The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-08-2023, 01:45 PM

Reviving this thread because today's (6/8/2023) Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day is this Pearl Tennessee Spirits Crate Style Cajon. Pearl is a maker of drum equipment, so they should know what they're building. $79.99 takes one home!

Description: The body of this Pearl Primero cajon is constructed using Shorea plywood with a crate-style design featuring a meranti faceplate. Meranti is a wood known for its relative hardness and straight grain, making it ideal for cajons. A built-in bass port magnifies the massive low-end tone of the cajon, while two sets of fixed snare wires provide a bright, crisp snare response.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I missed this post when first made. Did you get that cajon? I have a Meinl Snarecraft Series that has a pickup if you want to plug in (really needs a DI to boost it, though). I added a Heck-Stick to it, to give a hi-hat or tambourine "jingle." I have a full e-drum set (that stays in my home studio), but the cajon is so easy to use when getting together with friends... and with a couple minutes of instruction, anyone with a sense of rhythm can play it.

I've had mine for a couple years, and tried out all the major players when I was looking. As I recall, the Pearl cajons I tried were just fine.

Guitar is my main instrument. I add some bass, keyboard, and drums when recording, and have used the cajon on occasion; but generally use it when having some fun with friends... one hand carry in!
Old 06-20-2023, 06:06 PM

Have you considered something like this:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...ail-cajon-kit/

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-21-2023 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Hi, as an exdrummer, I would counsel trying to find a percussionist, or someone with experience of percs and maybe doubles with another instrument.

Caution: Many people think that playing percussion is easy and cause more problems than they solve - think maracas, bohdran etc. It requires good timing, an understanding of rhythm dynamics, .... and taste.

Caution: Someone who just plays the Cajon might not be an asset for all of your numbers.

btw - "cajon" Spanish for .... "box" originated in Peru, and slaves used old fish boxes.

p.s. I built my own ... suonded good, but never used it - it's up in the attic somewhere.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Caution: Many people think that playing percussion is easy and cause more problems than they solve - think maracas, bohdran etc. It requires good timing, an understanding of rhythm dynamics, .... and taste.
For some reason, cajon has become a popular instrument for those who are not rhythmically gifted. I see it at open mikes and signer-songwriter showcases all the time.

Even though I am an advanced guitarist, and can play challenging rhythms on my instrument, when I attempt to play rhythms on percussion instruments, it is not a pretty sight (or sound).
I realized that I have not put in the time to attain the same precision I have when plucking a note on guitar.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-08-2023, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, as an exdrummer, I would counsel trying to find a percussionist, or someone with experience of percs and maybe doubles with another instrument.

Caution: Someone who just plays the Cajon might not be an asset for all of your numbers.

btw - "cajon" Spanish for .... "box" originated in Peru, and slaves used old fish boxes.

p.s. I built my own ... suonded good, but never used it - it's up in the attic somewhere.
Silly M is absolutely correct, once again. The drummer/Percussionist should hopefully have the best meter of the band.
And should be in charge of Setting the pace, unless the singer or lead instrument wants to speed up or slow down.
Then once everyone is on the same pace again, try to stay there! Hahaha

Have fun with the rhythm thing!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-08-2023, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

How do you know if a Cajon player is at your door ? The knocking sppeds up, and when you open up, he doesn't know when to come in.
Tada! (I'll see myself out)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments