The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-07-2023, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Barricades of Heaven by Jackson Browne (cover)

This is my cover of Jackson Browne's 1996 release of "Barricades of Heaven." I hope you like this; this has always been one of my favorite songs. By doing a multi-track cover of this song, I was able to use not only my Gibson AJ but a couple of electric guitars, bass and electric organ.

Thanks for watching!

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2023, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Hey Glenn! Another fine cover, really enjoyed it. Well played and sung! I've always liked this track as well. In addition, you have a beautiful collection of instruments.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-07-2023, 05:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Really nice! LOVE this tune & you did a great job of it.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-07-2023, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Top notch!!! Very nice listen Glenn

Please don't take this the wrong way but you are leaving a legacy of 'Glenn' to all of your family that will enjoy these for years to come.

I'm sure you'll be here for 50 more years but these recordings and videos will be here for eternity. You are right where I want to be. That's probably why I connect to you so strongly (other than the great freakin music/recordings you play).

Warm Regards,
Billy
Old 06-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hey Glenn! Another fine cover, really enjoyed it. Well played and sung! I've always liked this track as well. In addition, you have a beautiful collection of instruments.
Thanks so much, Joe!

I'm so pleased that you feel this came out well! That's cool that you have also really enjoyed this Jackson Browne composition and recording. I just can't get enough of his recording!

I do have some lovely instruments. I know I am very fortunate and it's fun to get a chance to use them on a project like this!

Thanks so much for watching and for your kind words, Joe! I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2023, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Really nice! LOVE this tune & you did a great job of it.
Hi Maury!

What an honor to hear from you! How nice of you! And I'm glad you already appreciated this song and that you feel I did well with this cover of mine.

Thank you so much for the kind words, Maury! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Top notch!!! Very nice listen Glenn

Please don't take this the wrong way but you are leaving a legacy of 'Glenn' to all of your family that will enjoy these for years to come.

I'm sure you'll be here for 50 more years but these recordings and videos will be here for eternity. You are right where I want to be. That's probably why I connect to you so strongly (other than the great freakin music/recordings you play).

Warm Regards,
Billy
Hi Billy!

Thank you very much for your very kind words!

No, I am not taking your legacy comments wrong at all. I know I'm not going to last forever, and I do want to leave a little legacy behind so that my family remembers the music I loved to make. So, thank you for your kind thoughts!

I have to tell you right back, Billy, that I am so pleased that you enjoy the music I record! Thanks for making me feel good!

And I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2023, 08:58 PM

A wonderful production and sound Glenn! Each and every time you hit one out of the park!! And of course I'm sure that's your goal and intent!

I marvel at how all this comes together for you.....and ultimately for us here on AGF. I realize the work and commitment and as you stated above, there's a certain amount of legacy going on which I truly understand and share as I create my own material knowing I'm leaving a little something for family for future listening.

Congrats on such nice work, Glenn!

Best,
fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-07-2023, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
A wonderful production and sound Glenn! Each and every time you hit one out of the park!! And of course I'm sure that's your goal and intent!

I marvel at how all this comes together for you.....and ultimately for us here on AGF. I realize the work and commitment and as you stated above, there's a certain amount of legacy going on which I truly understand and share as I create my own material knowing I'm leaving a little something for family for future listening.

Congrats on such nice work, Glenn!

Best,
fred
Thank you so much, Fred!

I'm so very pleased that you thought this came out well! I did put a couple of weeks worth of effort into this, a couple of hours at a time.

I mentioned to my wife a while ago about how much I really liked Jackson Browne's recording of this song but that I didn't think it would make an appropriate cover for me. It seems so personal, a very autobiographical sketch of his early experiences in the music world. She agreed that is was a very personal song, but suggested, why couldn't I do it? I thought about it and ultimately changed my mind. And then it became a labor of love.

Thanks for your time in listening and commenting and thanks for the kind words, Fred! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2023, 10:25 PM

I've connected with this song since the day it was released. Jackson grew up about 5 miles from me, went to Sunny Hills High with my friends the Halls, and hung out at the local places named in the song - The Paradox in Orange, the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, and the Rouge et Noir in Seal Beach. I always assumed Jimmy was the guy in the Nitty Gritty, but have never confirmed it.

Another of J. Browne's songs, Running on Empty, absolutely nails the high school class of '66 - dead center in the massive cultural changes of the '60s.

Nice cover.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I've connected with this song since the day it was released. Jackson grew up about 5 miles from me, went to Sunny Hills High with my friends the Halls, and hung out at the local places named in the song - The Paradox in Orange, the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, and the Rouge et Noir in Seal Beach. I always assumed Jimmy was the guy in the Nitty Gritty, but have never confirmed it.

Another of J. Browne's songs, Running on Empty, absolutely nails the high school class of '66 - dead center in the massive cultural changes of the '60s.

Nice cover.
Wow! Some very interesting history! What an amazing connection to this song!

I'm glad you thought I did okay with this cover! Thanks for taking time to listen and comment.

I hope all is well, all the best to you!

- Glenn
Old 06-08-2023, 12:32 AM

Great multi-track performance here Glenn, all the parts work together great, but for the life of me I can't figure out the FX you've got going on the Strat single note lines. Sounds fuzzy, sounds almost doubled Sounds cool!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-08-2023 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

What’s better than A JB cover on a fine rosewood Gibson? Glenn’s cover. Bravo…
Old 06-08-2023, 04:05 AM

That's a very nice version of such a great Jackson Browne tune. Your voice really suits it as well. Thank you for sharing, my friend.

I like the half-step down tuning as well. I don't know if you've seen this performance of the tune with Jeff Young, Val McCallum (Jill Ireland's son!), and the always incredible Greg Leisz, but it was the first time I heard that song. I believe Jackson is playing a Gibson as well, which makes your version even more appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDWfEmNhWmg

Last edited by Railroad Bum; 06-08-2023 at 06:14 AM. Reason: More Information
Old 06-08-2023, 06:39 AM

Really fine job, Glenn.

This song has always taken me back to my 60s experiences as a teen growing up playing music with my friends. A time of relative peace in the world without any pressures provided incredibly vivid memories of an upbringing that I wouldn’t trade for a million bucks. Although the location was different, the spirit was the same.

Thanks for working up this great JB tune, Glenn.

Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell