The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Please recommend extension amp for AER Compact 60

Use my AER Compact 60 for a medium sized outdoor venue.Would like to add an "extension " unit to cover more area.

What would you recommend?

Prefer something fairly portable and light weight.Also line out capability for a monitor

Alternatives I've considered:AER alpha,Carvin stagemate 600 etc.

Anything else that would be less expensive and functional?

Thanks,

Gabe
Old 09-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Well, the PERFECT extension speaker would be one of the AER powered monitor units... I believe it is exactly a Compact 60, but in a slightly different shape and without all the preamp controls. It may also have a bit more power.

Of course, AER gear isn't cheap, but, as you know, the sound is well worth it! I did see one on our Classifieds for sale, used, but that was a few years ago... I don't think anyone ever bought it.

If you have never turned your Compact "way up", you would be surprised at both how GREAT they sound when playing loud, but also how REALLY LOUD they can get!

I used mine in a rood that was 25'w x 80'deep with 20 foot ceilings, full of folks who were drinking and talking... and that AER not only "cut it", it sounded really, really good in the process!

Just make sure that the unit is far enough away from you when you crank it, or else you are going to get some serious resonance from your guitar! I just had mine on the side of a stage, cutting across my position while covering the room... worked great for me and I was not expecting that outcome; I was fully prepared to run a line-out to the house PA system (a DJ's rig)...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Danny,

I'll check out the AER option for sure.

The venue is a farmer's market with about 30 stalls spaced out.Coverage needed is about 50 yards in each direction.Being outside the sound dissipates rapidly...

Usually the master volume on the compact 60 is about 80% to maximum.

Gabe
Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

The AER AG8 will be very very close to the sonics and behavior of your Compact 60.

AER AG8
Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
Thanks Danny,

I'll check out the AER option for sure.

The venue is a farmer's market with about 30 stalls spaced out.Coverage needed is about 50 yards in each direction.Being outside the sound dissipates rapidly...

Usually the master volume on the compact 60 is about 80% to maximum.

Gabe
Gabe; be sure to set the individual channel gain nice and hot (but not clipping or distorted...

I use the Anthem SL pickup in both my 6 and 12 string guitars, and the gain setting on channel one of my Compact is set to about 1 to 3 o'clock, or 2/3 to 3/4 max... that works about right and allows the master volume to not even approach the halfway point (for the volume at that gig I mentioned)... when I sing and play through the amp, I have to adjust the vocal channel mic's gain down a bit to balance out the two signals, but still had plenty of overall volume, even running my Compact at about 40% in that huge room...

Oh, and the name is John, not Danny... that's the guy who wrote the song I quote in my sig line...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-26-2015, 12:17 AM

Schertler Jam 150 extension. Self powered. Line in. Line out. Volume. Easily portable.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:50 AM

Cool

I also have a compact 60 that's fine in normal use . However if I have a larger need I use my Flashback Delay as a stereo link to my Marshall AS50D , you could also use another Compact 60 in this way
In from the guitar and stereo outs to each amp then I use a slight ping pong and stereo tape setting on the flashback . There is a you tubeclip of Gordon Giltrap demoing the AS50D x2 in this way on the Marshall website , sound rather good

Do you use the pole mount on the AER ? AER amps on there own need to be placed quite high to get the spread . Also for a few years I made the mistake of having the channel volume quite low , now I turn it so the light is just away for clipping but doesn't , makes a big difference .

If you want the AER route , well the AER powered monitors would be the ideal just like a small PA .

If I was buying gear again I would have 2x AS50Ds and use them like a small PA
as I like the spread of the 2x10 speakers + the tweeter of the Marshall , but the AER is one hell of an amp great gear and sound and I find the portability second to none
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Gabe; be sure to set the individual channel gain nice and hot (but not clipping or distorted...

I use the Anthem SL pickup in both my 6 and 12 string guitars, and the gain setting on channel one of my Compact is set to about 1 to 3 o'clock, or 2/3 to 3/4 max... that works about right and allows the master volume to not even approach the halfway point (for the volume at that gig I mentioned)... when I sing and play through the amp, I have to adjust the vocal channel mic's gain down a bit to balance out the two signals, but still had plenty of overall volume, even running my Compact at about 40% in that huge room...

Oh, and the name is John, not Danny... that's the guy who wrote the song I quote in my sig line...
Thanks Johnny-will try those settings.

One thing: the market vendors across from me find my amp a bit too loud.I think I'm going to elevate the amp so it sits about 5 ft up.Presently it's at 4 ft.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification