The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-17-2023, 08:48 PM

The usual response on the 4 string flat top "acoustic bass guitar" models has arrived, and I endorse that outlook as generally valid. Unless you're just fooling around for personal pleasure or recording into an interface, you're going to need an amp with this or the other options. I agree the Fender Rumble amps seem to work well and are very lightweight. If weight or size isn't an issue, older used bass amps are legion too.

I've used an U-Bass, and if you want something fun that sounds a bit like the sound of an upright bass and you don't want to look out of place at a house acoustic guitar jam or the like, there's a great deal to be said for these.

If you want to learn to "play bass" and sound like bass on records, there's a lot to be said for just getting an electric bass. Those inexpensive Hofner "Beatle Bass" models Steve mentions upthread are lightweight and for many boomers have a nice "Be Like Paul" vibe.

Here's one reasonably priced electric bass I happen to like: the Epiphone Jack Casaday model. I happen to like Casaday's playing, but this model with its special variable impedance pickup and large hollowbody has a lot of acoustic guitar vibes even if you've never seen acoustic Hot Tuna. I string mine with flats.

If playing acoustically in technique and "vibe" is what you're after, you could consider a baritone acoustic guitar. I don't have experience or offhand knowledge on what models are out there currently, but I have played baritone electric a little. You can play chords, pick and finger with the same technique you use on regular guitar, but you're in a lower register.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-18-2023, 04:38 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
That Furch has just about nothing in common with what I like soundwise, but it does do a better than average job of bringing out the lower notes. That said, in that demo I don't think he ever goes lower than a G.
I don't think that video gives the true feel of the instrument (don't think the reviewer is a bass player) - I couldn't find the one I had heard a few months ago.

I wish you could hear my buddies B1 - if there ever was a guitar that has "opened up" - it's that one.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:10 AM

A lot of bass players turn up their noses at acoustic basses -- as a product category, others have mentioned that they generally don't play with others unplugged well, nor do they plug in particularly well (in your price range).

Since you have to plug in anyway, an Epiphone Jack Cassady is respected (used is in your price range), as are the Asian-made Beatle basses. Grab some Labella Beatle Bass flatwounds and even the Rouge VB-100 ($130 during Presidents Day sale) can sound pretty good.
Old 04-27-2023, 01:14 AM

I loved my acoustic bass (a custom made instrument by Brook here in the UK, an instrument I miss dearly). I would agree with some of the comments on here- I commissioned it so that I could be the bass player in my mandolin orchestra, but there is no way it could be heard, even with just a couple of mandolins, let alone when we were playing with about 6 or 7 other instruments. But, I used to plug it into a Phil Jones Cub or a Phil Jones Briefcase, and it sounded absolutely amazing. A very very different sound to either an electric bass (more warmth to the notes, much more acoustic guitar like) or an upright bass (brighter and more articulate). So they definitely have their uses.

In the following video this was the first piece I recored on her- she was wearing Elixir strings, so quite bright, not everyone's cup of tea for a sound. But hopefully you can hear how well balanced she is, especially that low E

And in this video, I hopefully give you some idea of how the bass can sound in the context of a full ensemble, in this case a piece I wrote for my mandolin orchestra, but here overdubbed with me playing all the parts:

I hope this gives you some idea of what can be achieved with an acoustic bass. I hope someday I will be able to buy back this bass that I was forced to sell when I experienced some financial difficulties, otherwise I will replace her (hopefully next year) with a Furch (another bass that I have played and really enjoyed). There is a lot of false information put out there about how useful these wonderful instruments can be, but with a decently made instrument they are truly inspiring if, like me, you are solely an acoustic musician.
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments