The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird1983 View Post
So since, I’ve sorted this problem, but I now feel the TC guitar output is too bright. Like almost everyone, I use Body Rez 3 but struggling with the sound. I’m thinking of using an IR pedal now for a more natural sound, as I can’t get past it. Considering 3 options; Nux optima air, LR Baggs Voice print or tone Dexter.
Another option is a good eq - the one in the Play works but is difficult to tweak on the fly at a gig. I picked up the new Empress para eq pedal which is slick but not cheap. That said neither are some of the options you list.

I may be in the minority, but IRs are a bit of a black box if I'm trying to use as an eq fix and I find I have to go through a bunch that I like at home. Then get on a gig and find that it isn't quite right. With the eq you can generally find and fix what you want.

I've also mostly quit using the Play as I can live without the harmonies and I I find the guitar output to be brittle (or bright as you note) with my DeCapo. If I really want harmonies I'll split the guitar output and send one to the Play as a dead end, send the other direct to the amp or 30M.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 01-18-2023, 02:37 PM

I'm not a fan of the Body Res feature on the Play Acoustic. It sounds very hollow and artificial to me although it may be an improvement on some piezos with experimentation. I just turn off this feature and use an IR pedal and separate EQ for my guitar. I do use the reverb setting if I want to add any reverb.

I only use the Play Acoustic for the harmony feature. I run directly to my Bose L1 Compact with a XLR to 1/4-inch TRS cable.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 01-20-2023, 05:40 AM

Since I started this post almost five years ago, I thought I would give an update on where I was. I still use the Play Acoustic, but only for vocals. There seems to be lots under the hood that I can’t accomplish from any mixer. I use the DI setting in the Play Acoustic with only the Vocal DI going out to my Bose S1 Pro.

For the guitar, I now use a LR Baggs Venue DI. I run the amp out to the play acoustic to drive the harmony (which I rarely use now) and the DI out to my Bose S1 Pro from the Venue. Here I can adjust EQ on the fly easily. The two, sweepable mid controls get me about everything I want. I added a reverb pedal in the effects loop for the occasional times I want something with a longer tail. I also use the boost function on the Venue for fingerpicking.

I do still use the tuner on the Play Acoustic. It seems more responsive than the Venue, but both seem accurate. However, with my signal path, only the Venue tuner allows me to mute for tuning.

This seems to be the best option for the ES2 in my Taylor 814ce DLX.

I am over 60 now and don’t play out as often. When I do, it helps to simplify and have some flexibility for last minute controls.

I do have an entry level Martin Road series with a Sonitone (or Sonicor I can’t remember which) where I will use the Bodyrez. It does seem to help that pick up.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:39 AM

Rather than start another thread on the PlayAcoustic, I will throw out another question. Can someone point me to a guide on how it’s possible to use the Play Acoustic as a boost pedal when playing guitar lead parts? I believe I need to use the Switch 6.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Rather than start another thread on the PlayAcoustic, I will throw out another question. Can someone point me to a guide on how it’s possible to use the Play Acoustic as a boost pedal when playing guitar lead parts? I believe I need to use the Switch 6.
Yes, switch 6 or 3.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

You can program the “hit” button to engage the boost.
I actually don’t use the boost function, I just tweak my volume knob or step on a separate compressor that’s on my board.
Huss & Dalton CM Custom (thin body)
A whole lot more, trapping way too much money

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification