The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-21-2023, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Default NURnRGD

New Used Round-necked Resonator Guitar Day!

My new-to-me Gold Tone PBR Paul Beard Signature Roundneck Resonator Guitar should arrive next Wednesday.

I got a cheap Rogue round-necked spider resonator about 20 years ago. It was fun to play, but never quite had the sound and play-ability that I wanted. Last year I bought a used Beard cone for it and trued up the spider as best as I could. The Beard cone replacement was well worth it as I discovered that the original cone had been bent and damaged sometime in its life, but the spider was poorly made and there was only so much I could do to make it better.

I have a 6-string and an 8-string square-necked Gold Tone Beard Resonators and love their tone, so I found a used round-necked GT and bought it.

Should be here on Wednesday! I will let you know what I think afterit arrives.

I play a variety of Americana tunes and songs, with lots of fingerpicking. I have a couple of biscuit bridge resonators, but have decided they are not quite what I want.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:31 AM

Awesome. I look forward to hearing a review.

I'm picking up a used squareneck Gold Tone Paul Beard this Sunday. Can't wait.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Awesome. I look forward to hearing a review.

I'm picking up a used squareneck Gold Tone Paul Beard this Sunday. Can't wait.
My current delivery estimate is for next Tuesday, but I might be off camping before it is delivered.

I think you will really like your squareneck.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

My new-to-me roundneck GoldTone Paul Beard Signature Model Spider Resonator guitar arrived today. No big surprises upon delivery. Got it on Reverb, supposed to be a 2010s model in excellent condition. I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually in excellent condition!

The only thing I hope to replace in the near future is the white plastic pearloid buttons/knobs on the no-name Gold Tone tuning machines. I would prefer wood ones in ebony/snakewood/rosewood. Does anyone know of a source for replacements?

Playability is excellent as is the tone. Nice clean, bright tone similar to the 6 and 8 string Gold Tone PBS squarenecks I have.

I will follow up with some pictures and a video of it being played in a few days.

So far I am very, very pleased!
Old 05-31-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
The only thing I hope to replace in the near future is the white plastic pearloid buttons/knobs on the no-name Gold Tone tuning machines. I would prefer wood ones in ebony/snakewood/rosewood. Does anyone know of a source for replacements?

Stew-Mac has some ebony buttons.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
...The only thing I hope to replace in the near future is the white plastic pearloid buttons/knobs on the no-name Gold Tone tuning machines. I would prefer wood ones in ebony/snakewood/rosewood. Does anyone know of a source for replacements?...
I'm not sure what brand would fit the Gold Tone, but I can tell you one that won't. I just took a snakewood tuner button off one of my guitars that has Gotoh Mini tuners (which I think have the same fit as regular Gotoh 510) to see if it would fit on my Gold Tone. It didn't. Did you try asking Gold Tone?
Old 05-31-2023, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I'm not sure what brand would fit the Gold Tone, but I can tell you one that won't. I just took a snakewood tuner button off one of my guitars that has Gotoh Mini tuners (which I think have the same fit as regular Gotoh 510) to see if it would fit on my Gold Tone. It didn't. Did you try asking Gold Tone?
I have contacted Gold Tone and they think they have something that might fit, but they are not sure.

The white buttons fit on a square shaft about 3mm wide. Current GT PBS metal buttons fit on a smaller width square shaft, maybe 2 to 2.5mm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments