The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-30-2023, 04:25 PM

Default Bands vs Solo Artists

When asked to categorize favorite musicians and bands whether here on the AGF or other parts of social media do you tend to separate bands from solo artists?

I know I do.

Recently, when talking about favorite artists, I listed my top five solo artists as John Denver, Chris de Burgh, Gordon Lightfoot Barry Manilow and James Taylor.

But when it comes to bands I'm a huge Beatles fan and I tend to see them separately from solo artists. The Eagles are another favorite band of mine as well as Crosby Stills and Nash.

I Have a hard time categorizing duos or duets. I do mostly lump them in with the solo artist. For example The Carpenters and Seals and Crofts are my favorite duos. Although Karen Carpenter carried the bulk of the vocal work for that duo I sometimes lump her in as a solo artist even though she wasn't.

I'm curious how the rest of you categorize your favorite musicians.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I don’t really differentiate because it is the song as a whole that captures my interest and unless an unplugged solo performance, despite that a particular song may be promoted under a particular artist name, most often there is a supporting band that delivers the whole.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
When asked to categorize favorite musicians and bands whether here on the AGF or other parts of social media do you tend to separate bands from solo artists?

I know I do.

Recently, when talking about favorite artists, I listed my top five solo artists as John Denver, Chris de Burgh, Gordon Lightfoot Barry Manilow and James Taylor.

But when it comes to bands I'm a huge Beatles fan and I tend to see them separately from solo artists. The Eagles are another favorite band of mine as well as Crosby Stills and Nash.

I Have a hard time categorizing duos or duets. I do mostly lump them in with the solo artist. For example The Carpenters and Seals and Crofts are my favorite duos. Although Karen Carpenter carried the bulk of the vocal work for that duo I sometimes lump her in as a solo artist even though she wasn't.

I'm curious how the rest of you categorize your favorite musicians.
How do you categorize Bob Dylan?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-30-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I don’t really differentiate because it is the song as a whole that captures my interest and unless an unplugged solo performance, despite that a particular song may be promoted under a particular artist name, most often there is a supporting band that delivers the whole.
I do understand what you're saying.

What the issue for me is, I said I'm a huge Beatles fan and I'm also a huge fan of John Denver. From about 1977 until 1981 I just lived and breathe Beatles and nothing else.

From 1982 I became a huge John Denver fan and never looked back. What type of music I play mostly is the John Denver singer songwriter type of music with acoustic guitar as the main instrument. I also listen to John Denver more than I do to the Beatles.

However creatively musically I just think the Beatles were geniuses and in A League of Their own.

So it's possible that the Beatles and John Denver are tied as my favorite musicians
Old 05-30-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
How do you categorize Bob Dylan?
I view him as a solo singer songwriter. And a great one at that.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:21 PM

I don’t make that separation, even though it makes sense to do so.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I do understand what you're saying.

What the issue for me is, I said I'm a huge Beatles fan and I'm also a huge fan of John Denver. From about 1977 until 1981 I just lived and breathe Beatles and nothing else.

From 1982 I became a huge John Denver fan and never looked back. What type of music I play mostly is the John Denver singer songwriter type of music with acoustic guitar as the main instrument. I also listen to John Denver more than I do to the Beatles.

However creatively musically I just think the Beatles were geniuses and in A League of Their own.

So it's possible that the Beatles and John Denver are tied as my favorite musicians
There are bands like the Beatles, Eagles, where multiple songwriters and singers within the band produce works that quite differentiate them from the majority and kinda transcend the solo singer-songwriter. I mostly play s-s stuff.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
There are bands like the Beatles, Eagles, where multiple songwriters and singers within the band produce works that quite differentiate them from the majority and kinda transcend the solo singer-songwriter. I mostly play s-s stuff.
Those are some good points!
Old 05-30-2023, 07:48 PM

I tend to think of the artists whose music I enjoy as a single category without separating bands from solo artists, but within that broad grouping I separate songwriters from non-songwriters because that's my main musical interest.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-30-2023, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Many good points above. I don't believe I have a decided preference for one option or the other. And, just playing around here, I'm sorta stuck on the criteria anyway.

The Beatles were a band. And then they all made individual records.

Consider Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Brian Setzer Orchestra. Names with bands.

Then there are/were acts like Bonnie Raitt, Neil Young, David Bowie, Dave Mason, Joe Walsh, Jan Hammer, Al DiMeola. Saw them all with their bands but just one name on the marquee.

Perhaps Mr. Young also qualifies as a true-solo guy when he plays alone like Leo Kottke.

Not nit-picking here at all. Just having some fun and wondering if I maybe do have a preference and just don't know it.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-30-2023 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:17 AM

I don't distinguish between solo artists or bands. All that matters is whether I like the music.

I also think it's sometimes a false distinction. Is Elton John a solo artist? Bernie Taupin has never performed on stage, but Elton would not be the artist he is without Bernie's lyrics.

Pink Floyd were originally a "band" but it's generally accepted that The Final Cut was essentially a Roger Waters solo album.

I've always thought of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as the name of the band? Or is he a solo performer with a backing band?

A 'band' can be anything from a single creative force with what amounts to a backing band to a collaborative group of musicians that all have an input in creating the music.

Of course by definition, to be a singer songwriter you have to do the singing, but sometimes the distinction between 'solo artist' and 'band' is just a semantic one.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I identify each individual as a stand-alone entity. Even in bands. What would the Beatles have been without George Martin?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-31-2023, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Unless you’re on stage by yourself I don’t think of you as a solo artist…..many great solo artists appear with bands sometimes but the music is created by everyone on stage….so not a solo artist in that context…I don’t think Dylan has appeared or recorded as a solo artist since his very early days….so I don’t think of him as a solo artist anymore….many iconic players still swing both ways….
Old 05-31-2023, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I've never thought about it but I don't think I differentiate. It's a musical act, whether solo or a band.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes you never know what you're gonna get unless you're up to speed with who's on the marquee.

Late last century, I jumped on tickets to see Dave Mason, a band of 4-5 including Jim Capaldi (also from Traffic). As I expected, the show was electric, loud and invigorating. Outstanding concert by a great band.

Before attending, I had been ambivalent (at best) about the opening act, Al Stewart - famous for hits like Year of the Cat, Time Passages and On the Border. YMMV, but my taste leans toward more boisterous fare.

Surprise! Al Stewart tore the place up standing alone with his acoustic guitar. Charming, great story-teller between intensely refreshing acoustic takes on his songs and he was hilarious. Great solo artist!

Last edited by tinnitus; 06-01-2023 at 02:36 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic