The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-28-2023, 07:45 PM

Default tuning peg question

Hi ,I recently purchased a Gibson L-OO standard acoustic . The low E tuning peg has some play in it before it catches the string to tune it. The other tuning pegs don't do this . As soon as I turn the pegs of the other strings it raises or lowers the pitch right away. I did tighten the screw on the back ,but it did nothing . Maybe it is the way I put the strings on...? any ideas ? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:20 AM

these are open peg tuners
Old 05-30-2023, 06:25 AM

I always install strings with at least 3 even wraps, no overlapping. 6th string maybe 2 wraps.

All those methods with overlaps and twisting the string around itself cause broken strings and lumpy tuning for me. Especially important if you have D tuners on a banjo and are tuning during a song.

Try removing your string and seeing if their is any play in your tuner post, check that the gear is screwed on tight and has no teeth chipped or missing and no wear on the worm.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:53 PM

Default a thought

New strings? I'd suspect the problem to be at the other end of the string: The ball might not be dead-solid-seated against the bridgeplate. Cranking on the tuning peg moves the string but doesn't tension it much.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:50 PM

the problem with the low E string tuning machine is ; the tuning peg ;when tuned down will freewheel about an eighth of a turn before it catchs .. I hope you guys get what I'm saying . Thanks
Old 06-06-2023, 09:57 PM

Default a thought

It sounds to me as if the E tuner is showing a bunch of excess clearamce between the gears. There's no 'freewheeling' possible, but that much of what I call 'deadband' seems way outside decent. It sounds to me like that tuner, and maybe its five close friends, needs to be retired. I can imagine that the E tuner will show more wear than the treble 'e'; it's got more work to do. Is this one tuner very much sloppier than the others, or do they all show some looseness but the E is the worst?

Is this a new guitar? If so, I think it's a legitimate complaint.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:10 AM

Is the knob loose on the shaft? This may help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9OEZwu8FUE&t=200s
Old 06-09-2023, 08:42 PM

Well I did call Gibson today . They are sending me new tuners for the EAD side. I also told them I had an issue with the pickup ,it would only amplify four strings well. Now they sending me a new pup! I already replaced it with a k&k but they insisted. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair