The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-13-2023, 04:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Salz Guitars - Continuation in model expansion a 000 12 fret - Video demos update!

The people following me on Instagram might know, that recently I've made a poll. The poll was about wood choices for my newest model build. I've picked three pairings of tops with B/S. Redwood w Fenland black oak, Swiss moon spruce w Indian rosewood and Sitka spruce w European walnut.

It was a tight win for Redwood w Fenland black oak. followed by Moon spruce w EIR.

So I've made the most reasonable decision and started building two guitars at once. As a starting step I really like to prepare my neck blanks. I've had a piece of swietenia mahagony that has been waiting for his moment for quite some time.

I've managed to get four necks out of this blank. The offcuts were used to create two neck blocks.

Continuing with new design decisions the new standard rosette has been born. Moon crescent recycled paper with coffee grounds, bound in brass.

Some build techniques stay, because the results just speak for themselves. Such techniques as structured sides and live back

This model is supossed to be the small sized huge sound beast. So...falcate bracing it is.

This is in progress photo. There is still missing the transverse brace and carbon fibre topping on the braces.

Here is the completed inside right before gluing the back on. The keen-eyed amongst you might have noticed that I'm using a spanish heel style neck block. But the whole neck is going to be fully bolt-on bolt-off, another technique that has an incredible results for me and I'm sticking to it.

First look at the closed box, the vision is really taking shape now.

Oh yeah, there are two guitars, remember?

Last edited by Salz Guitars; 08-23-2023 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Next step it the most complicated binding I've ever done. So many mitres and weird BWB line channels. But the results are worth every extra hour that this threw at me.

The Fenland black oak is bound in Charles bridge bog oak. I've been using the veneer to laminate the insides and had some leftover pieces big enough to create my own binding.

The EIR one is bound in Crelicam ebony, this wood combo just works perfectly together.

Couldn't resist stacking them again. Love the rib bevels making the chamfered S.

That is for today all I've got. I'll be updating you on the progress.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Both guitars look awesome--beautiful lines!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-13-2023, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

That last shot in particular is really cool - sweetest yin and yang guitar pic I've seen.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:04 PM

Congrats, those look to be excellent builds to say the least!
Old 05-13-2023, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Yes per above. Beautiful work, very nice design choices - elegant without a lot of goo-gawing. That's a technical term, BTW

I am kind of fascinated with the whole bog oak phenomenon. We don't see the wood much here in the US, if at all? Great looking wood!
Old 05-13-2023, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

These are beautiful! I have a question about the front. The bevel is not where an arm will be, so is that just a decorative element?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:05 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Unique and interesting lines. Very nice!
Old 05-14-2023, 02:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you all for your kind words, I'm relly proud of these so your positive feedback is valuable to me.

Quote:
Yes per above. Beautiful work, very nice design choices - elegant without a lot of goo-gawing. That's a technical term, BTW

I am kind of fascinated with the whole bog oak phenomenon. We don't see the wood much here in the US, if at all? Great looking wood!
There has been a wawe of this exact spec in the past half year. I've seen Tom Sands made one and from then on it seems like it's everywhere. Oliver Marchant, Jason Kostal, Daniel Lukes (dglukes_luthier) all building with Fenland black oak over Redwood tops.

Quote:
These are beautiful! I have a question about the front. The bevel is not where an arm will be, so is that just a decorative element?
Yes, those are purely aesthetic, on the back It can be almost as a rib bevel, but that's to be unveiled
Old 05-14-2023, 06:09 AM

Beautiful work - can't wait to hear how they sound!

Is the carbon fiber inset into the bracing; if so, how did you do that after the fact? Just curious...

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 06-05-2023, 12:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

I wanted to share my progress from past weeks. The guitars are nearly approaching the stage where the woodwork is done (not quite yet, but it's getting there). This is the stage when it all starts to come together.
The bodies got fitted with necks and there's not much left to do on the bodies...well there's sanding, but there's always sanding.

I wanted to share this picture from the workshop, because i just love it. My dog, Ginkgo, completely exhausted from doing nothing for half of the day. "Helping" me at work by lying in the way of me working.

Anyway, I've thrown all of my modern aesthetics at this model. I've always loved slotted headstocks, but after seeing multiple builders doing the open style I knew I wanted to put my spin on that.

My router bit is a little bit worn out so I've used my handplane to remove most of the material. These were some spectacular shavings..so I had to take a picture, I just had to.

See, I need a sharper router bit, It is mostly clean, but I'm used to much cleaner results.

Tuner holes done and the inner part was routed as well. Some chisel work left to do.

There's the vision finally coming together.

I need to add a little bit of a twist to the headstocks. Maybe you can see I routed into the CF rods in the IRW one. That was unplanned and I want to hide that. Lesson learned, but everytime I manage to "mess" something up, I'm over the moon with the "cover-up". My plan is to firstly bevel the bottom part of the headstock (where strings might interfere) and then veneer the inside to cover the CF rods.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Beautiful work - can't wait to hear how they sound!

Is the carbon fiber inset into the bracing; if so, how did you do that after the fact? Just curious...
The bracing is sitting on a CF tow and it is capped with it as well.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

I got a little update with the end of this week. I didn't get as much shop time as I would like, so there has not been as big of a progress as I would like.

Hoewer I managed to "fix" my little brain fart that led to the showing of CF in the headstock and I'm quite fond of the result. Right form the start I was considering veneering the inside and that's exactly what I ended up doing. The overall look made the headstock visually slimmer and stealthier and in my opinnion that works superbly with the overall design.

Enough said, here are some progress photos.

First is the idea finally comming together, the first time all of the lines I've had on paper finally materializing in the real world.

And a closeup of the "improved" headstock. It's still a work in progress, missing the bevels on the outside edge and a little signature headstock detail.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've been quiet for the past month and for a good reason. My wedding is getting closer so I've been powering through the builds to have them done beffore the big day.

Both instruments are now done, being photographed and today will be the first recording session of two. I can't wait to get all the photos and videos done so I can share them with you.

Meanwhile one of the guitars had a little trip to Slovakia where it has been tested by none other than Gerry Leonard. (All of this was possible thanks to Karel Holas of the band Čechomor pictured on the left)

Unfortunately I couldn't be there in person to hear him play but I've gotten a lovely feedback from Gerry afterwards.

Quote:
I was impressed with your combination of very old and seasoned woods with a very modern and distinctive design. Often when people change the guitar design it just becomes awkward and uncomfortable but your design was very comfortable and playable. I love your attention to detail.

The guitar sounded balanced and open. Well suited to solo guitar pieces with a strong treble and body in the upper registers.
The low end was also crisp and detailed and took to drop D and DADGAD tunings without becoming muddy.

Overall I had a wonderful time with your very special instrument.

Gerry Leonard
Old 07-22-2023, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

This is the moment I've been waiting for. The professional photoslook absolutely insane (in my "humble and neutral" oppinion). Youtube videos and sound samples comming soon, they are currently being edited.

Both instruments are now available for sale. If you like what you see, contact me through e-mail ([email protected]), private message here at AGF or instagram @salz_guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop