The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-03-2021, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Ray,

I'm almost of space on Soundcloud, so I started a YouTube where you can find Deal (see link below my signature-- it's not posted on AGF, but maybe we should have a thread just for Dead covers).
Man, that's a KILLER version of Deal. You sing it well too. I never worked that one out on acoustic - used to play it on electric some. I may have to dig that one up again as well. I love playing electric lead on stuff like that, but you really make it work well as just a rhythm workout. Kept my foot tappin', that's for sure!

-Ray
Old 03-03-2021, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Man, that's a KILLER version of Deal. You sing it well too. I never worked that one out on acoustic - used to play it on electric some. I may have to dig that one up again as well. I love playing electric lead on stuff like that, but you really make it work well as just a rhythm workout. Kept my foot tappin', that's for sure!

-Ray
Thanks so much, Ray. I'm pretty happy with the rhythm guitar, and the vocal isn't as bad as usual

I was able to listen to your Loser on a decent speaker at lunchtime. That is a roaring solo, very tasty, every note played with meaning and conviction. Wasting your talents on acoustic, buddy

Joe (SW1), sorry for the thread drift. Back to regularly scheduled programming. Anxiously awaiting more Dead from you and the kid!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
You made me realize I'd somehow gotten it wrong for a LONG time - I was repeating the chorus (Last fair deal....) after every verse and I wasn't playing the last verse twice (before the lead, and then to end the song). I also went back and listened to some of the Dead's versions and I gotta say, I generally love the Dead's one drummer period from 72-74 more than any other time, but they were kind of lame on Loser then, and they really owned this in the '77 shows. They also didn't have "Sweet Suzie" in the 72-74 shows and DID have it in 77. Maybe they took it out again later? I didn't check out anything later than 77.

I've probably recorded this thing wrong 2-3 times since I had an old Fostex 4-track cassette recorder back in the mid-80s and more recently with my Spire Studio. So, inspired by you and your son, and then Jerry and the boyz, I took another shot at it this morning. I only use the electric guitar for rhythm accents except during the lead break - I don't have those cool little Jerry-isms your son is getting such a good grasp on. Oh, and I can't sing, but I do it anyway. Anyhow, if interested... And thanks again for the inspiration.

https://soundcloud.com/ray-sachs/loser

-Ray
Ray, Really great version. Killer lead! So glad you recorded it and posted it here.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 03-03-2021, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I was able to listen to your Loser on a decent speaker at lunchtime. That is a roaring solo, very tasty, every note played with meaning and conviction. Wasting your talents on acoustic, buddy
Thanks Bob. Yeah, I grew up playing a lot more electric than acoustic. Now I play more acoustic, but I still love to add electric parts and drop a lead in when it fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Ray, Really great version. Killer lead! So glad you recorded it and posted it here.
Thanks Joe. Sorry for the thread drift, but it was the thread that made me want to record this again, so kind of a tribute to you and your son!

-Ray
Old 03-06-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Nice "Dead" vibe going there - and always a joy when you can get to play with one of the kids!

Good job - you've get the Jerry vocals down really well.

D.H.

Thanks guys. Stay tuned as the kid just received his 16th birthday present a franken strat designed (by him) to get a Jerry tone.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 03-06-2021, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Good lord. This is good on so many levels. Kudos to the kid, and kudos to your voice. APLUS
Old 03-10-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Good lord. This is good on so many levels. Kudos to the kid, and kudos to your voice. APLUS
Very kind of you Sal. Best part of my day is playing with the family.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell