The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-28-2023, 07:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks very much for your comments and observations ian
Old 05-29-2023, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Smile Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
John,

While I love looking at the B/S wood for it’s beautiful colours and grain and the lovely intricacies of the bindings, headplate and rosette, the icing on the cake for me is when I see a top set like this one here. The lovely silking, a nice amount of variation in the colouration, and the evenness across the seam is outstanding IMO. Well done sir !
IBKuz is right! Wow

And, what the pics can not show is the SOUND! Which will be sublime indeed, if all the many JKs I have played are any indication…
John’s instruments continue to get even BETTER, as he continues to refine his builds.

I am officially jealous. Hahah

Mike, congratulations! Play this in fantastic health and spirits

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-29-2023, 12:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
John,

While I love looking at the B/S wood for it’s beautiful colours and grain and the lovely intricacies of the bindings, headplate and rosette, the icing on the cake for me is when I see a top set like this one here. The lovely silking, a nice amount of variation in the colouration, and the evenness across the seam is outstanding IMO. Well done sir !

Thank you IBKuxz.
Adirondack of this quality does not come cheap. It's worth the expense in this case. Very responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
IBKuz is right! Wow

And, what the pics can not show is the SOUND! Which will be sublime indeed, if all the many JKs I have played are any indication…
John’s instruments continue to get even BETTER, as he continues to refine his builds.

I am officially jealous. Hahah

Mike, congratulations! Play this in fantastic health and spirits

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul. Don't be jealous, just get in line.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:50 PM

what a truly gorgeous guitar John! And congratulations Woody- you will be playing such a special instrument. This is truly beautiful and I've played John's guitars and the tone is always so special. I'm sure this one will be played plenty!!!

beth
Old 05-29-2023, 02:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainguitar View Post
what a truly gorgeous guitar John! And congratulations Woody- you will be playing such a special instrument. This is truly beautiful and I've played John's guitars and the tone is always so special. I'm sure this one will be played plenty!!!

beth
Thank you so much Beth. Your approval is special.

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 05-30-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:27 AM

Congratulations John. I knew that when you and Mike put your heads together, a beautiful guitar was sure to follow. But this build still pleasantly surprised me when I saw it finished. From the head stock to the tail, l love it all.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTS View Post
Congratulations John. I knew that when you and Mike put your heads together, a beautiful guitar was sure to follow. But this build still pleasantly surprised me when I saw it finished. From the head stock to the tail, l love it all.
Thanks very much NTS. I do appreciate your comments
Old 05-30-2023, 05:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

That turned out great! One question: I didn’t catch what wood you used on the headstock. Looks to be a burl, yes? More Amboyna?

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-30-2023, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

That's a beautiful guitar!
Old 05-30-2023, 08:00 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTS View Post
Thanks NTS and all who have made such kind comments. I’m looking forward to playing this one. John has told me so much about Honduran and what a great guitar it makes. He was gushing about this Adi as well and I took it all hook line and sinker. As usual John has gone above and beyond with little “one off” touches like the custom purfling around the top. What beautiful work he did on this one. And tonally he tells me it is “loud with sweet tone”. Yummy!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 05-30-2023, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Simply spectacular!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-30-2023, 08:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
That turned out great! One question: I didn’t catch what wood you used on the headstock. Looks to be a burl, yes? More Amboyna?
Thank you bro. Yes indeed, more amboyna on the headstock. I bought some knife handle scales off eBay ans split one side for the headstock and split the other scale to make burl for the rosette and back inlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
That's a beautiful guitar!
Thanks teleplucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Thanks NTS and all who have made such kind comments. I’m looking forward to playing this one. John has told me so much about Honduran and what a great guitar it makes. He was gushing about this Adi as well and I took it all hook line and sinker. As usual John has gone above and beyond with little “one off” touches like the custom purfling around the top. What beautiful work he did on this one. And tonally he tells me it is “loud with sweet tone”. Yummy!!
Thanks Mike. I think you will like the sound as well as the looks
Old 06-22-2023, 04:51 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

John, I've had time to sit down with this new one a few times, albeit I've been really busy with business and Golf and as such haven't taken time to get back with you. All that said, I honestly think this is one of the best guitars you've built for me in terms of matching my playing style with a guitar and satisfying ALL the requirements of a great guitar. It is solid on the low end and equally pretty in the upper register. It has a crisp dry "reverby" sound that I really like and plays and sounds like a guitar much more mature than its age. I am more of a fingerstyle player than anything else but this guitar sounds really rich strummed…which I’ve found is uncommon for most guitars of this size. It sounds really great in DADGAD too which is an extra bonus. And the setup is really good too. Bottom line is I think you did an awesome job with it and I'm very happy and I plan to keep this one a long time.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 06-22-2023, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
John, ... I honestly think this is one of the best guitars you've built for me in terms of matching my playing style with a guitar and satisfying ALL the requirements of a great guitar. Bottom line is I think you did an awesome job with it...I'm very happy and I plan to keep this one a long time.
Mike, congratulations on your latest build from John Kinnaird. It's a beauty and I'm glad to hear that it ticks all the boxes for you. Play it in good health my friend!
Old 06-22-2023, 02:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
John, I've had time to sit down with this new one a few times, albeit I've been really busy with business and Golf and as such haven't taken time to get back with you. All that said, I honestly think this is one of the best guitars you've built for me in terms of matching my playing style with a guitar and satisfying ALL the requirements of a great guitar. It is solid on the low end and equally pretty in the upper register. It has a crisp dry "reverby" sound that I really like and plays and sounds like a guitar much more mature than its age. I am more of a fingerstyle player than anything else but this guitar sounds really rich strummed…which I’ve found is uncommon for most guitars of this size. It sounds really great in DADGAD too which is an extra bonus. And the setup is really good too. Bottom line is I think you did an awesome job with it and I'm very happy and I plan to keep this one a long time.
Very glad you like it Mike. Thanks for the good report card.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop