The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-01-2023, 08:21 AM

If I don't play them consistently, they fade away. When time becomes an issue, a decision is made about what stays and what goes.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
It depends on what your goals are and what makes you happy. There is nothing wrong with being satisfied with where you are and enjoying it.
I would kill to be in this position. Learning the guitar has been an immense struggle for me. It is the hardest skill I have ever tried to learn, by a lot. I am genuinely happy for anyone who can say they are satisfied with where they are.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:51 AM

Excerpt of a studio outtake from the "Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Vol. 2" album, at the beginning of one of the songs: "Is this real, or is it practice?" "They're all practice."

Also, a quote attributed to Doc Severenson: "If I don't practice for a day, I can tell the difference. If I don't practice for 3 days, my band can tell the difference. If I don't practice for 5 days, the audience can tell the difference."
Old 06-02-2023, 06:55 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
I would kill to be in this position. Learning the guitar has been an immense struggle for me.
If I may inquire... what is it that you are finding to be such a struggle? Maybe we can help.

Is it the physical aspect of it - like fingers won't stretch or strumming wrist is sore?
Is it the mental part of it - memorizing songs or chord progressions?
The multi-tasking part?

Your post makes me wonder what type of music you're trying to learn, how you are approaching it, how long you've be learning, etc.

If you feel like sharing here... And if not, that's fine. You can also send a PM. Or not.

I would just say that guitar is a very challenging instrument. You have to crawl, walk, run then fly. The slow approach is actually the fastest way to learn. Tortoise and the hare; the tortoise approach is the one to take. All the little bits add up. If it's not fun, you won't enjoy it, and you're more likely to give up.

How can we help you make it more fun?
Old 06-05-2023, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I believe the easiest thing about becoming a guitar player is learning music theory because once you know it and understand it you don't have to practice it. Everything else requires copious amounts of practice.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

The return of the amount of effort I put into it is good. Happy with that. Of likelihood greater effort put into it the greater the returns diminish proportionally. Strive to keep a balance.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write