46 AM

Default DADGAD Players!

Calling all DADGADers.. I play a lot of Lawrence Juber material , some I can sing to. When I play out ,there are a few more tunes I converted to sing to in that tuning. I am looking to see if you guys have a repoitiore of DADGAD tunes you sing to.In other words I am looking for more songs to play... Also; there is some" coffee " webpage that has a bunch of dadgad tuning songs ,can't remember the name of the site...? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Calling all DADGADers.. I play a lot of Lawrence Juber material , some I can sing to. When I play out ,there are a few more tunes I converted to sing to in that tuning. I am looking to see if you guys have a repoitiore of DADGAD tunes you sing to.In other words I am looking for more songs to play... Also; there is some" coffee " webpage that has a bunch of dadgad tuning songs ,can't remember the name of the site...? Thanks.
There are quite a few famous songs that use DADGBD as well. Ohio (CSN&Y Four Way Street live version) and Kashmir come to mind.

+
Old 05-20-2023, 08:25 AM

Richard Shindell has a ton of DADGAD tunes and he's the one who introduced me to the tuning.

https://www.mmreview.com/ronsfolkchords/shindell.htm

Check out Reunion Hill, The Next Best Western, Wisteria, Che Guevara T-Shirt to name a few.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

OK... I don't play DADGAD, but do occasionally mess around with it (like in Elzic's Farewell" in my sign below.)

I reckon that you could put lots of folk songs and hymns to a DADGAD backing without any trouble. I don't know any "official" DADGAD chord names or shapes, but it is straightforward to make them up yourself to follow and support a melody.

I have just thrown my guitar into DADGAD and the first song I thought I'd try was "Angel Band". It is nice and slow and has a simple melody with 3 chords when I play it in standard tuning. It's only taken a few minutes to work out that capo 4 fits my voice, and to make up some chords and fills. If I worked on this for a few hours I think I'd end up with quite a Celtic version of the song.

I wonder if this may be an approach that would work for you? It sounds like you are a long way into DADGAD playing already. Can you simply make up some backing of your own to folk songs - rather than looking for DADGAD specific artists' work? I bet that there are hundreds of folk songs that you could build DADGAD accompaniment for pretty easily.

I've been doing a project with a guitarist in our village. I have built a fretted zither designed to play Welsh dance tunes. He has accompanied me at concerts on DADGAD guitar, creating the backing as we rehearse.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 05-20-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:42 AM

Bert Jansch had a few in DADGAD:

Avocet
Bird Song
The Blacksmith
First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Go Your Way My Love
Jack Orion
Love Is Teasing
St Fiacre

The easiest of those is Go Your Way My Love.

If you want instrumentals, St Fiacre is the easiest of the three there, but still a little tricky. Avocet is extremely long, with a few easy parts and a lot of fiendishly difficult ones. (I have 9 lessons on it on my youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PYDJQcSDcA.)
First Time Ever is intermediate/advanced (he recorded instrumental and vocal versions).

First Time Ever and Bird Song can be found in this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bert-Transc.../dp/178558555X
Old 05-20-2023, 10:42 AM

These are great suggestions ! But there was a website with some more familiar tunes too. I asked this question before and someone gave me the site ,but for the life of me I can't locate it. It had something to do with "Acoustic Coffee" or something . I will check out all these too Thanks !
Old 05-20-2023, 11:26 AM

Talking

Quote:
These are great suggestions ! But there was a website with some more familiar tunes too. I asked this question before and someone gave me the site ,but for the life of me I can't locate it. It had something to do with "Acoustic Coffee" or something . I will check out all these too Thanks !
Here you go!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=557635
Old 05-20-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Ok ,thanks ,that was it... it comes up as Forbidden 403... whatever that means. maybe it doesn't exist anymore.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Ok ,thanks ,that was it... it comes up as Forbidden 403... whatever that means. maybe it doesn't exist anymore.
Yeah, I guess whomever stopped supporting it.

Now go listen to some Richard Shindell!
Old 05-20-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Yeah, I guess whomever stopped supporting it.

Now go listen to some Richard Shindell!
Ok ! I am listening right now .. I have heard of him thru the years but never listened , this is great stuff ! Thank you!
Old 05-21-2023, 06:28 PM

I'm just getting into DADGAD.
Like the OP, I like Laurence Juber. I'm half way through learning his version of "Dear Prudence."
I also play Stills' "Tree Top Flyer" in DADGAD.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write