The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 04:22 PM

Posted by Rudy4:

"You could get the USA-made Guild M-20 at that price if you ask nicely!"

To which I would add: DANG! That guitar is a pretty little thing, and sounds just fine. Enough to change my mind about Guild. Not enough to make be sell my Blueridge and buy one, you understand, but this is an example of the consciousness changing effect of the kind of information that an old guitar player can only get on the AGF.

Thanks, Rudy4!
Old 06-08-2023, 04:38 PM

I'd love to see more ladder-braced guitars, not just the handful of Waterloo and luthier built offerings, good as they may be.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtele View Post
I have been thinking about the acoustic guitar market recently and thinking about what, if any, realistic/economical market niches are currently not being met.

I'm not sure if I'm describing this currently, but a couple of tangential examples that come to mind would be:
  • The Taylor GS Mini. The body size and proportions combined with the build quality was just a total revelation for a lot of people. I'm sure there were boutique builds out there, but for most people, there was just no access to that kind of thing before that model.
  • Luna guitars. I haven't played one of these but my sense of the brand is that, laminate being laminate, there are probably some folks who aren't buying $3000 guitars who would be into colors, designs, wolves. I don't know how well they sell, but I can totally appreciate the idea.

So -- what are you GASing for that just isn't on the market nowadays?

"Fingerstyle-friendly" guitars. Quite a few names in Asia but not huge in North America yet. Some common features include low-profile necks, low action (I know this is all about set-up), modern sound/bracing/aesthetics. Some brand names that come up to mind include: Morris, Avian, Naga, Maestro...

Interestingly, the Morris models seen in North America are very different from those popular in Japan, where they are made. The fingerstyle type is only available in Japan.

Really wish these brands get more exposure in North America.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtele View Post
I have been thinking about the acoustic guitar market recently and thinking about what, if any, realistic/economical market niches are currently not being met. . . .
White cases. Why are they black? They get so hot in the sun that I worry about cooking my instruments.

I don't care about dirt. That's what cases are for: to catch the dirt and dings that would've hit your guitar. The point isn't pretty. The point is functional.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
White cases. Why are they black? They get so hot in the sun that I worry about cooking my instruments.

I don't care about dirt. That's what cases are for: to catch the dirt and dings that would've hit your guitar. The point isn't pretty. The point is functional.
You know I never thought about that.

But you're absolutely right. I have a tweed covered case for my tele and it doesn't get nearly as warm in the sun as a black case.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion