The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-02-2023, 07:04 PM

Default Starting to get a weird hesitation in my strumming hand

I've been playing as an amateur for a long time. I mostly just play songs I can strum chords on. But lately I have been having a problem where I'm playing a song I know and suddenly my right hand just stops. It's just a second or maybe even a part of a second... but it really throws me off.

I never dealt with this before. Any advice? Most likely all of you have played more than me.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:04 AM
Charter Member

Just a thought:

You may be getting a bit of "confusion" between conscious and non-conscious skills. This may sound counter intuitive but next time it happens try to consciously replicate it. If you can consciously replicate the issue and break it down to what's actually happening you may have a better chance of "re-learning" a smooth non-conscious strumming style.

I find this happens with many aspects of playing. I can do something without thinking but if the slightest doubt comes into my mind, such as performance anxiety, I can mess up. I'll go back and break down the skill so that I can perform it both when thinking about it and when not thinking about it.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:30 AM

The first idea that came to my mind was « writer’s cramp »
though I have never heard about that among guitar players.
I am probably wrong…

I suggest you make some exercises (like the one Mark Hanson
suggest in his recent video about arrangements).
Old 06-03-2023, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I am probably wrong…

“Writer’s cramp” for a musician is called something different. That is why you haven’t heard of it.

It is called a “musicians dystonia” and can take many forms, but is essentially the same as writers cramp. Just different activities that trigger it.

To the OP, do you have any other symptoms? Like a bit of tremor? Does this “stopping” occurs in other activities (like walking)?
Old 06-03-2023, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Nothing I ever experienced. How old are you? Get a health check-up if this problem progresses.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-03-2023, 03:51 PM

As Jamolay posted, this is a thing for musicians.

I know of a few virtuoso musicians who have had to deal with this in order to save their careers.

Also known as focal dystonia or task-specific focal dystonia.

Your GP will probably not be able to assess this. Look for a neurologist, especially one who has worked with musicians.

Of course, it may be something else entirely - but the sudden loss of muscle response suggests a nerve issue.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-03-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Just a thought:

You may be getting a bit of "confusion" between conscious and non-conscious skills. This may sound counter intuitive but next time it happens try to consciously replicate it. If you can consciously replicate the issue and break it down to what's actually happening you may have a better chance of "re-learning" a smooth non-conscious strumming style.

I find this happens with many aspects of playing. I can do something without thinking but if the slightest doubt comes into my mind, such as performance anxiety, I can mess up. I'll go back and break down the skill so that I can perform it both when thinking about it and when not thinking about it.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I am probably wrong…

I'll look it up. I have not ever done any exercises, except learning songs. Thank you.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
“Writer’s cramp” for a musician is called something different. That is why you haven’t heard of it.

It is called a “musicians dystonia” and can take many forms, but is essentially the same as writers cramp. Just different activities that trigger it.

To the OP, do you have any other symptoms? Like a bit of tremor? Does this “stopping” occurs in other activities (like walking)?
I haven't noticed it except when playing. And I never had it happen before until the last couple of weeks. I've been playing on and off for like 30 years. I have not been in a band for about 15 years now, but I still play at home or open mics when I can. When it happens, it feels like my muscles tense up and then let go.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Nothing I ever experienced. How old are you? Get a health check-up if this problem progresses.
52 now. Thanks for your advice. Yes, if it starts getting worse, I'll certainly do that.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangebloom View Post
I've been playing as an amateur for a long time. I mostly just play songs I can strum chords on. But lately I have been having a problem where I'm playing a song I know and suddenly my right hand just stops. It's just a second or maybe even a part of a second... but it really throws me off.

I never dealt with this before. Any advice? Most likely all of you have played more than me.
Hello Strange,

Are you just getting back into playing? I've had this happen when I have taken a long break from playing and then getting back into it. I've found for me that as I start honing my chops back it goes away. Hopefully you work through it.

Regards,
Billy
Old 06-03-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
As Jamolay posted, this is a thing for musicians.

I know of a few virtuoso musicians who have had to deal with this in order to save their careers.

Also known as focal dystonia or task-specific focal dystonia.

Your GP will probably not be able to assess this. Look for a neurologist, especially one who has worked with musicians.

Of course, it may be something else entirely - but the sudden loss of muscle response suggests a nerve issue.
Thanks for your advice. Since I'm thinking of it, I can add it's happened on both my Yamaha dreadnought and on my super shallow Ovation Tangent. Anytime its happened has been when I have been strumming briskly. It was brief and didn't leave behind any residual soreness or anything. In a 4 minute song it might happen 2-3 times. The songs, I know well.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Hello Strange,

Are you just getting back into playing? I've had this happen when I have taken a long break from playing and then getting back into it. I've found for me that as I start honing my chops back it goes away. Hopefully you work through it.

Regards,
Billy
Thanks for your thoughts. It's possible too. I do go through busy periods because I have two children now. I didn't really consider that before because I can pick up a guitar and play these songs and I have known them for a long time, but perhaps the muscle memory isn't all caught back up yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write