The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
James told me they were moving to a small town called Crossville, about 90 minutes from Nashville.

I told him he needed to learn to "swallow" his "L's" if he wanted to fit in back there!!!

For a Southern California surfer, he's gonna be a LONG way from the ocean...
Crossville is right on I-40 on the way into Nashville. I have a trip planned this September. Maybe they will be there by then. I would love to take my '84 RS by and compare it to the newest models side by side.

Last year on my trip to Nashville I played several new Goodalls at Carter's. My own guitar was back at the hotel so I couldn't swap back and forth, but I would say the sonic signature is largely unchanged in 40 years. An incredible feat.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 05-16-2023, 10:30 PM

Stopped by the Goodall shop and brought my guitar for a setup. Everybody on the team is super warm and talented. Amazing craftsmen through and through.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Great looking ES you have there!! I bet it sounds just wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
Stopped by the Goodall shop and brought my guitar for a setup. Everybody on the team is super warm and talented. Amazing craftsmen through and through.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-22-2023, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Great thread, Bobby! I feel exactly the same way about Goodall guitars. I currenlty have 3 Ft. Bragg Goodalls (you’re obviously very familiar with one of them) and two from the Hawaii days and I’ve probably owned 15-20 of them since 2003 (when I first played them at Buffalo Bros). They are pretty hard to beat if you are into an overtone rich sound with lots of complexity.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:30 AM

There used to be a local store that carried Goodalls, and had a rather large selection of them too - I would say at least a dozen. All of them were very well made guitars, definitely top tier in craftsmanship. In my opinion they are top tier even among smaller builders.

There have been a handful of guitars that I have played and absolutely loved the sound, and one of them was one of those Goodalls in that store.
In the hunt for a #3
Old 06-03-2023, 11:23 AM

Crossville?!! Heck, yeah! I'm just an hour away from there. Looks like I'll FINALLY get my hands on a Goodall! Great news
Old 06-08-2023, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Ooooh, Im in Nor Cal and thinking if buying my first Goodall. So youre saying i could take it to them and say hi!? Thats wicked cool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post

Lowden S-50W
Old 06-08-2023, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Cool Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
Ooooh, Im in Nor Cal and thinking if buying my first Goodall. So youre saying i could take it to them and say hi!? Thats wicked cool!!!
You certainly could! Call first and make sure it's a good time, and that they know you're coming. Especially if you want James or Luke to check out your guitar and tweak it at all...

I spoke with James just the other day, and they have not found a buyer for either the shop or their home as of yet... and James told me they'd be building guitars right up until it's time to move.

I'm really hoping that I get in good enough shape to go visit them before they move... both to see them and have them go through my Concert Jumbo!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-08-2023, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I've heard the rumor that the Hawaii era Instruments aren't as consistently special as the Cali ones... is there any truth to this?
Old 06-11-2023, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I've played about 80-90 Goodall guitars and owned over 60. I will say the California ones to me seem like they are a bit lighter built instruments and they have been slightly more consistently incredible. That being said I've played 50+ Hawaiian made ones that were also incredible instruments in every way!! Some of the less than stellar ones I've handled have been more from bad setups and instruments in need of repair. Even though some have felt heavier they have still been quite good!

Some of the stand out HI models have been made with Brazilian or Madagascar Rosewood which I find interesting! I had a 2007 TRLD in Red Spruce and Madagascar Rosewood that was really special and a 2005 CJC in Madagascar German Spruce.

Also I have absolutely loved all the Redwood topped Goodall guitars I've played no matter where they were made!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @lagatrix View Post
I've heard the rumor that the Hawaii era Instruments aren't as consistently special as the Cali ones... is there any truth to this?

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-13-2023, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I've played about 80-90 Goodall guitars and owned over 60. I will say the California ones to me seem like they are a bit lighter built instruments and they have been slightly more consistently incredible. That being said I've played 50+ Hawaiian made ones that were also incredible instruments in every way!! Some of the less than stellar ones I've handled have been more from bad setups and instruments in need of repair. Even though some have felt heavier they have still been quite good!

Some of the stand out HI models have been made with Brazilian or Madagascar Rosewood which I find interesting! I had a 2007 TRLD in Red Spruce and Madagascar Rosewood that was really special and a 2005 CJC in Madagascar German Spruce.

Also I have absolutely loved all the Redwood topped Goodall guitars I've played no matter where they were made!!
Thanks for this, super informative!
Old 06-13-2023, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

A total of Six Goodalls have past thru my hands over the years. I currently have the 2006 TR000 all Mahogany that i bought new from Madison Music in the day. I also have a Rosewood GC in the stable. Per Bobbies comment…i wasnt in love with the GC initially…but it came strung with 10’s…a quick trip to my luthier for a setup with 12’s and it leapt to life. The one i wish i had back is the Redwood Rosewood standard that i traded to Bobby a few years back. Used prices have gone a bit crazy in my opinion…but im always on the lookout for a well priced Goodall.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion