The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-19-2023, 07:41 PM

Man, I don't know what to think. You got the experts asking for help with regulations.
I'm still living 60% analog and 40% digital. Too much of a learning curve for me.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
At the age of 73 I frequently say that it's really not my world anymore as I hear about technological and social conventions (and the resulting issues) that don't make much sense to me...
At the age of 75 (me) and 76 (current wife) I must say that sometimes we look t each other and say the same thing.

Technology is an issue - I'm trying to effect a transfer of our Internet and phone service to full fibre from copper, and encountering questions from seeming children in the various companies saying "why would you want a ... "landline" -we want to maintain the phone number that we've had for 42 years and is known to every family, friend, public utility, health service, legal, and financial organisation.
When we try to watch TV - we see programmes that are definitely NOT aimed at anyone over forty.

Our preferred radio channel (BBC Radio 4) seems obsessed with teen and twenties "poor me" stories.

"This world ain't my home, I'm just passin' through"!
Old 05-20-2023, 05:21 AM

I sometimes leave my phone at home and go out to my cabin in the woods and light a fire.

Play some acoustic guitar by the fire, watch the wildlife, listen to the silence.

I've noticed there is no stupidity in the middle of the woods.

Just an observation.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-20-2023, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Recently congress has been having conversations with all the AI inventers and developers.The inventors and developers are actually asking congress to get ahead of this and regulate it.they said there is real danger that it could harm civilization,or even destroy it
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I think there's a lot of risk that AI brings up. Like a lot of recent tech (think Facebook and social media), AI tech moves faster than law or regulation can move, so there'll be conventions and restrictions that will only be arrived at the hard way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
Man, I don't know what to think. You got the experts asking for help with regulations.
I'm still living 60% analog and 40% digital. Too much of a learning curve for me.
How is a government entity going to regulate advancement in technology? There is no way to control it. Technology is global and any regulation would be unenforceable anyway. It can't be stopped.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-20-2023, 05:53 AM

Way above my pay grade, but my gut feeling is that if we embrace it as a species it'll remind us of the little girl who when she was good she was very good and when she was bad she caused mass extinctions.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-20-2023, 03:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I think the media is yanking our chains.

A.I. is software. It's written by us.

When software can write itself, distribute itself into the internet, our computers, other devices, gain control of the before said and then get up and turn off the lights and get go a soda, then we're in trouble.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-20-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think the media is yanking our chains.

A.I. is software. It's written by us.

When software can write itself, distribute itself into the internet, our computers, other devices, gain control of the before said and then get up and turn off the lights and get go a soda, then we're in trouble.
Right, because people never do anything stupid or malicious.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Right, because people never do anything stupid or malicious.
Come on Frank, you can do better than that.

I'm talking about A.I., not human nature. (and yes, good point by you btw)

In the future try stating an informed opinion without the need to step on someone else's toes in doing so. People will be much more receptive.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 05-20-2023 at 09:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-20-2023, 06:02 PM

Facebook is the main reason for 66 percent of divorces.teen suicides off the charts because social media.more money has been stolen over the internet than all bank robberies ever.Now im sure AI aint gonna be our saviour. we already know in our hearts that all this is wrong and bad for us,its literally destroying us now.But we ain't gonna stop are we.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Facebook is the main reason for 66 percent of divorces.teen suicides off the charts because social media.more money has been stolen over the internet than all bank robberies ever.Now im sure AI aint gonna be our saviour. we already know in our hearts that all this is wrong and bad for us,its literally destroying us now.But we ain't gonna stop are we.
That sounds horrible. Do you live outside the US? Here divorce rate has dropped a lot in 3 decades. The recent climb in teen suicide is below some historical averages and that started long after Facebook.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You should cite your source for this (or any of your) statement(s). Sounds like something one might read on Facebook, ironically.

