The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2023, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
…I don’t, however, like companies that stop support of devices as soon as they are replaced in the lineup with a newer version.
Hi s-58…
What constitutes a company 'stopping' support?
  • Is it when they stop carrying repair parts or service?
  • Is it when they stop helping resolve operating issues (helping people learn to operate the equipment)?
  • Is it when they do not return phone or email inquiries?

For me, just because a company after issuing multiple firmware updates/upgrades and the current versions and the units themselves are stable and perform as advertised, I'm not looking for any more updates. If they do provide ongoing updates, it's a bonus.

I've found most companies will answer email or phone inquiries and have furnished me repair service years after any warranty expired (at a cost to me), and to me that's to be expected. And I have the right to accept or decline their conditions.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-03-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Do any specific bugs spring to mind?
Of course not - his is a rhetorical issue.

Obsession with any and all potential bugs is a luxury businesses cannot afford.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-04-2023, 06:53 PM

I'm by no means someone who completely understands digital electronic devices, but from my perspective, the ToneDexter (version I) would not be hindered from lack of updates any more than a Boss Digital delay or reverb pedal. It's operation is not contingent on an outside software source, and the pedal could work indefinitely until hardware chips or whatever give out. Conversely, the LR Baggs Voiceprint is reliant on a smartphone, and lack of future support would likely make that pedal unusable.

Back to the delay in delivery of Tone Dexter ii, I'm bummed. These things happen, but I probably shouldn't have should my first ToneDexter in haste. I'm now sortof stuck using the Voiceprint for the time being.
2021 Iris DF Burst
2021 Taylor Big Baby
Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin P90
Seagull Walnut 12 EQ
Eastman MD505 Mandolin
Old 06-06-2023, 05:17 AM

James May used to check in here once in awhile, does he not anymore?
Old 06-07-2023, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

With what little I know about James, I feel pretty confident saying that if someone finds a bug or a problem with the original TD, he would do his utmost to issue a patch for it - but I don’t think you’ll see any great additional functionality upgrades, as he’s pretty much maxed out most of the memory and processing power of the hardware.

Thats why the TD2 is exciting - everything he learned with the original unit, plus all the feedback and requests for additional features he got for it, have been (mostly) either incorporated in the TD2, or he’s anticipated being able to potentially add them with the additional capabilities this new hardware has. What he’s designed, and the algorithms he’s created, have all been done with a view as far into the future as he can imagine (while working with the components that are available - and reliable - now).

It’s a shame that it’s not available sooner, but when it is, you’ll appreciate everything he’s putting into it, and his insistence that every component meet exacting specs -
Old 06-07-2023, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
James May used to check in here once in awhile, does he not anymore?
He does, but he’s also working incredibly hard, and usually only posts when he has specific facts, or something of value to add - I’m sure when he has one, or both, to offer, he’ll be posting it -
Old 06-09-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
He does, but he’s also working incredibly hard, and usually only posts when he has specific facts, or something of value to add - I’m sure when he has one, or both, to offer, he’ll be posting it -
Just asking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification