The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-30-2023, 08:51 AM

Default Strings for Yamaha CG-TA

Wanted to share strange experience I had with Yamaha CG-TA. First off I absolutely love CG-TA, after about a month of playing A string just exploded while siting on a stand. My first thought - no problem, just put on new strings, so I did put on EJ45C. However after that guitar started to sound like crap - totally hollow, no projection at all. After a week of struggle - managed to find original strings Yamaha GC-S10 and instantly guitar is back - great sound super playability. Just strange - will have to stock up on Yamaha strings ....
Old 05-30-2023, 01:35 PM

Welcome to the AGF.

I too have a Yamaha CG-TA. My experience with nylon strings has been that the fourth string ("D") is the weakest and under the hardest tension among the basses. I've had these snap at the midpoint while my guitars were hanging from the wall. Nothing unusual.

My preferred strings are:
  • Savarez 510MRP for standard tuning (all MEDIUM tension)
  • Savarez 510MRJP for alternate tunings (HARD tension basses paired with MEDIUM tension trebles)

These sets use a carbon 3rd string which, IMHO, makes it sound less "tubby".

Each player will have their own tonal preference. Each guitar will have its own qualities and may respond differently to strings. If the stock Yamaha strings work for you, feel free to stick with them.

Bear in mind too that some strings can take a while to settle-in. I try to give strings at least a week before passing judgement.

I'm not a fan of the D'Addario EJ45C but I know some players who will use only these strings.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:54 PM

Did you change all 6 strings? That might have been what's up. The Yamahas are hard tension trebles, medium basses. That D'Addairo set is all medium tension.

Going to sound and feel different, for sure...if your ears were accustomed to the Yamahas, it makes sense.

You could possibly also experiment with other sets that do similar things. Or you might even like a full set of hard tension strings...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical