The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
You have really nice guitars playing through a less than stellar sound system.
I beg to differ. The Stagepas 400 sounds fantastic. I have played through one and it sounded amazing with my FGX5 going through it. I also regularly use a Stagepas 600. The pickups in his guitars leave room for improvement.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:33 PM

Suggestion. Do you live close to a music store where you can try a Bose system with a T1 mixer? Take your pedal things with you but I would recommend just going straight in and using the Bose T1 tone match setting. Hopefully someone at the store can help. I’d really like to hear about that experience. . Wouldn’t cost anything but a little gas and nice burger somewhere.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 05-28-2023, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Great suggestion

Quote:
Suggestion. Do you live close to a music store where you can try a Bose system with a T1 mixer? Take your pedal things with you but I would recommend just going straight in and using the Bose T1 tone match setting. Hopefully someone at the store can help. I’d really like to hear about that experience. . Wouldn’t cost anything but a little gas and nice burger somewhere.
I would love the Bose T1 I’m sure, along with a Bose L1 for main source, but you’re talking $1600 +

I did a show today with the Stagepas 400 and the AD-10. Dialed in sound pretty well.

So maybe a K&K passive or the new LR Baggs hi-fi pickup

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 05-28-2023, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Default 400 stagepas

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I beg to differ. The Stagepas 400 sounds fantastic. I have played through one and it sounded amazing with my FGX5 going through it. I also regularly use a Stagepas 600. The pickups in his guitars leave room for improvement.
I agree. I was surprised how good the system sounds!

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 05-28-2023, 06:06 PM

I need to apologize. I’m not familiar with the sound system you mentioned. My brain went to the old cheap portable PA that you split apart, 2 speakers with a little powered mixer inside. I’m actually not 100% sure of the make. CRS

Old 05-28-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I need to apologize. I’m not familiar with the sound system you mentioned. My brain went to the old cheap portable PA that you split apart, 2 speakers with a little powered mixer inside. I’m actually not 100% sure of the make. CRS
That was likely the Fender Passport.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
That was likely the Fender Passport.
Yes. That’s the one I was thinking of. Thanks

Old 05-30-2023, 10:46 AM

I have both the ToneDexter and the LR Baggs Voiceprint. I've trained both systems with a variety of pickups, some USTs, some soundboard transducers. Three of my guitars have the Baggs Element VTC, one is a factory-installed UST, and one is a James May Ultratonic (latest version). I'm not sure if the Taylor ES2 is compatible. Like any IR device, it takes a little work to get the right image. For the ToneDexter, it's all about mic choice and placement. For the Voiceprint, I've found that getting the best sound involves placement of the recording iPhone in an optimal location. For both, it's roughly somewhere between 6" and 12" away from the mic/phone, aimed at the 12th fret.

I've gotten incredibly accurate and useful tones this way, and am real happy with my amplified acoustic sound. Both units offer tweaks to enable performing live at a relatively high volume, and they are the best bet out there (short of a mic) to get good amplified acoustic sound.

Good luck in your search.
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 05-30-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Solid state amps have major reliabiity problems.
Not really true. Poorly designed and/or manufactured amps - of any topology - have reliability problems. A well designed and manufactured solid state amp can give decades of reliable service. But you have to pay for quality in both areas. A cheap Fender has neither.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-30-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bartus View Post
I have both the ToneDexter and the LR Baggs Voiceprint. I've trained both systems with a variety of pickups, some USTs, some soundboard transducers. Three of my guitars have the Baggs Element VTC, one is a factory-installed UST, and one is a James May Ultratonic (latest version). I'm not sure if the Taylor ES2 is compatible. Like any IR device, it takes a little work to get the right image. For the ToneDexter, it's all about mic choice and placement. For the Voiceprint, I've found that getting the best sound involves placement of the recording iPhone in an optimal location. For both, it's roughly somewhere between 6" and 12" away from the mic/phone, aimed at the 12th fret.

I've gotten incredibly accurate and useful tones this way, and am real happy with my amplified acoustic sound. Both units offer tweaks to enable performing live at a relatively high volume, and they are the best bet out there (short of a mic) to get good amplified acoustic sound.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks for this post. I made the one and only image for my Taylor 324ce in a rush. I'll give it another go. (Voiceprint) what can it hurt...?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, live sound