The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-26-2023, 04:58 PM
Musical minimalist

Default Anyone live or lived in Thailand?

Being a single guy and completely free when I retire in a few months, been weighing options of where I may be heading. I've been reading a lot online about expats in Thailand but wondering if there is any firsthand info from members.

Pros? Cons? Favorite area? Other?

Old 05-26-2023, 08:48 PM

You may want to check into YouTube videos from Ex Pats that have moved there and offer tips and suggestions for tourists and for people thinking about moving there.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 05-27-2023, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

I don't have any first hand info from having been there, but when I worked in Germany, Thailand was one of the countries I was looking after, and I got to meet many Thai visitors and corresponded with a lot of folks there. Wonderful people to deal with. Very warm and friendly folks. It was a real pleasure.
So, I would put that aspect in the pro column.
You could bring your golf clubs. As I'm sure you know, some of the world's best women golfers come from there. An emerging powerhouse country in the golf world, and the reigning international champs, having just won recently on US soil.

Other pros are a relatively stable and democratic country, a nice climate (most of the time) lots of nice beaches and coast land, and your retirement money is likely to go much further there than it would here.
Also, who doesn't like Thai food?
So, all in all, lots of pros for a country most of us would categorize as exotic.
Some of the cons that come to mind though, if you planned to live there:
Like a lot of countries in that area of the world, it seems more vulnerable to a changing climate and extreme weather events. That would be a concern for me.
Also, since I like to be outdoors and spend time in nature I would personally find getting used to a very different environment, and wildlife, very challenging. There are lots of poisonous snakes that make their home in Thailand.
Some of the most notorious ones. Not to mention lots of mosquitoes year round, giant Asian hornets, scorpions etc...
Definitely different from where you live now I'm sure!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-27-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Also, who doesn't like Thai food?
According to the waitress at the Thai restaurant near me, a LOT of folks, including her and me.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 05-29-2023, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Edmonds View Post
According to the waitress at the Thai restaurant near me, a LOT of folks, including her and me.
Having eaten Thai food in Thailand, and at numerous Thai restaurants in the US for many years, I’ve seen the quality, taste, and ingredients continually (IMO) go way downhill. Overuse of sugar, oil, and excessive deep frying has pretty much eliminated Thai food as an option locally.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-31-2023, 07:12 AM

Thailand is a wonderful country, I have never actually lived there but have spent several months exploring it. I prefer the northern part, it's quieter with jungle and mountains, the south is much more touristy with beaches, islands and girlie bars! I plan to return in the autumn. Its also important to mention that the people are incredibly friendly and welcoming, especially in the rural areas where they don't see many westerners.

Personally I wouldn't want to live there all year round, especially in the south as they have a rainy season from July to October. Chiang Mai in the North is a lovely city where one could probably live happily all year round. Of course living there is visa dependent and I have no idea how the rules apply to American citizens. Check out the Thai forum on expat.com for lots of information but it's certainly worth a visit to see if it appeals to you. Thailand is much more westernised than Vietnam, Cambodia or Lao. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Malcolm Kindnes; 05-31-2023 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:35 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post

Personally I wouldn't want to live there all year round, especially in the south as they have a rainy season from July to October. Chiang Mai in the North is a lovely city where one could probably live happily all year round. Of course living there is visa dependent and I have no idea how the rules apply to American citizens. . I hope this helps.
Apparently you just need to have about 30k in a Thai account for a few months previous, and then maintain a lesser amount for a time afteward.

I definitely would be looking for a more rural area - NOT a city guy at all (even to visit)

Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-31-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Apparently you just need to have about 30k in a Thai account for a few months previous, and then maintain a lesser amount for a time afteward.

I definitely would be looking for a more rural area - NOT a city guy at all (even to visit)

Thanks for the reply!
You might have a look at Pai. It's a very small, rural town north west of Chiang Mai. Very hippie place, like I imagine california was in the 60's, lots of English spoken, but personally I couldn't live there full time. Thailand is a very large country, you really should spend a month there and have a look around.

If you want really rural you could look at Nan, north east of Chiang Mai, but almost no one speaks any English there!
Old 05-31-2023, 05:22 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
You might have a look at Pai. It's a very small, rural town north west of Chiang Mai. Very hippie place, like I imagine california was in the 60's, lots of English spoken, but personally I couldn't live there full time. Thailand is a very large country, you really should spend a month there and have a look around.

If you want really rural you could look at Nan, north east of Chiang Mai, but almost no one speaks any English there!
Thanks a bunch!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic