The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-07-2023, 10:38 PM

Default Caipira 10 string guitar

My ex-wife just got back from Portugal a couple weeks ago and while she was there saw a 12 string guitar that she purchased from a guitar store over there. (According to her, it was a very different kind of 12 string from what we’re used to here. It has a whole different tuning and different tones for each string, apparently.)

Anyway, when she received the guitar the other day, it wasn’t the guitar she ordered. It was a 10 string Portuguese caipira guitar. She contacted the company in Portugal and they apologized and said they’d send her the one she bought and to keep the 10 string.

She didn’t want it so she gave it to me. I’ve played guitar for over 50 years and while I’m not exactly Tommy Emmanuel, I’m fairly competent. Took me about 45 minutes to just figure out how to tune it properly. Now I need to learn how to play it. YouTube wasn’t too helpful. There are a few videos of people playing one but nothing I could see that might show some pointers on how to use it myself. Anybody here familiar with these guitars and know where I might begin to educate myself?
Old 06-09-2023, 01:27 PM

I got into into Portuguese/Brazilian styles because of the style of music - played a bunch of trad/Latin nylon string guitar, then bossa nova and all that. Then later got into accordions and the fast forro dance styles really grabbed me - I play with a percussion track on bluetooth (since covid) in forro, baiao, cumbia styles - really fun.

Can approach caipira any way you would like - as the examples available online show. I like the way it's used in Brazilian ensembles as a kind of large mandola - playing rhythmic, harmonic and melodic accents, counterpoint, embellishments. It sounds nice solo too - like a big metallic ronroco.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:02 PM

Is the Caipira more like a 10 string mandolin or Bandolim as they call it in Brazil?

Check out Ian Coury, he's a Brazilian playing bandolim that attends Berkley. He released a new album of Choro instrumentals that are kind of jazzy funky called Bora Brazil.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:18 PM

So after checking out various YouTube videos that I hoped would shed some light on this caipira guitar I discovered that like the guitar tunings we're accustomed to on our guitars, there are a lot of different tunings that can be used on a caipira. The video that was most helpful for me had a guy who tuned his to an open D. He had it tuned A-D-F#-A-D. It sounds pretty good on my guitar with that configuration and at least it's a place for me to start.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments