The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Eastman Archtop or Thinline?

Hey everyone! Currently I am looking for a jazzy sounding guitar for my studio. After doing quite a bit of research on the web and on YouTube I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy the tonal qualities of the Eastman line over the similarly priced competition around the $1000 mark. With that said I am torn between the T486B and the AR372CE. I understand they are different animals and I love them both but can only afford one. I am thinking that the 486 will be more versatile and cover a wider range of genres. However it is closer sounding to a solid body than the 372. At this point I have a Schecter C1 Standard and Takamine acoustic. Which of the two Eastman's do you believe would make the best "in-between" guitar? I should also mention that this instruments primary role is for clients to use in the studio. However, I am planning to play on it as well.

Cheers,
Greg

Last edited by thercman; 03-15-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thercman View Post
...Currently I am looking for a jazzy sounding guitar for my studio...I am thinking that the 486 will be more versatile and cover a wider range of genres...
Looks like you answered your own question - a semi-hollow is the classic definition of "in-between" guitar, very little ground you won't be able to cover...

Welcome to the forum,,,
Old 03-18-2015, 01:00 AM

Smile

Hi Steve,

Thanks! Yeah I wasn't sure if the Archtop was going to lean to much to the acoustic side or not. It does. So now my dilemma is whether to get the T386 or the T486.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 AM

For a studio guitar I'd go with the 386 - not too many guys are going to use the Bigsby, and you don't need the tuning problems...
Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 PM

Thanks Steve! Any recommendations on a combo amp? The studio is a home based studio and the amp will be mic'd so I don't need anything crazy...
Old 03-20-2015, 04:15 PM

I'm partial to the Bugera V22 1x12" combo; IMO there's no substitute for real tube tone, and this little loud-machine has more sonic mojo than anything has a right to have for $375. Out of the box it'll get you a good assortment of clean and OD tones at reasonable volume levels (the triode/pentode switch serves not only as a power reducer but a tone modifier), the mid-boost punches up the classic Vox/Marshall vibe in either mode (some nice "brown" tones in there when you play with the preamp and master a bit), and it's got one of the best-sounding built-in digi-verbs on the market (you can actually go deep into Dick Dale/Ventures territory with this one). It also responds extremely well to simple DIY mods - I loaded mine with an Eminence Swamp Thang, some NOS Soviet-era mil-spec tubes, and a mild rebias, and I've got a plug-and-play '60s Ampeg Gemini II/B-12XT NYC studio "key club" tone clone that'll handle a 700-seat hall clean or dirty with no problem, and still power down to bedroom-practice levels. If you need more versatility and/or "that sound" at a moment's notice, the new Fender Mustang and Champion models seem to be a favorite over on the Electric forum - FWIW you might want to post over there, since those guys are as a whole more attuned (no pun intended) to this end of the market...
Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 AM

The Bugera V22 1x12" sounds pretty good. I always wonder why guitarists opt for amps with 12" speakers since the low E is only 82Hz. 10" speakers would more accurately represent the guitars frequency range. *shrug* Maybe I would be better off buying the Bugera V22HD Infinium 22-Watt Tube Head and doing my own enclosure. Thanks for all the sound (pun intended) advice.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:05 PM

While in theory you're correct - and absent the coloration added by the tone stack in the associated amplifier (traditional electric guitar amps were never intended to be "hi-fi" linear) - there are other factors that historically tended to favor a 1x12" as the practical minimum for "balanced" guitar tone - which, in the interest of brevity, I won't get into here. Suffice it to say that until extremely recently the low-end weight, warmth, and projection expected of a guitar amp was unattainable with smaller speakers, unless used in multiple configurations (viz. 3x10" tweed Bandmaster/4x10" Bassman, 2x10" Super/Vibrolux Reverb, 4x10" Concert/Super Reverb), and except in the 4x10" the term most often used to describe the bass response is "tight" - simple physics dictates that those E- and A-string notes require more air to be moved to project them over a longer distance. While a 1x8" Champ or 1x10" Princeton Reverb may be a great close-miked studio/small-room or practice amp, I played through enough of the latter back when blackface was new to know that their strong point in a band situation was "cut" rather than depth - and by way of comparison, under Everett Hull's leadership Ampeg (the darlings of the NYC jazz and studio players back in the day) would never install anything less than a 12" in even their lowest-priced amps. My thoughts: go with the combo, and build/purchase an extension cab to experiment with; you can unplug and bypass the internal speaker if you wish - and it's always there for practice purposes, if you want to go with a dual-cab setup, or Murphy's Law kicks in and you blow your extension...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops