The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
Yes and no. They can be used on either classicals or acoustics. The trebles are, in fact, steel cores wrapped with nylon. Have a set on my Lakewood. They sound quite nice and are easy on the fingertips. I fingerpick primarily, but only bare flesh -- no nails.

The problem I have with them is that the high e slips right off the fretboard (NOT out of the nut slot) sometimes -- low tension, I guess. . I have not experienced this with any other acoustic set I have had on the instrument. I like the sound and the feel, but will not use them again on an acoustic.

For my LaPatrie classical, I prefer a Savarez 520P set with wound trebles -- way less expensive than the John Pearse Folks.
Ok, thanks. I have an inexpensive anemic classical that could use help, but I was also wondering how they would sound on my Seagull folk.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-27-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
For my LaPatrie classical, I prefer a Savarez 520P set with wound trebles -- way less expensive than the John Pearse Folks.
I am willing to try anything that is less expensive.....are the wound trebles minus the nylon, so they are like steel string?

What does Willie Nelson use? His trebles look black in the pictures i've seen.

He flatpicks the strings, so whatever he uses probably will suit me fine.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:08 AM

Any feedback on how long these strings live, and doesn't the high E get nicked by the nut slot which is way too narrow?

I've already tried to put my regular composite strings on a Seagull mini-jumbo (high-tension, 80/20 wound basses and Aquila Rubino trebles, which have metal dust in them). Loss in max. volume is surprisingly small, but there's probably going to be a lot more loss of sustain. I intend to get a dedicated nut and saddle for this after I've taken care of the set-up problem with steel strings but if these

NB: there's also a "Thomastik-Infeld KR116 Classic S Rope Core" which is indeed intended primarily for classical guitars:
Quote:
Contrary to the KF110 of the same series, Thomastik-Infeld's KR116 Classic S strings have a woven nylon core and steel strands. This so-called Rope Core gives you the characteristic nylon-string sound with extra long sustain and articulation. The three bass strings have a flatwound winding of silver-plated copper, while the three rhythm strings have nylon tape windings. The tapewound construction makes the string a bit thicker than a traditional steel guitar string, so that it feels more like a string of a nylon-string guitar.
From what I recall the trebles are rather delicate, nylon isn't really the most robust material for winding. Hence my question about longevity.
I also seem to recall their sound requires rather an acquired taste.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Ah, I finally tried these, but on my Cordoba C5. I didn't care for them. I'm learning classical now on the C5 and I prefer the traditional sound and feel of nylon, at least for now.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-06-2020, 07:03 PM

I have the Thomastik version of these on my classical guitar and LOVE them. Great for players who don't use their nails and want more brightness.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Any feedback on how long these strings live, and doesn't the high E get nicked by the nut slot which is way too narrow
...I have had no problem with the high E string gliding through the nut slot and I did not widen it...otoh it is an 1889 guitar with the original nut so it may have been originally slotted for thicker strings....

....they seem to wear well enough ...my current set has been on the guitar for well over a year and have probably around 15 to 20 hours of playing time on them...they still sound lively...
Old 05-06-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
John Pearse designed these strings when he was working for Thomastik. I’m not certain what year that was, but I’m thinking it was in the late 60’s or early 70’s.

Yes, they’re nylon strings, but designed specifically for folk music - the windings on the B and high E strings act to boost the treble response, which is often unimpressive on classical guitars, especially on inexpensive factory-made classicals.

I have these strings on my all-laminated Espana guitar, which I bought at an estate sale for $30. It’s astounding how much better they make that guitar sound.

Martie, I don’t play with my nails, but I do sometimes use a flatpick on this guitar, which with most classical guitars creates a fairly harsh sound, perhaps even a “scrapey” sound. But not with these strings; they sound good whether I’m using bare fingers or a pick. Naturally, I can’t guarantee that they’ll work well for you, but they’re certainly worth a try.

Anyway, the primary market segment that John designed those strings for was for people playing fingerstyle acoustic music, primarily folk music styles. If I had one of those early 60’s Martin 0-16NY New Yorker models, which were designed to be played with either steel or nylon strings, this particular string set is what I would string it with.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade;

Your Espana was made for nylon strings, as it not? Mine wasn't. And mine has the adjustable rosewood saddle...

Still, I wonder about these strings, on my Espana - it's a concert size, like a Gibson B25, if I were to make a comparison. Light as a feather. Wonder how the Pearse Folk Nylon's might sound ("as is", it's a nice finger-picking guitar). I use a pick and fingers (no nails, just "flesh"). Might be fun to experiment a little.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-06-2020, 10:37 PM

They sound mighty good in this demo clip!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-06-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
John Pearse designed these strings when he was working for Thomastik. I’m not certain what year that was, but I’m thinking it was in the late 60’s or early 70’s.

Yes, they’re nylon strings, but designed specifically for folk music - the windings on the B and high E strings act to boost the treble response, which is often unimpressive on classical guitars, especially on inexpensive factory-made classicals.

I have these strings on my all-laminated Espana guitar, which I bought at an estate sale for $30. It’s astounding how much better they make that guitar sound.

Martie, I don’t play with my nails, but I do sometimes use a flatpick on this guitar, which with most classical guitars creates a fairly harsh sound, perhaps even a “scrapey” sound. But not with these strings; they sound good whether I’m using bare fingers or a pick. Naturally, I can’t guarantee that they’ll work well for you, but they’re certainly worth a try.

Anyway, the primary market segment that John designed those strings for was for people playing fingerstyle acoustic music, primarily folk music styles. If I had one of those early 60’s Martin 0-16NY New Yorker models, which were designed to be played with either steel or nylon strings, this particular string set is what I would string it with.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I think you’re correct. Pearse had worked with German builder Dieter Hopf to create a guitar which could take either light gauge feel or nylon strings a la the New York Martins which were sold as steel or nylon, and these strings were one of the long-term results of that collaboration.

I’ve used them on old Martins that are really too light for steel strings, classical, and even some *extremely* light steel-strings and they’ve worked rather well across the lot.....my first preference is almost always steel, but these are remarkable and better than most nylon strings including carbon trebles.

As Wade notes, the extra mass of the top two strings seems to add volume and body to the sound. They’re also remarkably easy to play bc the tension is not that high and the higher pitched strings are thicker....simply more mass to grab.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strings