I dug around for a couple minutes and found several mentions of this "statistic", all published by law firms specializing in divorce. Maybe some kind of effort to own mindshare on the topic. Maybe just clickbait. They all cited the study found here: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...k_Use_to_Blame

You can download the PDF and read/search it. You will not be able to find the number 66, not any mention of the percentage of divorces cased by Facebook, or anything remotely like it in their conclusions...or anywhere in the study. Nothing.

That said, the study did offer the following...

Conclusion
To conclude, our results indicate that high levels of Facebook use, when mediated by Facebook-related conflict, significantly predict negative relationship outcomes. The current study adds to the growing body of literature investigating predictors of Internet use and relationship outcomes. Lastly, the current study may be a precursor to further investigation of whether Facebook use attributes to the divorce rate, emotional cheating, physical cheating, and breakups.

Seems intuitive, but let's have a look at the study's methods...

Methods
Participants were 205 Facebook users. To obtain participants, the researchers updated their own Facebook profile statuses with an online survey link created on www.qualtrics.com. The convenience sample included, but was not limited to, college-aged students. The researchers included a preface to the survey link with a description of the study. The preface included a statement informing participants that participation in the study was voluntary. The participants’ ages ranged from 18 to 82 years old (M=33, SD=14.26). Most participants (89%) were Caucasian, 7% were Hispanic, 2% were African American, and 2% were Asian American. The majority of participants (62%) were female.

So 205 people were sampled (which is fine) by sending out a link...on Facebook. Now I'm no expert in test methodology, but that sounds almost comically biased to find people who are having issues because of Facebook.

These topics are difficult enough. AI is a huge step change in the tech and social landscape to be sure. Tough to discuss, but impossible in the face of misinformation.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Chat GPT is pretty amazing. One risk is having students use it instead of writing their own essays, etc. I asked ChatGPT if it posed any danger to society. Here's its answer:
Post of the thread.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
You should cite your source for this (or any of your) statement(s). Sounds like something one might read on Facebook, ironically.

I dug around for a couple minutes and found several mentions of this "statistic", all published by law firms specializing in divorce. Maybe some kind of effort to own mindshare on the topic. Maybe just clickbait. They all cited the study found here: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...k_Use_to_Blame

You can download the PDF and read/search it. You will not be able to find the number 66, not any mention of the percentage of divorces cased by Facebook, or anything remotely like it in their conclusions...or anywhere in the study. Nothing.

That said, the study did offer the following...

Conclusion
To conclude, our results indicate that high levels of Facebook use, when mediated by Facebook-related conflict, significantly predict negative relationship outcomes. The current study adds to the growing body of literature investigating predictors of Internet use and relationship outcomes. Lastly, the current study may be a precursor to further investigation of whether Facebook use attributes to the divorce rate, emotional cheating, physical cheating, and breakups.

Seems intuitive, but let's have a look at the study's methods...

Methods
Participants were 205 Facebook users. To obtain participants, the researchers updated their own Facebook profile statuses with an online survey link created on www.qualtrics.com. The convenience sample included, but was not limited to, college-aged students. The researchers included a preface to the survey link with a description of the study. The preface included a statement informing participants that participation in the study was voluntary. The participants’ ages ranged from 18 to 82 years old (M=33, SD=14.26). Most participants (89%) were Caucasian, 7% were Hispanic, 2% were African American, and 2% were Asian American. The majority of participants (62%) were female.

So 205 people were sampled (which is fine) by sending out a link...on Facebook. Now I'm no expert in test methodology, but that sounds almost comically biased to find people who are having issues because of Facebook.

These topics are difficult enough. AI is a huge step change in the tech and social landscape to be sure. Tough to discuss, but impossible in the face of misinformation.
I should post a source for any of my statements? Um humHere's another statement with no source. in my opinion people are less happy,content and settled since the tech revolution.If you think they are please post a source
Old 05-21-2023, 05:38 AM

What happens to A.I. if the grid fails?

Can't you just unplug it?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-21-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
What happens to A.I. if the grid fails?

Can't you just unplug it?
Im sorry dave,it wont let you do that. Hal 2001

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic