The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2023, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Default The battery powered, cordless era has arrived and it’s useful

I use a battery powered EAE amp, and recently got a Everse battery powered speaker as a lighter alternative. Just got a Ditto X2 jam looper pedal, which can be run on 9v batteries. So I’m plugging into the looper, into the speaker. No AC power cords!
At my senior center ‘gig’ last week, they asked me to play in the center of the room instead of along the wall as in the past, and asked ‘can you do that without AC power?’ I was happy to say ‘Yes!’ and set up as an island unto myself in the middle of the room. It felt great and worked well.
I also use a wireless set for both the mic and the guitar, so I was free and unattached! I could dance around unencumbered. (Ok, that last part was just in my imagination!) Only one guitar cord on the ground from the looper to speaker.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
I use a battery powered EAE amp, and recently got a Everse battery powered speaker as a lighter alternative. Just got a Ditto X2 jam looper pedal, which can be run on 9v batteries. So I’m plugging into the looper, into the speaker. No AC power cords!
At my senior center ‘gig’ last week, they asked me to play in the center of the room instead of along the wall as in the past, and asked ‘can you do that without AC power?’ I was happy to say ‘Yes!’ and set up as an island unto myself in the middle of the room. It felt great and worked well.
I also use a wireless set for both the mic and the guitar, so I was free and unattached! I could dance around unencumbered. (Ok, that last part was just in my imagination!) Only one guitar cord on the ground from the looper to speaker.
Yeah that is pretty cool Russell!

While I'm not as wireless as you , I use a Bose S1 and love being able to place the speaker anywhere. I'm bummed on bigger gigs when I have to plug in my Fishman Artist or JBL EON 610s.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-29-2023, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

We love being nearly cableless and almost completely wireless! For years we gigged with a Bose S1 Pro (or two) along with an EAE StompMix X6 mixer which also ran on an internal, rechargeable battery. We have wireless mic for her and wireless guitar for me. I do run a mic cable for my mic since it's on a stand anyway and can't go anywhere.

While it was great fun to be able to play anywhere I think nearly every gig we played had power available for us, even those outdoors. We eventually moved onto the EV30M which needs AC but the first thing I did was to buy a 15' power cord and I've never needed more. But I totally agree that setting up with NO cables or cords of any kind is very cool.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:57 AM

There is a certain level of "freedom" ya feel when cables are no longer tethered to ya.

about 5 years ago I was asked to do 2 wedding ceremonies, where I did a few acoustic/vocal arrangements of songs the bride/grooms wanted played during the service

One was on a beach at the north shore in Mass, the other was in the middle of an apple orchard. Power? uhm,, no...

That was when I purchased my first Bose S1 pro. It worked great. I used a rechargeable battery operated guitar wireless, but I did use a stand mic cable as I did not have a wireless mic.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-31-2023, 04:20 PM

I'm working on being total AC/less ...
Just my TC Helicon Perform VG needs AC so I'm going to just add a Ryobi 40v 300w pure sine converter(Since I have the Battery already) mainly for that since the Gemini PB300 To-Go has a battery
Old 05-31-2023, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi folks…

Most of my concerns share a common theme when it comes to battery powered 'everything':
  • Rechargeable batteries have a shelf life…
  • Most pieces of gear use proprietary batteries…
  • Companies who innovate often go out of business along with the parts supply (and the battery stock)
  • Most of the gear DOES NOT use the same batteries…
  • When companies sell off their product lines - often the buyer discontinues the old item, and the 'tech' is rolled into their line of equipment resulting in loss of service and parts…

I just bought a new phone, because the battery in my 5 year old phone is less than ½ power when fully charged. I can get a new battery, but that will kill the water seals in it.

I suppose we can just budget for replacing our gear a piece at a time as it goes belly up, or the processors or wifi/bluetooth aspects quit working.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-31-2023, 07:42 PM

We're you using the EAR or the Everse? I'm wondering because the Everse app Bluetooth connection would add another wireless layer that could cause interference issues.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-31-2023, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Default The battery powered, cordless era has arrived and it’s useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
We're you using the EAR or the Everse? I'm wondering because the Everse app Bluetooth connection would add another wireless layer that could cause interference issues.

I was using the Everse for the first time. I’ve used the EAE in the past.
I used the app to set it up at home for my guitar and mic, so I didn’t need to fuss with the app at the gig. Just turned the volume knob up when I was ready. I did not want to be fussing with my cell phone in this case where I’m setting up in front of the audience. In a sound check situation, I would do so.
So I never took the cell phone out, didn’t need it in this case. I don’t know if interference would be an issue. I do wish my guitar wireless system didn’t have brief moments of dropout, but it does.
The EAE is a better overall speaker, I think, but much heavier. I like that its sophisticated mixer is at the fingertips, and I like its sound a lot. But the Everse was not a problem and quite functional on its first outing!
If I needed another input then the EAE would be better. (Sometimes my wife sings with me and we’d need another input or a mixer.)

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 06-01-2023 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi folks…

Most of my concerns share a common theme when it comes to battery powered 'everything':
  • Companies who innovate often go out of business along with the parts supply (and the battery stock)
  • When companies sell off their product lines - often the buyer discontinues the old item, and the 'tech' is rolled into their line of equipment resulting in loss of service and parts…

I just bought a new phone, because the battery in my 5 year old phone is less than ½ power when fully charged. I can get a new battery, but that will kill the water seals in it.

I suppose we can just budget for replacing our gear a piece at a time as it goes belly up, or the processors or wifi/bluetooth aspects quit working.

I agree this is a concern. I will try to maximize their life by cycling them regularly and keeping them charged otherwise.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Smile And….

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi folks…

And, may I add, anything running on an app will eventually stop working, too. We are all used to needing a new phone every few years. Now we can buy new gear too…. I used a Verizon flip cell with no smart anything for almost 14 years before they stopped supporting it and I had to buy a new “smart” phone.
Grumpy Old Man ! Hahaha

One nice thing about ACOUSTIC guitars is they don’t go obsolete!
Play on and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-02-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
...One nice thing about ACOUSTIC guitars is they don’t go obsolete!...
Paul
Yup! Nor do electrics. Nor good pedals and amps. And to this thread's point, good PA gear will have a loonnnng useful life if one buys quality.

Digital this and that bring some good utility to the table, but one always must weigh in obsolescence, unless one enjoys replacing gear in cycles as we do phones. And keep in mind I don't want the nicest phone every year ...but the nature of the digital beast is more user-features/conveniences demand newer hardware ...bam! And so the upgrade/replacement cycle goes, by necessity more than choice!

So sure, batt-powered stuff can be great and certainly has its utility! But this convenience comes at a price. Weigh one's own intended use and cost and then buy accordingly. As for this amateur gigger and hobbyist with a day job and family, I put my money into gear that will yield longer utility even if slightly less convenient.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification