The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-07-2023, 04:45 AM

Default AER Compact 60/K&K Pure Mini/Pre-Amp?

Is the onboard pre-amp in the AER Compact 60 sufficient to handle the K&K Prue Mini? or do I need the external K&K pre-amp as well? Also running the LR Baggs Session EQ & Compressor. Overkill? New to the plugged in acoustic world, thanks for your comments.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns32034 View Post
Is the onboard pre-amp in the AER Compact 60 sufficient to handle the K&K Prue Mini? or do I need the external K&K pre-amp as well? Also running the LR Baggs Session EQ & Compressor. Overkill? New to the plugged in acoustic world, thanks for your comments.
Hi burns…
Depends on your ear for the sound, and your tolerance levels.

My suggestion is try it without an external preamp for a while and if you still want to improve it, then add a decently designed preamp which adds more tone controls.

If by 'handle it' you mean will it produce a decent tone when plugged in directly…sure it will. Can it be improved?…yes. Without a preamp it will sound like an acoustic guitar. As you add quality preamps with tone adjustments, it can start to sound more like "YOUR" guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-09-2023, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

The AER has plenty of gain and a 1 Meg input impedence. It should work and sound fine without an outboard preamp.

If you want a preamp the the Red-Eye preamp was designed for the K&K. I have use one and it is a good preamp.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-09-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I run K&K pups naked into a Udo daCapo 75. (An upgraded AER 60) with no complaints. I also use a Tone DEQ often for a little tone tweaking and reverb, but not necessary for signal strength.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-10-2023, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I run K&K pups naked into a Udo daCapo 75. (An upgraded AER 60) with no complaints. I also use a Tone DEQ often for a little tone tweaking and reverb, but not necessary for signal strength.
Hi Dave…
You are right when you say 'not necessary for signal strength'. K&K are the hottest pickups right out of the box that I've ever used.

But unlike some, I'm pretty picky about my live sound not sounding 'artificially' assisted, so I've always (after the 2nd week in my first guitar with them) used decent preamps, and sometimes internal mics.

It really does boil down to personal preference, and ability to operate an acoustic with 'affected' tone. My ToneDexter has replaced my other preamps and internal mics (for the past 5 years).

I've played through AER both ways, and still preferred the preamp scenario best. I doubt the audience even knows or cares what I like.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-15-2023, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

I had a K&K in my Goodall Grand Concert, and I got my best tone running straight into my AER Compact 60/2... I had a K&K PURE XLR preamp, but it really didn't do much, if anything, not for me anyway... I also use a Bose T1 mixer/tone generator, both through the AER as well as my Bose L1 Model II, which has preamps for the inputs... never liked what I heard from that K&K pickup through that setup...

So, yes, your AER can sound great without any additional "preamping" - I'd suggest setting it up without anything else in the signal chain and see what you think. My Compact has a button/switch for active or passive pickups; I don't know what the latest incarnations have...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

When it comes to amplifying a K&K equipped acoustic, it all comes down to controlling feedback. As good as the K&K sounds at low volumes, my experience is that it needs to be plugged into pre amps and/or amps that allow you to dial out frequencies that aggravate the feedback gods. Low Pass Filters and shelving eq are great tools to have.

Proximity to the amp/PA is also a concern that must be negotiated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification