The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Ok, so this just got a heck of a lot easier. A/B it with your Taylors and if you like it more, sell them! End of thread...
Have to agree. Have fun. Play the guitar. Don't make any hasty decisions you'll regret.

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 AM

Ive been thinking about this a lot lately. Honestly, Collings and taylor are a lot more alike than most people think. They are both factory built guitars with bolt on necks that rely heavily on technology (bob taylor isn't the only guitar maker with a CNC machine). Construction wise, collings has a more traditional look and uses a nitro finish and taylor doesn't. And I'm pretty sure there is a bit more handwork on the collings. Everything else is just marketing. And volume. Taylor definitely makes more guitars, but that's neither good or bad, it just is what it is.

That being said, I've played several collings and several Taylor's. I almost bought a d2h a couple weeks ago. It was a nice guitar. I just picked up a 98 814c. It's also a nice guitar. Sounds a lot like the d2h did. My point is, just because one is a collings and costs a lot more doesn't necessarily mean its a better instrument.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Ok, so this just got a heck of a lot easier. A/B it with your Taylors and if you like it more, sell them! End of thread...
I guess my concern is that would it be really be worth it to invest that much (two brazilian Taylor's and some cash) for one super nice Collings. Obviously I'll a/b them and play them all a lot while deciding, but (and I hope I'm not alone here) - sometimes the 'new-ness' of a guitar - especially one of that caliber - could possibly deceive the ears.

Anyways - I appreciate all the feedback. I think for the time being, ill probably just keep both my Taylor's for a while.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiproop View Post
....sometimes the 'new-ness' of a guitar - especially one of that caliber - could possibly deceive the ears.
My thoughts EXACTLY which is why I said, "Don't make any hasty decisions you'll regret."

New guitar, new sound, new feel..... it's all very intoxicating!!

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"
Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Jessie-

You may think $8K sounds a little steep for a Collings, but I would suggest that the one you sold for $6K in 2 hours was stupendously underpriced.

Best-

John
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 AM

I prefer Collings by a long shot. However, there is one Taylor I really like and that's the 12-fret, slotted headstock, grand concert model, no cutaway, no electronics. if I was buying a Taylor that would be the guitar I would buy. and in fact, I serious considered it.

the guitar comes in either indian rosewood with a spruce top or mahogany with a cedar top. I think I have seen a few with a mahogany top and maybe a few maple ones too. I have not seen and looked for a mahogany body with a spruce top. that would be the one that would have made me pull out my check book.

that said, I vastly prefer Collings guitars and own two.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor/Collings

Apples to oranges.................
Taylors are fine guitars, but Collings are superior guitars.
Trading two guitars for one doesn't seem equitable, no matter what brands
Never, never purchase a high end guitar without playing
IMHO
Old 08-17-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiproop View Post
@TominVegas - ... To be honest, I swore to the wife the one-in-one-out rule because of my current guitar collection. ....)
Bad idea!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
brazilian, collings, taylor