The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
That looks soooo good! I love the pronounced volute behind the headstock.
These curves look particularly nice to my eye with the satin black finish and was another reason for the heel shape we used. I find the satin gives an added dimension to the curved shapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats, I am glad this finally got done with all the issues. Looks wonderful and will sound better I am sure.
Thanks, getting excited to be able to pick this up in person, should be interesting seeing all of Joel's bench mates and their work as well. This will be fun, who says you can't have your cake and eat it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats, I hope that Joel’s guitar turns out to be everything that you hoped for and more...
Thanks, the journey getting this made has been worth it. I can see why others here on the Custom Forum enjoy these builds so much that you keep going back for more. The process is very addictive

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 03-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Sure does look nice! Congrats again. Have a safe trip.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Getting Exciting...!!!
You bet

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 03-10-2018, 02:37 PM

Ian this is phenomenal! Definitely worth the wait! Safe trip...
Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Sure does look nice! Congrats again. Have a safe trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Ian this is phenomenal! Definitely worth the wait! Safe trip...
The only thing that can stop me now is the weather, but the long term forecast does not show anything major coming our way. Since I have an all wheel drive Subaru w/ snow tires, it's gon'na have to be something big to keep me home

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 03-18-2018, 08:59 AM

Cool Mile End Guitar Coop Visit

Well my whirl wind trip is accomplished and I got to see Joel and visit with the gang at Mile End Guitar Coop. Almost 1200 kms in 2 days, a lot of driving but it was worth it. A very nice way to cap off the project, I would highly recommend this for anyone thinking about travelling to pickup their build guitar.

The icing on the cake for me was not only did I get to meet Joel and pick up my guitar, but I got to meet his new bench mates and get a glimpse of their work. Most may know, but for those who do not, Joel has temporarily moved his chisel/tools to Montreal from Calgary. He is working in a Guitar Coop with eight other builders in a very eclectic, vibrant, highly collaborative environment; it reminded me of my art college days. I would like to thank Mike Kennedy of Indian Hill Guitars (another AGF sponsor and founding member of the Coop) and the other members for letting me spend the day with them. Certainly a dynamic, engaging and exhilarating atmosphere. To learn a little more about the Coop, you can review this Guitar World Article -

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/mon...ces-creativity

And they have a Facebook page here -

https://www.facebook.com/MileEndGuitarCoop/

Throughout the build Joel and I developed a nice friendship, so getting to meet up in person was very enjoyable. I wish we could have spent a little more time together, but we are looking at getting together later in the spring when my time should open up a bit more (maybe a second build may be in the works ). As proof is in the pictures, here are some quick shots of the visit. First up is the unveiling -

Then picking the first notes -

I will be posting a more thorough review of the guitar but suffice it to say, I was amazed at how well the guitar fit my needs and playing style. Though I don't have a ton of experience with high end guitars, this really seemed like a world class instrument, definitely a step up above my custom Webber. For a smaller guitar (OO size), it had a presence that could fill the large work room with sound. Something my Eastman OM could never do. The Manchinga was stunning in person, and as an added bonus, I thought the Adi top was one of the nicest pieces I have ever seen. A most excellent day, to say the least.

The other great thing about visiting was seeing what else is on the luthiers bench. I had just missed a couple guitars that had gone to the finisher, in particular, a Sitka/Quilted Maple OM which will also have a satin black neck. There was a 2 piece Snakewood back and side set getting prep'd, which will have a matching fret board and bridge. And, other tops/backs/sides in various stages of completion.

What really caught my eye, was this little beauty -

An all "Tree" build ready for French Polishing, now that's not something you get to see ever day . Well, I'm no expert on the "Tree" yet these were really nice sets to my eye. The symmetry of the halves was excellent, and the figure was very pronounced. I now see why this wood is considered so special.

I'll get to posting my detailed review soon, but here's a last pic of Joel & I with my new guitar -

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new guitar...
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Well that’s a work of art! Congratulations!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Congrats, makes all the trials and tribulations worth it!!!

Was that all tree guitar a build for someone or a spec, do you know?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Was that all tree guitar a build for someone or a spec, do you know?
There's a customer for this guitar, though Joel didn't think they were a AGF regular as there has been no discussion about the forum. I also forgot to ask what country this client was in as well.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 03-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Ian. So glad to see this beauty in your hands.

Couldn’t agree more with the idea of an in-person visit to pickup the guitar. It is a special time you will not soon forget.

Looking forward to your thoughts after a couple months getting to know your new sweetheart.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Congratulations. You must be very happy. What a great trip. Wishing you many years of enjoyment with that guitar.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Ian on your beautiful new guitar and fun weekend with Joel and the rest of the builders. Also welcome to the Michaud family of happy guitar owners. Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:06 PM

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and comments. I'll get more time to play later this week, and give a full review. I'm still working on seeing if I can post up a sound clip somehow.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
The icing on the cake for me was not only did I get to meet Joel and pick up my guitar, but I got to meet his new bench mates and get a glimpse of their work. Most may know, but for those who do not, Joel has temporarily moved his chisel/tools to Montreal from Calgary. He is working in a Guitar Coop with eight other builders in a very eclectic, vibrant, highly collaborative environment; it reminded me of my art college days. I would like to thank Mike Kennedy of Indian Hill Guitars (another AGF sponsor and founding member of the Coop) and the other members for letting me spend the day with them. Certainly a dynamic, engaging and exhilarating atmosphere.
Glad the trip worked out and that you got spend a good bit of time in the shop; you're welcome back anytime! It's been great for all of us having Joel in the coop -- besides all the back and forth sharing of ideas Joel's just about the nicest guy out there. And believe it or not, it took a while but I somehow clawed my way back from near extinction and managed to beat Joshia in the end to win the big poker game on Friday night!

Mike
instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop