The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #166  
Old 10-14-2020, 10:32 AM
Guitars44me's Avatar
Guitars44me Guitars44me is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mountains east of San Diego
Posts: 4,651
Smile Very interesting experiment

I am with John. My hearing is not shot, but my decades of RAWK drumming, often between Marshall stacks have taken a bit away for sure.

Still, my right ear is pretty good, and the soundport has been invented! Haha

All three of these sound FINE to me. And I find that different songs, tunings, picks or no picks, and string choices all are very good at changing tone. Probably humidity, and the mood of the player too. So many variables...

But if the audience can dance to the music, or sing along, or it moves the audience (or player) emotionally it is doing its job!

All three of these would certainly do the trick great with a remotely decent driver behind the wheel!

Off to listen again!

Salud

Paul
__________________
3 beloved John Kinnaird Customs. (I owned 6)
R.T 2c 12 fret Custom
2016 552ce 12X12
R.Wilson Weissy
A few choice 90s Taylors
budget electrics, and reso
Still Too many, but
"OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER, TOO YOUNG TO CARE!"

Last edited by Guitars44me; 10-14-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 10-14-2020, 08:13 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That was a great project. I know that my hearing ainít what it used to be, and Iíve been told it never was great, but i didnít hear much difference in the overall volume between the three guitars. There did seem to be some difference in the color and sustain.

I would like to hear your description of the differences you heard between the three and whether you had a favorite and a least favorite. (Is that a fair question?)
Thanks brother. Quick descriptions: the rosewood had the most consistency to its sound. There was the "cathedral effect" going on everywhere, first position, way up the neck, etc. But at the same time, a bit of reserve.
The mahogany was warmer to me, also more fundamental, but not as full up the neck.
The maple was on fire everywhere. More singing trebles, perhaps a bit of edge in the bass, the loudest of the three.

My favorite? I liked them all. The mahogany was the surprise to me, in that it did so well, and hung in there with the others. I'm sure it would please the recording studio personnel the best. The rosewood was predictably rich. It said to me, "Yeah...this is the sound to beat". But the maple--I think that was my favorite. Perhaps not just me either--it's already sold and gone!
Hope these musings make sense,

SK
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 10-19-2020, 12:04 PM
Diamondave's Avatar
Diamondave Diamondave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Venice CA
Posts: 2,441
Default

Awesome videos and thread, thx for sharing...!!!
__________________
onedayatatime
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 10-19-2020, 04:09 PM
j. Kinnaird's Avatar
j. Kinnaird j. Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Thanks brother. Quick descriptions: the rosewood had the most consistency to its sound. There was the "cathedral effect" going on everywhere, first position, way up the neck, etc. But at the same time, a bit of reserve.
The mahogany was warmer to me, also more fundamental, but not as full up the neck.
The maple was on fire everywhere. More singing trebles, perhaps a bit of edge in the bass, the loudest of the three.

My favorite? I liked them all. The mahogany was the surprise to me, in that it did so well, and hung in there with the others. I'm sure it would please the recording studio personnel the best. The rosewood was predictably rich. It said to me, "Yeah...this is the sound to beat". But the maple--I think that was my favorite. Perhaps not just me either--it's already sold and gone!
Hope these musings make sense,

SK
Thatís interesting and a little unexpected. I would have thought the rosewood or mahogany would have been loudest. Why do you think it turned out this way? Itís hard to control top variables even when all materials are the same. Iím assuming the bridges were the same wood.
__________________
Kinnaird Guitars
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 10-19-2020, 08:55 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Thatís interesting and a little unexpected. I would have thought the rosewood or mahogany would have been loudest. Why do you think it turned out this way? Itís hard to control top variables even when all materials are the same. Iím assuming the bridges were the same wood.
I documented this entire build on another forum (the TLC) where every choice was explained. But yes, the bridges were all cut from the same chunk of African Ebony, and all were carefully scraped until they all were the same weight.
All the steps were done sequentially, using the same settings on every tool/machine. We even had the same atmospheric conditions on the days we glued the bridges to their bodies.
As for why the maple was the loudest, all I can say is that the Birdseye maple was really kicking something into the equation.

SK
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 10-20-2020, 09:00 AM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 9,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
I documented this entire build on another forum (the TLC) where every choice was explained. But yes, the bridges were all cut from the same chunk of African Ebony, and all were carefully scraped until they all were the same weight.
All the steps were done sequentially, using the same settings on every tool/machine. We even had the same atmospheric conditions on the days we glued the bridges to their bodies.
As for why the maple was the loudest, all I can say is that the Birdseye maple was really kicking something into the equation.

SK
Or the fact that you are a magician with Maple, turning it into one of if not my favorite tonewoods, at least when you build with it.
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 10-20-2020, 06:11 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Or the fact that you are a magician with Maple, turning it into one of if not my favorite tonewoods, at least when you build with it.
Aw thanks, Tom! I'm pleased you are as fond of maple as I am.

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 10-22-2020, 12:25 PM
AZ Cardinal AZ Cardinal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 221
Default love all 3

Excellent work on all 3, just like every guitar y'all make. Ive kinda gone to the school that backs and side wood combo's take a back seat to the builders expertise and the top choice. Ultimately, visually what the buyer is lusting for makes up for what ever tonal difference their may be? IMHO.
Btw, miss you guys and hope to play some of your excellent creations very soon.
Frog
__________________
Guitarist Frog, from ďFrog and ToadĒ
Www.FrogandToadMusic.com

Wilborn Sidewinder (Braz-Adi)
Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
1985 Gibson Les Paul custom
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 10-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Cardinal View Post
Excellent work on all 3, just like every guitar y'all make. Ive kinda gone to the school that backs and side wood combo's take a back seat to the builders expertise and the top choice. Ultimately, visually what the buyer is lusting for makes up for what ever tonal difference their may be? IMHO.
Btw, miss you guys and hope to play some of your excellent creations very soon.
Frog
Brad, nice of you to drop by. Having your (old) Wilburn here with John this week has been like having Frog & Toad visit the shop. So we put on one of your CD's and pretended we were all there in Tom's great room in Spring Branch hearing some of the best instrumental music out there.
Thanks for the kind words, but especially the great tunes. Fingers crossed for the next BIG!

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 10-24-2020, 09:17 PM
mikealpine's Avatar
mikealpine mikealpine is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,300
Default

Enjoyed the test. I am convinced I need a maple guitar, now.
__________________
---------------------------------------

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Enjoyed the test. I am convinced I need a maple guitar, now.
Mike, I'm convinced you do as well. Maple makes wonderful instruments.
Glad you enjoyed the test, and thanks for dropping by.

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 10-25-2020, 10:09 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Awesome videos and thread, thx for sharing...!!!
Thank you Dave for tuning in!

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 10-25-2020, 10:14 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
...All three of these sound FINE to me. And I find that different songs, tunings, picks or no picks, and string choices all are very good at changing tone. Probably humidity, and the mood of the player too. So many variables...

But if the audience can dance to the music, or sing along, or it moves the audience (or player) emotionally it is doing its job!

All three of these would certainly do the trick great with a remotely decent driver behind the wheel!

Paul
Ah, there's an interesting test idea: same guitar, three different players.
Hmm...

Thanks for dropping by Paul,

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 10-27-2020, 02:24 PM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,255
Default

When you let Apple make your work playlist: why listen to a good song once when you can hear it twice in a row?

__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 10-28-2020, 04:54 AM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 4,671
Default

Nice list Ryan! Can't disagree about the "2-in-a-row" song. Must be inspiring.
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=