The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Reverb Trouble

I sold a guitar on Reverb. A perfect 2021 Taylor 512CE 12-fretter. I described it as "Excellent+++" because I hesitate to use "like new" or "near mint," but it was definitely like new. The buyer received the guitar and left me 5-star feedback, stating that the guitar was "better that described."

Now I get a message from Reverb telling me that the guy wants a refund. He states the the guitar is "not as described." He says, and I quote:

"After playing the guitar, I found that the G string is buzzing when played open. Upon examining, the first fret is touching the G string. Description said that the guitar was in excellent condition, but it is not playable without the buzzing."

Let me ask you guys, is this even possible? Can an open G buzz on a Taylor guitar that is set up just right and plays perfectly.

I know what I think, but I am interested in what you guys think. Let me know, please.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Here's my AGF ad:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=666556
Old 06-08-2023, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

How long after the sale did the buyer request a refund? It's possible that humidity could've altered the action and caused buzzing.

It's annoying that the buyer didn't send you a message or anything to try to resolve the issue prior to going through Reverb either. Worst case the guitar just needs a setup but unfortunately there are a lot of folks who expect absolute perfection. You might consider sending the buyer a message to get more info and try to see if you can come to a resolution/avoid them returning the guitar.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

There are a lot of shady characters who pull stuff like that when they have buyer’s remorse or it’s not what they wanted. A refund isn’t a reasonable solution because he said it was better than described and this sudden issue with playability isn’t a reason to return it, you can easily correct that with a setup. I’d make that case to Reverb because it’s unreasonable to send back a guitar due to setup preferences and the obvious natural things that could cause buzzing that weren’t present on the seller’s end.

I’d ask Reverb to step in. You’ll never work it out between you and the buyer if he’s just looking to get out of it.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:43 PM

Maybe the buyer put some extra light silk and steel on it and it buzzes as a result? Could be a whole bunch of factors but nothing from your ad suggests anything of the sort.

Either way, personally, condition doesn’t really have anything to do with the setup. Reverb doesn’t really even comment on functionality in most of its descriptions, purely cosmetics. They only get into it describing functionality as ‘a broken neck’.

I don’t see how this applies.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

Let me ask you guys, is this even possible? Can an open G buzz on a Taylor guitar that is set up just right and plays perfectly.
Yes, it is possible, especially if you have it setup very low. Changes int eh environment can cause changes in the guitar. Ask the buyer to loosen the truss rod. This is a very normal thing to do on the buyer's end; i.e. I'd fight the refund request if everything's like what you've said.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:51 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
I sold a guitar on Reverb. A perfect 2021 Taylor 512CE 12-fretter. I described it as "Excellent+++" because I hesitate to use "like new" or "near mint," but it was definitely like new. The buyer received the guitar and left me 5-star feedback, stating that the guitar was "better that described."

Now I get a message from Reverb telling me that the guy wants a refund. He states the the guitar is "not as described." He says, and I quote:

"After playing the guitar, I found that the G string is buzzing when played open. Upon examining, the first fret is touching the G string. Description said that the guitar was in excellent condition, but it is not playable without the buzzing."

I know what I think, but I am interested in what you guys think. Let me know, please.
I'm sorry to read about your troubles, Ken. There's a few different ways to think about it. After a long protracted battle, you may well end up having to refund the buyer's money anyway. The sooner you get the guitar back, the less time an unhappy buyer has to mess with it.

OTOH, if he's had it for a few weeks, has posted excellent feedback, didn't notify you of any issues, it does seem kind of fishy. Was today the first time the guy played an open G? If he seems unreasonable now, dealing with him is going to be a frustrating time sink for you. If you can get the guitar home safely, quickly, you can try to troubleshoot it (if in fact it's not a "user error" and it sounds like it might be) and then sell it to someone else.

Let us know how it all turns out. I wouldn't immediately say the guys a scammer; he just may not know what he's doing. Or how to describe it. What he's calling a buzzy G string could be something else entirely. Would he be open to doing a video call? That will be a lot more efficient that trying to figure it out via messaging and email.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-08-2023, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Reverb is too expensive for the seller and seems to always side with the buyer. I stopped selling stuff there after I sold my Klon.

+
Old 06-08-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
... unfortunately there are a lot of folks who expect absolute perfection.
This is a major reason why I am done with selling things on-line. From a whole lot of these kinds of sales issues I've come to the conclusion that there are way too many anal people in the world.

My guess as the problem with your particular case is just environmental; the guitar need to get acclimated to its new home.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 06-09-2023 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

sorry to hear this...

Did the buyer send any pics of the string touching the fret?
I've had some issues buying, and I will send the seller pics.... to prove my case.....
Old 06-08-2023, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Based upon his excellent rating initially, this sounds like a textbook case of buyer's remorse, for whatever reason.

Rob
Old 06-08-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:

If the G string is "touching the first fret" and buzzing when played open then it is not set up correctly.

Given the time that passed my suspicions are there's a distinct possibility that the slot was dropped too low when someone attempted a "setup". Without knowing all of the details it's impossible to know that for sure, but there's nothing about a Taylor that would cause ONLY the G string to touch if there was a change in neck relief or something else environmentally related.

It does put you in the difficult position of refunding the purchase and correcting anything that might have happened when it wasn't in your possession. With only the sketchy details related it sounds like it will need a new nut if it's to be put back in top form.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

a low nut slot can be filled with bone dust and superglue, a quick and easy fix.....
Old 06-08-2023, 07:45 PM

I'm not saying it is a humidity issue, but it could be. Had it happen to one of mine.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:04 PM

So sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations Ken.

Your experience reinforces my preference to consign guitars through a shop and take the financial hit that comes with it.

Best of luck on a quick and satisfactory resolution.

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion