The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-07-2023, 09:20 AM

Default Electro-Voice Evolve 30m Battery Power

I may be playing a gig where AC power is not available. Has anyone used a battery to power their Evolve 30m, and if so, what kind of battery? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2023, 05:27 PM

Amazon GrantMaya 300 watts $200. Runs it with no problemhttps://www.amazon.com/Portable-300Watts-Generator-Traveling-Emergency/dp/B0787SHJ21/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1M2OC0WL7VCYS&keywords=grantmaya&q id=1686180426&sprefix=grantmay%2Caps%2C2915&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0
Old 06-15-2023, 06:57 AM

For a little more than the battery power supply you could buy a small inverter generator like the Wen or a small Predator from Harbor Freight and have something more substantial
Old 06-15-2023, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Amazon GrantMaya 300 watts $200. Runs it with no problemhttps://www.amazon.com/Portable-300Watts-Generator-Traveling-Emergency/dp/B0787SHJ21/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1M2OC0WL7VCYS&keywords=grantmaya&q id=1686180426&sprefix=grantmay%2Caps%2C2915&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0
Is that enough for a three-hour gig with the 30m?

Personally I'd be more comfortable with a Jackery, Anker, etc., for quality control and reliability. But that may just be because I've never heard of that company before.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Is that enough for a three-hour gig with the 30m?

Personally I'd be more comfortable with a Jackery, Anker, etc., for quality control and reliability. But that may just be because I've never heard of that company before.
I’m pretty sure the difference is this one isn’t lithium ion it’s a new battery that is less heat problematic and such.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
I’m pretty sure the difference is this one isn’t lithium ion it’s a new battery that is less heat problematic and such.
Thanks Zack. The product description mentions "lithium metal" which is not a term I'm familiar with, not that I'm an expert. Other times it just says lithium.

The Jackery units are lithium-ion. These are well established now and though technically can be a fire risk I haven't read about any of those blowing up. The Ankers use a relatively new tech called Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4). Is "lithium metal" that, who knows. Its advantage is supposed to be a dramatically longer recharge cycle lifetime. They are apparently a little heavier per watt, and supposed to be safer. I'm about to buy one myself. The lithium ions must have some other advantage because Jackery and others keep making them.

The linked unit may be fine for all I know, I just personally wouldn't plug my own 30m into something made by a company I'm not familiar with.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

For the OP, here's a comment from the Evolve FB group:

I've tried a few different brands and Jackery is (by far) my favorite. I use one for Ceremonies and even the little 240 or 300 does the job. For an Evolve 50 to go 3 hours, the 300 MIGHT work, but the 500 would for sure.

That's from last year I think, certainly others use other systems.

It's not cheap, the 500 is $499. The 300 is $279. That's what I'm seeing on the Jackery site, which is a clownshow of marketing so I won't try to link it right now.

Another name in addition to Anker and Jackery is Bluetti. I see they're using LiFePO4 also.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:18 AM

If the person I think did posted this, she made a video demonstrating getting like 12 and 7 hours from the 500 at peak volume from the 30 and 50. Both use the same amount of power, so the thing that’ll kill the battery faster on the 50 is sub bass. Theoretically that wouldn’t be a problem with guitar and vocal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
For the OP, here's a comment from the Evolve FB group:

I've tried a few different brands and Jackery is (by far) my favorite. I use one for Ceremonies and even the little 240 or 300 does the job. For an Evolve 50 to go 3 hours, the 300 MIGHT work, but the 500 would for sure.

That's from last year I think, certainly others use other systems.

It's not cheap, the 500 is $499. The 300 is $279. That's what I'm seeing on the Jackery site, which is a clownshow of marketing so I won't try to link it right now.

Another name in addition to Anker and Jackery is Bluetti. I see they're using LiFePO4 also.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:06 AM

This caught my attention because the whole reason I found and joined the AGF several years ago was a Google search for an inverter to power my Carvin AG300.

I ultimately built a power supply using a standard deep cycle flooded lead acid battery (small motorcycle size, not full size automotive battery) and a Cotek 200 W pure wine wave inverter. I sized everything by running an instrument and mic through my amp at full outdoor performance volume and noting the AC current draw with a clamp-on ammeter.

Note that a 200 watt inverter is fully capable of powering a "300 watt" amplifier. That's because audio amp makers don't always use a consistent standard in the ads and tech literature. There's a lot of fiction and fantasy and real world variation concerning the power consumption of an amp vs the power heard through the speakers. That's why I recommend measuring your actual current draw at stage volume vs mfrs stated power.

Knowing that 120 VAC is 10 x 12 VDC, and oversimplifying things like hysteresis loss, inverter efficiency and power factors you can assume that a 12 volt battery will have to supply approximately 10 times the current that an AC outlet did to provide an equivalent power level.

My setup will run my Carvin for about 7 hours before I need to recharge the battery.

Now the lithium based batteries and portable non-generator power supplies are much more readily available. If I were shopping today I would still do a real world measurement of the Evolve 30m's actual AC current draw at stage volume to see what your specific requirements are. Then you convert that to the DC equivalent current that your power supply needs to provide. Multiply that by the number of hours you want to be able to play before recharging and you have the amp-hours needed.

That's how RV and marine batteries are spec'ed - by amp-hours vs watts. You can buy "400 watt" inverters at an automotive store that plug in to a 12 VDC outlet, but how long it will provide that power depends on the battery.

The GrantMaya Portable Power Station linked earlier states "300W 220Wh". I'm assuming the "220 Wh" means 220 watt-hours. So IF you know what current your Evolve 30m draws when plugged into a 120 V receptacle, you can multiply that current by 120 V to get apparent power (VA) which is close enough to true power (watts) for this purpose. Divide 220 by the product of 120 x actual current and you'll have an idea of how long it may power your Evolve 30m.

Last edited by Mandobart; 06-20-2023 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:09 AM

If you are going to spend $500 for a 500 watt Jackery, I would rather get the EcoFlow Pro 600 watts. What makes the EcoFlow different than all others is it charges from 0-80% in one hour! Plus it has an App.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...987TZWZR&psc=1

This will probably run the EV30 for 6+ hours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification