The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-13-2023, 03:03 PM

Default Bending Figured Cherry

I recently picked up a nice back and side set of cherry, and the sides have a good bit of curl in them. Having only (successfully) bent mahogany before, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions regarding thickness or method. I use a Fox style bender with a heating blanket. I’ve typically wrapped my sides is damp butcher paper and then put foil between the paper and the slat/blanket. From what I’ve read thinner is better, so I’m thinking .75. FWIW I’m making a 12 fret 00 so none of the bends are what I’d call severe.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2023, 03:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I recently picked up a nice back and side set of cherry, and the sides have a good bit of curl in them. Having only (successfully) bent mahogany before, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions regarding thickness or method. I use a Fox style bender with a heating blanket. I’ve typically wrapped my sides is damp butcher paper and then put foil between the paper and the slat/blanket. From what I’ve read thinner is better, so I’m thinking .75. FWIW I’m making a 12 fret 00 so none of the bends are what I’d call severe.

Thanks in advance!
Treenewt, I'm sorry to see no one is helping out here.

I haven't bent Cherry but when I do this will be my approach. First off Cherry is a very lightweight hardwood so I wouldn't go any less than .085". It seems to me it will scorch easily so I'd go to 225 degrees and slowly go higher if needed.

I would spray the sides not soak them.

I would cut the side profiles before bending and experiment with the cutoff strips first. The strips would be the same thickness as the sides.

If the first strip was a flop I would try Super Soft on the second and see how that goes. If that fails I'd take the sides down to .040" and use Maple to make laminate sides.

Good Luck!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 05-14-2023, 05:16 PM

Thanks so much Mark! I really appreciate the direction. That’s a great idea on the cutoffs! I’ll report back!
Old 05-14-2023, 07:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Treenewt, I'm sorry to see no one is helping out here.

I haven't bent Cherry but when I do this will be my approach. First off Cherry is a very lightweight hardwood so I wouldn't go any less than .085". It seems to me it will scorch easily so I'd go to 225 degrees and slowly go higher if needed.

I would spray the sides not soak them.

I would cut the side profiles before bending and experiment with the cutoff strips first. The strips would be the same thickness as the sides.

If the first strip was a flop I would try Super Soft on the second and see how that goes. If that fails I'd take the sides down to .040" and use Maple to make laminate sides.

Good Luck!
Mark
What Mr. Hatcher said!. I've built a few cherry guitars, including my first one bent by hand, and I've never had any problems with it. I would also say to spray not soak, and bend at .085" thickness.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:36 AM

Thanks so much Bill! I appreciate it!
Old 05-15-2023, 06:10 AM

The cherry sides I've done bent fine, but were pretty straight grain.
+1 on spray and .080-.-085" thickness.

I did build a back of some wildly figured and unruly cherry. I ended up thinning it and backing/laminating it with a layer of mahogany. Worked a treat.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
The cherry sides I've done bent fine, but were pretty straight grain.
+1 on spray and .080-.-085" thickness.

I did build a back of some wildly figured and unruly cherry. I ended up thinning it and backing/laminating it with a layer of mahogany. Worked a treat.
Much appreciated Skarsaune! The back is pretty simple and straight grained (obviously not a book matched set!) but the sides have a good bit of curl. I'm hoping they play nice. (cue MUCH diamond stone sharpening)
Old 06-05-2023, 07:01 AM

Default Update: Success!

Following Mr Hatcher’s advice, I used the side cut offs to test bend at 225. I sprayed the sides but didn’t soak. It worked like a charm! I bent both test strips no problem, so I bent side number one last night and left it overnight in the bender. Took it out this am, no cracks! It’s actually almost perfect, might need a tiny touch up on the waist when I go to glue it to the top but that’s it. Side 2 is in the bender now.

I did notice my waist thermometer was running low compared to the thermostat, so I had to bump the blanket temp up to 240 to get 225 to read on the thermometer. I got a little discoloration on the inside of the first side but it will sand off easily.

Thanks again for the advice y’all!
Old 06-06-2023, 07:01 AM

I have only bent straight grained Cherry but it bends easy. I'm not sure I would advocate using butcher paper as it seems to me it would be a heat sink, IOW it will take the heat more than the wood which needs it will. Foil will help protect it though and will transfer the heat well.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I have only bent straight grained Cherry but it bends easy. I'm not sure I would advocate using butcher paper as it seems to me it would be a heat sink, IOW it will take the heat more than the wood which needs it will. Foil will help protect it though and will transfer the heat well.
Thanks redir! I wondered about the paper. I almost didn't use the paper, but it worked with no issues. I dampened it as well. I've ready so many different things on the inter webs (do/don't etc) but that sandwich has worked for me thus far. Once I did a test run and had success, it's hard not to keep going that route! Next time I'll use test strips and do it sans paper but with foil and see how it works. Thanks for the advice

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair