The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-02-2023, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post

Many years ago, I had a discussion with my doctor about stress. He asked if I had any hobbies. I mentioned that I play the guitar. He asked if I felt stress when I played guitar. Of course, I said no, and he said keep doing it then. So, I'm under doctors' orders to play guitar
Nice. My doctor once noted the consistent drop in my blood pressure after a day of skiing. And so she wrote me a script for skiing as necessary, with 1000 refills. She has a good sense of humor, and knows me well after about 25 years. I wondered if Anthem would feel the same way about the health benefits of skiing, if I submitted the cost of a ski area season pass for reimbursement under my insurance policy. Or at least buy me a new Martin.

David
Old 05-03-2023, 11:26 AM

Thank you so much for all the great comments here.
Continuing my practice routine I feel less uncomfortable now, or I just stopped overthinking the hows and whys.
An addiction to temporarily escape reality might be the description of my motives to play. But then, what isn't?

Some smoke or drink, watch TV or go shopping or need people around them.
I'll settle my doubts, knowing there's worse habits than guitar playing.

Youtubechannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M...Vbk1XI5Cy4NA7g
Old 05-06-2023, 08:24 AM

I guess that there a few things we get from playing music. One of the best things is that I have the choice of listening to music….or making music. I still enjoy both.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:16 AM

I have been playing 55 years now and still play every day and enjoy it as much as ever. Guitar playing has given me my closest friends, gigs at places I can’t believe , my wife who I met on a gig twenty something years ago, and a lifetime of memories!
Old 05-14-2023, 12:11 PM

I never wished to make any money and play only at home.

What it brings to me ? A moment to regroup myself every single day.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi folks…
I think guitar playing for many of us has brought friends, skills and a sense of accomplishment.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-15-2023, 08:16 AM

been playing for well over 50 years.

I too have spent lots of money and lots of time, and have made lots of friends, and even lots of money at times.

when it comes to playing, and music, and guitar and all those things which matters here..

I guess you could say they don't call this a labor of love for no good reason at all!

I mean what else am I gonna do, watch TV Reruns???

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-15-2023, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Guitar is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited by Merak; 05-15-2023 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I think TBman nailed it, I crave that sense of accomplishment I get from achieving something on the guitar that I've worked hard for. As Ted Greene, the famous author of Chord Chemistry used to tell his students, it's all about how bad you want it.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:40 AM

For me, as a shy teenager when I started, it gave me a purpose, an identity, a bunch of friends, and a social life.

Now, nearly 60 years later, what social life I have still revolves around music. Very gradually, music has actually become my main occupation, even a semi-professional career. I'm now retired from my previous career, but music is not something I ever envisage "retiring" from.

One thing I liken it to is a drug. I've never been into drugs of any kind - except beer now and then, but never tobacco - and it's because the guitar is all I ever needed to expand my consciousness and help me feel things differently, as well as to escape occasionally. Even to understand the world in a different way. (Music makes you understand Time...)

Like any drug, it does have side effects if you over-indulge, of course. In my case, it's resulted in losing as many partners as it's attracted. Some women find a guitar player attractive, until they realise the guitar is always going to be more important than them... (I.e., they're foolish enough to set themselves up in opposition; which means they can't win. My current partner - of 25 years now - is also musician, so she understands... )
Old 05-20-2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I agree with most everything this guy says about his 1910 archtop:

My mind went immediately to this song, too. As I get older, I feel more and more that the purpose in what I do is about finding joy, and sharing it with those close to me. Music and the inexplicable pleasure of making or listening music is one of the best ways I can make that part of my daily life.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 05-21-2023, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhardp View Post
Thank you so much for all the great comments here.

Continuing my practice routine I feel less uncomfortable now, or I just stopped overthinking the hows and whys.

An addiction to temporarily escape reality might be the description of my motives to play. But then, what isn't?

Some smoke or drink, watch TV or go shopping or need people around them.

I'll settle my doubts, knowing there's worse habits than guitar playing.
I think each of us playing guitar must have one or more motives. As long as we have, we will keep on, unless or until there are no motives left.
Glad that you identified yours!
All the best.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 05-22-2023, 07:30 AM

Default What has guitar playing given me?

What has guitar playing given me? A living.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write