The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-05-2023, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Tune by ear almost always. Tune specific compromises exist based partly on chords used. Tuners don't get that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-06-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Tune by ear almost always. Tune specific compromises exist based partly on chords used. Tuners don't get that.
I just assumed that was a given. I've never met a tuner that can handle everything straight out of the box. Still, some are much more effective than others, so I lean toward specific tuners. As I mentioned, the Peterson first as it's most likely to get me closest despite its slow, demanding nature, followed by the T.C., especially if it's not a critical recording scenario. However, both need adjustment depending on the day, the humidity and the song's key, etc.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:37 AM

I used to tune to an "A" fork, tuned the "A" string and then did the rest by ear. Then one time I was trying to tune my classical back stage in a noisy environment, 20-30 people all talking, etc. Fortunately, one of the choir singers had an electronic tuner in her purse. After that, I tried a bunch of different tuners and with every one I had to tweak the tuning to match my ear. Until I tried a Petersen Stroboflip and now Stroboclip, matched my ears perfectly!
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I just assumed that was a given. I've never met a tuner that can handle everything straight out of the box. Still, some are much more effective than others, so I lean toward specific tuners. As I mentioned, the Peterson first as it's most likely to get me closest despite its slow, demanding nature, followed by the T.C., especially if it's not a critical recording scenario. However, both need adjustment depending on the day, the humidity and the song's key, etc.
Yes, let's make it clear it is a given.

For many years I just used a 440 tuning fork to get started. Now have been using that or a Polytune (again to get started). After you tune up the pitch of some
string it's pitch will change due to changes in guitar neck tension as you tune up other strings. Therefore you have to tweak pitches of the different strings as you
go alone. I'm most particular of course about this when setting up to record something.

One interesting thing you can notice with Polytune or similar (or just your ears actually) is how the pitch of a vibrating string changes as a note played on it fades out.
Pitch goes up eventually when fade out progresses far enough.

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-07-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Pitch goes up eventually when fade out progresses far enough.
Of course it does. The vibration of an open string dies at the ends first and the center last. So the vibrating part of the string gets shorter and the pitch goes up. Meaning the tuner reading right when you strike the note is more relevant to your playing than the reading half a second later.

Couch Standards
Old 07-07-2023, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Of course it does. The vibration of an open string dies at the ends first and the center last. So the vibrating part of the string gets shorter and the pitch goes up. Meaning the tuner reading right when you strike the note is more relevant to your playing than the reading half a second later.
Most markedly near the end of fade out. Until then not much. It's partly what you said and partly a change in the balance of overtones.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agreed, but not always possible in a live set up context. My 40+ year old Justina ZenOn tuner was a game changer for me when playing in loud bars many years ago. For the first time I didn't need to hear my guitar to tune it, as this often wasn't possible before plugging in to the PA. It remains my favorite tuner though the one on my Shure wireless system works pretty well live.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
This was fascinating to read. I’ve never thought about it this way.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 07-07-2023, 01:16 PM

This is all very interesting (that's not sarcasm) but what's the bottom line for getting in tune and playing something? I do not have time to master all of the material that has been posted before the next time I plan to play my guitar, in an hour or so.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
This is all very interesting (that's not sarcasm) but what's the bottom line for getting in tune and playing something? I do not have time to master all of the material that has been posted before the next time I plan to play my guitar, in an hour or so.
Lately, if I'm in a loud spot, can't hear and have to eyeball my tuning, I use my Peterson, set it to the "GTR" sweetened tuning, play bunches of short notes. Or if I only have a Snark, do the same thing and then dip the B string a little.

For me, a bunch of short notes versus one long one seems to matter a lot.

Couch Standards
Old 07-07-2023, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

The variation in pitch with volume is part of inharmonicity the topic of which I have gone over in some detail in prior threads
though usually in terms of the tightening or lengthening of nodes (fundamental and overtones) as regards to pitch,
scale length and string gauges.

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-07-2023 at 08:46 PM. Reason: grammer correction

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD