The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-11-2023, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Jimmy Foster Basin Street Thinline Archtop completed by BurkeGuitar.com

We have just finished this beautiful Jimmy Foster Basin Street Edition Archtop. When we saw the unfinished body, neck and other items available for sale from Mr. Foster’s estate, we immediately did some research and discovered how Mr. Foster made beautiful looking and sounding instruments that were treasured by their owners. His website is still available to see his work and read about his superior playing talents and guitar building skills. (www.fosterguitars.com)

We purchased these parts with the goal of completing Jimmy’s work and finishing his creation. We have done that, and this great guitar is available. It is likely the last “New” Jimmy Foster Archtop to ever be on the market.

The guitar has great volume unplugged, plays very smooth and has significant sustain. It produces a full acoustic sound while offering the comfort given by its’ compact design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foster Basin.jpg (40.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 05-11-2023, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Ah, I see now why you asked what the value of my Jimmy Foster 7 string is. You want to put this one up for sale. I don't know that Jimmy Foster is well known around here. You and my friend David Eastwood are the only respondents in my thread, so I wouldn't expect much interest.

My suggestion is that you post in the jazz guitar forum where folks know of, and have great respect for, Jimmy Foster both as a builder of fine archtops and as a player.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-11-2023, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info. I wish I could have met Jimmy and talked to him about this fun and interesting project we undertook
Old 05-11-2023, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Here are a couple of examples of Jimmy's chord melody 7 string work:

He has a 7 part video series on making an archtop guitar that you can find on his channel. Here is a link for the first video of the series:

Here is his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@jazzguitarmaker

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops