The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-24-2023, 02:03 PM

Default Question about tuners/measuring

OK..go easy, I am a total noon in the repair world.

I have one of those 'magic beater' guitars that everyone loves in spite of it's cosmetics and so forth..it's a Morgan Monroe OM model.

When I got it it had a hodge podge of mixed tuners on it. Some are those greenish tulip types like on Gibsons and some are open gear types like on Martins.
One of the Tulips finally disintegrated from playing and age...The plastic just fell off.

I took a spare tuner out of a parts jar we have that had the same tulip (it is actually from a real gibson that died)....and THAT was when I realized that it is a totally different size tuner... the Morgans are smaller and the rout for their shank stops and gets skinnier right before the face plate...

So.. how do I measure the tuner, or is there a universal size for acoustics?

I don't mind buying an inexpensive set as this guitar is loved.... but I want to make sure I am ordering the right ones.

thanks for any info
Old 05-24-2023, 06:20 PM

Original Gibson tuners made by Kluson (Kluson Deluxe) have 1/4" shafts. Most Asian tuners are metric, with the smaller 6mm shafts.
The other main tuner type has an enclosed cast body, with a threaded collar through the peghead. Those mostly require a 10mm hole in the peghead.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Original Gibson tuners made by Kluson (Kluson Deluxe) have 1/4" shafts. Most Asian tuners are metric, with the smaller 6mm shafts.
The other main tuner type has an enclosed cast body, with a threaded collar through the peghead. Those mostly require a 10mm hole in the peghead.
I don't know if these are Klusons..they just say "Gibson Deluxe" on the back and have a 'PW' stamped on the inside...came off an SG I believe. The reason they don't go through is the machined housing on the back stops long before the tuner can seat.

I don't have my metric stick around but the one that needs to go has a 6mm (light quarter inch) shaft the whole way with a collar....the hole was drilled counter sunk so the remaining wood, so I believe I must need the 6mm guys, BUT now that I look, this is a closed cast piece...but the shaft is 6mm/.24 inches......

recommendations?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair