The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-08-2023, 06:17 PM

Default Review of New Enya X4 Pro

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a review of the Enya X4 Pro. I got this guitar from Amazon several days ago, so I've had plenty of time to form a good opinion on it.

I have read some reviews that this guitar is heavy, but I find it to be a very comfortable weight. It is as comfortable a weight as any other acoustic guitar I have owned. Out of the box, I did not care for the phosphor bronze strings on it. They gave the guitar too much of a low/mid-range bass tone and made it sound a bit muddy. Also, the action was too high. I took the guitar to a local luthier here in West Palm Beach, FL, for a setup. After he shaved a bit off the bridge, did a minor adjustment to the bridge and did a change of strings to Martin Retro .11-gauge strings, the guitar is an absolute joy to play. I had read some reviews that the action was too high, so I was prepared for that. Still, for a guitar with such great reviews on YouTube and at this price range, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with a setup.

The built-in actuator is quite nice. I have the latest model, which has a built-in tuner. I suspect that Enya did this after watching reviews of the guitar on YouTube, since this was a common gripe with the earlier model. IMHO, the hall reverb is what shines on this guitar, when it is played unplugged. The room reverb, chorus and delay are difficult to pick up while playing, until you stop playing. When you do that, you can hear these particular effects. Plugged in, this is a completely different scenario, and you can hear every built-in effect with no issues. Still, I think Enya should work on improving the actuator for playing without an amp.

Overall, I am happy with this purchase--especially with a guitar that I purchased on Amazon below $1,000.00. I'm no expert on carbon fiber guitars, but I think the Enya X4 Pro is a solid introduction into the world of carbon fiber guitars. I love mine, now that it is setup just right, and I anticipate a long and enjoyable relationship with it.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:53 PM

https://flic.kr/p/2oz4MR8

Some pictures.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I'm So Happy To Hear You're Diggin' Your New Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus. I don't think there's a better value out there in a guitar that sounds great and is pretty much maintenance-free. Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-18-2023, 04:25 PM

Wow, I wish I would have waited on this for the new electronics pad! I have the original X4 Pro (with the annoying low-visibility notches and no tuner) and haven't change the strings just yet but probably will (as well as shave down the bridge too). Not a huge deal but I did get it for $719 and no tax assessed (direct from Enya) so I guess that's not too bad.
Enya X4 Pro
Boroughs B30ACESB
Takamine EG330C
Old 09-18-2023, 06:33 PM

Default Glad you like it!

I returned mine after a few weeks.

It was heavier than other carbon fiber guitars, and the electronics added nothing for me. The top was clearly carbon fiber, but the back might as well be plastic for all I can tell.

That being said:
1) I messed with the truss rod and got the action down low enough be very nice. If there's one thing I don't like about Composite Acoustics, it's that they assume everyone likes the same string height and same string weight, which is not true at all.
2) they are an innovative company, and the more I play the Enya NexG 2, the more I love the sound and feel.

There is nothing wrong with their products at all. I prefer Composite Acoustics for a number of reasons and for the specific models I own, but I can absolutely see where someone would love Enya. If you can't afford an Emerald, Enya is a much greater reduction in price than in quality, tone, or playability.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 10-10-2023, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Amazon Prime Big Deal

The Enya X4 Pro and Pro Mini are currently on sale on Amazon if anyone was thinking of buying one
Old 10-10-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
The Enya X4 Pro and Pro Mini are currently on sale on Amazon if anyone was thinking of buying one

This is very tempting I have the older X4 Pro and paid more for it too I do wish they made the preamp modular in the sense that I could swap it out for the newer one. I'm thinking it's probably not possible to do...
Enya X4 Pro
Boroughs B30ACESB
Takamine EG330C
Old 10-10-2023, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
This is very tempting I have the older X4 Pro and paid more for it too I do wish they made the preamp modular in the sense that I could swap it out for the newer one. I'm thinking it's probably not possible to do...
I was tempted too, but saw that nut width is 1-11/16", which is a tad narrow for my preferences. I'll save my money for an Emerald, Rainsong, or McPherson...
Old 10-10-2023, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was tempted too, but saw that nut width is 1-11/16", which is a tad narrow for my preferences. I'll save my money for an Emerald, Rainsong, or McPherson...
I have an x4 pro that I made a new nut for that pushed the string to string spacing out at the nut to 38.5mm which is on the wider side of some of my 1 3/4 nuts. I've been happy with that change.
Old 10-11-2023, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
Maybe not modular.

But there is an Enya Go on Music Go Round that someone upgraded the pickups with what looks aftermarket SE-5N 5-band equalizer/tuner.
No idea if it they replaced the control button on a powered/speaker version, or just cut through the plastic to add it to a plain-jane version.
https://www.musicgoround.com/product...osite-acoustic

So no reason you couldn't do that on yours. Either by yourself, or by a decent luthier.

https://www.amazon.com/Equalizer-Pic.../dp/B07JF8G2SF
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 10-11-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I don't see any X4 Pro's on Amazon
Old 10-11-2023, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have an x4 pro that I made a new nut for that pushed the string to string spacing out at the nut to 38.5mm which is on the wider side of some of my 1 3/4 nuts. I've been happy with that change.
Thanks for the tip! Now I'm back to deliberating...
Old 10-11-2023, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I don't see any X4 Pro's on Amazon
Sometimes Amazon doesn't list it for some odd reason. What works for me is to click the link for the X4 Pro Mini, then click to the X4 Pro option on the Mini's page.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! Now I'm back to deliberating...
Note that is for the full size the mini is likely narrower given what people have reported so far but I haven't seen one in person to confirm.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjames1973 View Post
The built-in actuator is quite nice. I have the latest model, which has a built-in tuner. I suspect that Enya did this after watching reviews of the guitar on YouTube, since this was a common gripe with the earlier model. IMHO, the hall reverb is what shines on this guitar, when it is played unplugged. The room reverb, chorus and delay are difficult to pick up while playing, until you stop playing. When you do that, you can hear these particular effects. Plugged in, this is a completely different scenario, and you can hear every built-in effect with no issues. Still, I think Enya should work on improving the actuator for playing without an amp.
Is it a single actuator on the back? That's how it is in my Nova Go SP1. Probably it would be better having it on the top of the guitar, that's how it is in LAG HyVibe I have (and that has two actuators). The effect from the actuator in the Nova Go SP1 is very subtle.

BTW, there's a new updated X3 Pro Mini with the SP1 (single knob for effects, no tuner, as in the Nova Go SP1) available. I'm a bit tempted getting one (the Mini) as the normal soundhole allows installing a magnetic pickup. Other than that the X4 looks "cooler". I hope to see some reviews comparing the new X3 Pro (Mini) with the X4 Pro (Mini) soon.

The weight issue is a bit of a "shop-stopper" for me though. Not really a problem with the Nova Go (which is much heavier than my Cort AD Mini), but for a bigger guitar it might be...

Per

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber