The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-23-2023, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Lots of great luthier friends. Many kind souls out there for sure.
Old 12-23-2023, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I agree with your sentiment MM. It is one of the reason we started our guitar show to help the luthiers have another spot to market their guitars. Having them for 3 days with limited folks in attendance has turned out to be just a great way to get to know everyone on a personal level when they are just themselves, not in "show" mode. Seeing them cry listening to one of their guitars being demoed is quite an experience as they hear their work manifested before their very eyes in a quaint setting. It really means something to them.
I can only imagine how moving this experience would be.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:46 PM

I'm not a luthier. I make instruments as a hobby and some of them go to family or friends. Some are acoustic guitars, most are basses of one sort or another but there have been ukuleles (tenor and bass) and even a cuatro and a Nordic mandola.
I've had a lot of help from other enthusiasts on the various luthery forums, but, occasionally I've reached out to specific professionals asking if they wouldn't mind sharing information and, each time, I've been amazed by their generosity and willingness to help. And these weren't just any old professionals. You may have heard of some of them. People like Steve Kinnaird, Stephen Sheriff (Edwinson), Christer Adin, Steve Fischer (who created the PRS acoustics) and Ben Wilborn have been more than generous and I'm very grateful to them.
You're right. Luthiers are the nicest people.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
I can only imagine how moving this experience would be.
Maybe you need to add this to your todo list for this fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Higham View Post
I'm not a luthier. I make instruments as a hobby and some of them go to family or friends. Some are acoustic guitars, most are basses of one sort or another but there have been ukuleles (tenor and bass) and even a cuatro and a Nordic mandola.
I've had a lot of help from other enthusiasts on the various luthery forums, but, occasionally I've reached out to specific professionals asking if they wouldn't mind sharing information and, each time, I've been amazed by their generosity and willingness to help. And these weren't just any old professionals. You may have heard of some of them. People like Steve Kinnaird, Stephen Sheriff (Edwinson), Christer Adin, Steve Fischer (who created the PRS acoustics) and Ben Wilborn have been more than generous and I'm very grateful to them.
You're right. Luthiers are the nicest people.
Some of my favorite people were listed in this post. They truly are great folks.
Old 12-30-2023, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Maybe you need to add this to your todo list for this fall?

Some of my favorite people were listed in this post. They truly are great folks.
Maybe I should!!! I think I will try to make one of the conferences in 2024.
Old 12-30-2023, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I second all the nice opinions above. And thank you, Tom, for providing such a wonderful “Love Fest” for folks to get acquainted and play the spectacular fruits of Luthier Labors!

Merry Christmas, and a Super New Year to all

Paul
Same to you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop