The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-30-2023, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Default NMD - SE RNR1 Ribbon mic

I've been eying this Rupert Neves SE ribbon mic for a while, finally grabbed one and am trying it out. I need to do some side-by-sides, etc, but I first started just seeing how it worked in a stereo pair with a Schoeps SD. Here's 2 examples, first with the ribbon as the side mic in an MS pair, then as spaced pairs, with the SE on the lower bout, Schoeps on the neck side. I did a (very) little EQ to this, mostly boosting the highs on the ribbon slightly, and there's a touch of reverb.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:16 PM
Eric Skye

Very cool. I saved this on my desktop last night but didn’t actually listen until this morning. I didn’t re-read the text on purpose before listening and I forgot it was about a ribbon mic and was very surprised to read that it was after listening. I liked both, but the M/S a bit more. Probably because I’m on an M/S kick again right now, so it just sounds more right/solid to me image-wise. The second one sounded great too, but again from my current vantage point of M/S brain, there’s seemingly a whole lot of contrast between the two sides pulling things pretty wide. But I’m in cans here this morning. Very cool new mic boss

Last edited by min7b5; 05-31-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:17 PM

They both sound great Doug.Full and lovely top end...any chance you'll be doing a mono version with just the Ribbon? Pretty tune & playing.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I like the more spacious sound of the spaced pairs, but there's something disconcerting about it. I noticed the same thing when I used the Townsend mic and emulated ribbon on one side and condenser on the other. It sounded "interesting", but a little odd at the same time. I tried EQing the ribbon to balance that out a bit and it helped, but not enough. I tried a spaced pair with this mic and one of the AEA N22 ribbon's I have, and that seemed more balanced, but rather dark.

I've yet to try my usual combination, spaced condensers with the ribbon in the middle, so we'll see. I liked the MS sound, tho.

This mic is interesting. For one thing, it's the heaviest mic I've ever used - supposedly 2 lbs, but feels like a lot more. Posing a minor challenge for my mic stands. And it's pretty big. It's also very hot, has about the same output at the schoeps. Comparing it to the N22s, it's noticeably quieter, probably because I need far less preamp gain for it.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
They both sound great Doug.Full and lovely top end...any chance you'll be doing a mono version with just the Ribbon? Pretty tune & playing.
Yeah, I'll try to add a "shoot-out" in mono with my other ribbons. I sort of always think mono just sounds bad, so it's less interesting to me, but it will be useful for comparing the mic to some others and getting to know it.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I’m on an M/S kick again right now, so it just sounds more right/solid to me image-wise. The second one sounded great too, but again from my current vantage point of M/S brain, there’s seemingly a whole lot of contrast between the two sides pulling things pretty wide.
Totally Blown away by the silky smooth/ warm round sound that Rupert Ribbon seems to be imparting. Especially as M/S. I do not hear that with most other ribbons. The only other ribbon that gives that kind of smoothness is the RCA 44. And possibly your Ribbon might be doing even a better job. Very impressed.

Would love to have some comparisons of this same tune played with your standard setup. Cause right now.....
I am thinking this is one of the best sounds you have ever had! So very natural.

All the notes give me the feeling that they are of equal intensity? Not sure how to explain it exactly. With LDC's I notice that acoustic guitar is more round and fuller. And with SDC's the quick transients are captured. So I am hearing almost an LCD Tube effect going on here. But with that ribbon touch.

The Dynamics appear greater in the spaced pair. Seemingly not as even as in the Mid/Side. I assume that is because the Schoeps quick transients are more prominent. As where using the Ribbon as a mid side it has two channels to one of the Schoeps. However, it could be just the shock of listening to mid side directly followed by spaced pair. As the intensity seems greater the first few seconds...and then my ears adjust and it sounds more even and I get used to the spaced pair sound.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yeah, I'll try to add a "shoot-out" in mono with my other ribbons. I sort of always think mono just sounds bad, so it's less interesting to me, but it will be useful for comparing the mic to some others and getting to know it.
Oh yeah, of course. Stereo is more fun, no doubt especially for solo guitar unless you're going for something specific. I just meant as a reference just to compare it to something. Sounded great though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD