The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-12-2023, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I thought it could have been worded a bit better..."Sorry you didn't win, but here is a 10% off code for entering" or something along those lines. We all weren't really runners up. I'm thinking this may be a first world problem?? LOL I may have other things to worry about. Congrats to the winner !
Old 05-12-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I guess I don't get the "misleading" part. Order a guitar stacked up with options for $10k and you get that "$980 off"... the more expensive the guitar you order, the more dollars in "savings." Maybe I'm used to this, because I have a wife who comes home from the grocery store and says, "I saved $30 at the store..."

I could then say, "Yeah, but you had to spend $300 to get that..." I don't say that because the couch is a cold, lonely place.

I get Emerald's perspective on this. They offer up a give-away where someone will win a FREE guitar... and then they give all who entered a discount on a purchase. They get some buzz on-line, people get to play with their 3D Builder, and anyone who takes the time to participate gets a discount on a guitar that may really be "their dream guitar." Nobody loses.

I think the “misleading” part is portraying the recipient of the email as one of a select group of “Runner Ups” when that clearly is not true. I bought my Virtuo custom via the Cyber Monday deal last November of 10% off. I loved the deal and now I have two Emeralds that I love. I think the contest was great and it gave people the chance to experience the 3-D Builder without buying an expensive guitar. And it’s great of Emerald to offer contestants 10% off. I think their choice of wording was just the wrong delivery.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

(LOL)

I had to check the e-mail again. Nowhere in the e-mail I received did it state or imply that I was one of "a select group" of winners. I was a "runner up"... which I took to mean: you didn't win the free guitar.

If you watched the video where the winner was selected, Alistair stated that there were guitars that approached $10,000... when I saw the "UP TO $980 OFF," it was very apparent that they weren't giving a $980 discount on any guitar ordered. UP TO.

I also get a bit sceptical when I get an e-mail from a Nigerian Prince who wants to give me money, or when I put something for sale on Craigslist and I get a response that says, "I want to buy your item."

I suppose Emerald could have said, "You didn't win the free guitar, ya big loser, and as our way to thank you for entering, you ain't gettin' squat." But that seems like it would be poor marketing.

If you have an Emerald, you are already "special." If you don't have an Emerald, but you want to buy one after entering the contest, you get a "special" discount. Where's the loss or misleading?

Step right up... pick up this bat and give that dead horse a swat or two! It's FREE!

(This post is just for the fun of it. There is nothing to be gained from it, except maybe a chuckle or two. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. But, if you took the time to read it, you are in a "select group" and I think you are special.)
Old 05-12-2023, 03:49 PM

Perhaps us rich Westerners just don’t understand a little Irish craic?
Old 05-12-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I guess I don't get the "misleading" part. Order a guitar stacked up with options for $10k and you get that "$980 off"... the more expensive the guitar you order, the more dollars in "savings." Maybe I'm used to this, because I have a wife who comes home from the grocery store and says, "I saved $30 at the store..."

I could then say, "Yeah, but you had to spend $300 to get that..." I don't say that because the couch is a cold, lonely place.

I get Emerald's perspective on this. They offer up a give-away where someone will win a FREE guitar... and then they give all who entered a discount on a purchase. They get some buzz on-line, people get to play with their 3D Builder, and anyone who takes the time to participate gets a discount on a guitar that may really be "their dream guitar." Nobody loses.
The misleading part is burying the 10% at the end of the email and leading with "you're officially a runner-up" and the up to $980 dollars off. This is the first competition I've ever seen with one winner and tens of thousands of runner-ups :o). Dishonest in the strict sense? No. Tacky? Absolutely. Way too "discount furniture outlet-ish" for my tastes.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumokids View Post
The misleading part is burying the 10% at the end of the email and leading with "you're officially a runner-up" and the up to $980 dollars off. This is the first competition I've ever seen with one winner and tens of thousands of runner-ups :o). Dishonest in the strict sense? No. Tacky? Absolutely. Way too "discount furniture outlet-ish" for my tastes.

Can I have your X20 then?
Old 05-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It’s done. You’ve made your point.

Have you made Emerald aware of your concerns ([email protected])? They’re nice folks, and I’m sure they’d love to know that they’ve upset someone so much.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-12-2023, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
It’s done. You’ve made your point.

Have you made Emerald aware of your concerns ([email protected])? They’re nice folks, and I’m sure they’d love to know that they’ve upset someone so much.
I know it's sometimes hard to judge tone in the written word, but you missed this one by quite a bit. Not upset in the least -- just replying to a response to my previous post and expressing an opinion. The :o) might have been a clue :o)
Old 05-12-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Can I have your X20 then?
No. You also can't have my X7. No company is perfect :o)
Old 05-12-2023, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know it's sometimes hard to judge tone in the written word, but you missed this one by quite a bit. Not upset in the least -- just replying to a response to my previous post and expressing an opinion. The :o) might have been a clue :o)
Aah, I missed the smiley cues - my apologies for overreacting.

Keep calm, and play CF
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-13-2023 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Except for Taylor
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-12-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Except for Taylor

Ouch. I was gonna say the M word

This is a thread where emojis matter!

Last edited by steelvibe; 05-12-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
That's true, sorry I didn't include an emoji but I guess I didn't have to. You got my point. I'm jonesing for an Emerald pretty bad- you have good taste in guitars. Plus you're a runner up!
Old 05-13-2023, 05:58 AM

IMO the title of the email was the main deception: "Congratulations you've won a prize."

When I first saw this I could not believe my eyes. After all, I had won the 2020 sweepstake. What are the chances of winning twice?
But as with most things that seem too good to be true... it wasn't. And as a former winner I should be the last person to complain.

The 2020 competition was different though. Back then entries did not have to use the 3D builder, which did not exist yet.
This allowed us to request custom builds that inspired Emerald to think outside of the box.

For example the trinity knot inlay, which is now a 3D builder option, was designed by Alistair because I had requested it for my custom build.

Another feature I requested was EVO gold fretwire. That did not make it into the 3D builder and in this respect I believe my X20 is still one of a kind.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-17-2023, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

I got excited over the email too. I thought it was poorly done and misleading.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber